Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
No. They dropped your car.
Funny story:

Right out of college I worked for a robotics company and happened to be training an underbody sealer robot at a plant. I happened to get the orientation wrong (mistakes happen) on the spray head while manually moving it around and lifted the car body up off the carrier it was on (yeah while I was standing under it--yeah I was young and stupid).

You'd though all heck broke loose: Alarms started blaring, someone mashed the E-stop button on the line and suddenly there was like a dozen people there.

They all gathered around and lifted the body up enough to where I could retract the robot and they could set it back down on the carrier.

Didn't get much scolding about that (it was pre-production).

Of course about the same time one of the robots couldn't find a solution to the path programmed during a test run and stopped while up in a wheelwell--the line kept on moving. Sounded like a gundshot went off when the robot snapped in 1/2....

Good times!
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Funny story:

Right out of college I worked for a robotics company and happened to be training an underbody sealer robot at a plant. I happened to get the orientation wrong (mistakes happen) on the spray head while manually moving it around and lifted the car body up off the carrier it was on (yeah while I was standing under it--yeah I was young and stupid).

You'd though all heck broke loose: Alarms started blaring, someone mashed the E-stop button on the line and suddenly there was like a dozen people there.

They all gathered around and lifted the body up enough to where I could retract the robot and they could set it back down on the carrier.

Didn't get much scolding about that (it was pre-production).

Of course about the same time one of the robots couldn't find a solution to the path programmed during a test run and stopped while up in a wheelwell--the line kept on moving. Sounded like a gundshot went off when the robot snapped in 1/2....

Good times!
About 20 years ago the contractor that was making the next generation of weather satellites for NOAA was doing some testing. There's a lift and rotate table that is used to make sure everything is in place properly. It lifts the satellite and rotates it 90°, then 180° in the Y axis, so the satellite has to be bolted to the table. They normally are building these satellites 2 at a time. Team A had prepped satellite A for testing and left it until they were ready to run the test. Team B came in was ready to test satellite B so they put it on the second table but needed to bolt satellite B to the table. They borrowed the bolts from satellite A and ran their test, leaving a post-it note on the monitor of one of the engineers from team A saying "we borrowed your bolts".

You guessed it. Team A came in and started running their tests. The table lifted and started to rotate, causing the satellite to fall off. How would you like to be the one that just dropped a $0.5B satellite?

It was the early days of memes when such things were emailed around. I wish I still had this one. It showed the team in clean room gear looking at this satellite that has just been dropped 3-4' to the floor, stray parts scattered around, along with an image of the post-it note. The text read something like: "Satellite $0.5B. Bolts $2.35. Post-it note priceless."

OP
OP
sockmeister

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Post a screenshot of what that page looks like (you can black out any personal info).

Back when I ordered, you'd get that checkmark only AFTER it moved to the next step, which was confusing.
Sponsored