Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Prem AWD, 2019 F150, ‘94 Vet, 1948 Willys
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just had my Mach-e in for service and recalls on lots of issues including PAAK. Field Service Engineer replaced “Connector/Harness that goes to the RFA module” due to a found corrosion. My service ticket says, “(Note: I PHONE 8 WILL NOT WORK AS KEY PER. FSE DUE TO THE PROGRAMMING OF VEHICLE.” Ford says Ford Pass works with IOS 13.0 and above. My iPhone is updated way past 13.0. Something seems off on that. Is it the version of IOS or the model of the iPhone that determines if PAAK will work? Or does working with Ford Pass not guarantee working as PAAk?
Sponsored

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
There’s no reason IPhone 8 shouldn’t work. Paak requires min of Bluetooth 4.2 , iPhone 8 has Bluetooth 5.0.

OP
OP
Indy Mike

Indy Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There’s no reason IPhone 8 shouldn’t work. Paak requires min of Bluetooth 4.2 , iPhone 8 has Bluetooth 5.0.
I wonder what the FSE means by “the programming of the car”?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
In Ford terms this means "I have no clue what to do or how PaaK works so we'll just put this down so that the customer can stop asking questions"

The car has no programming to work with specific phones but there are hardware limitations which have been described already.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
I’m assuming is because iPhone 8 came with iOS 11 and they are using that as a scapegoat.
call the fordpass customer service instead. You likely need to delete the mach e Bluetooth connection in your phone, then reset paak and Bluetooth from the settings in the vehicle.
after that try to setup Paak again.

OP
OP
Indy Mike

Indy Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In Ford terms this means "I have no clue what to do or how PaaK works so we'll just put this down so that the customer can stop asking questions"

The car has no programming to work with specific phones but there are hardware limitations which have been described already.
I’m assuming is because iPhone 8 came with iOS 11 and they are using that as a scapegoat.
call the fordpass customer service instead. You likely need to delete the mach e Bluetooth connection in your phone, then reset paak and Bluetooth from the settings in the vehicle.
after that try to setup Paak again.
it appeares to be working. I just set it up. Almost didn’t try because of what the FSE wrote on my shop ticket. If I have problems this time I’ll try to get a firmer answer from Ford. IOS version or iPhone model, which drives obsolescence?

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
it appeares to be working. I just set it up. Almost didn’t try because of what the FSE wrote on my shop ticket. If I have problems this time I’ll try to get a firmer answer from Ford. IOS version or iPhone model, which drives obsolescence?
Apple is really big on backwards compatibility compared to android. Ios15 compatibility went back 6 device generations. The Paak requirement for iOS 15 likely has to do with utilizing features that were added in that update and compatibility with the app. All those devices also have the required Bluetooth hardware (iPhone 6s is the oldest u can use).
Sponsored