PAAK with iPhone: should I need to stand next to the door for 5 seconds?

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I have PAAK enabled with an iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 15.5 (2022 MME AWD Prem ER) and it seems like PAAK is consistently slow. I walk up to the driver's side door, none of the lights come on as I approach, and then I have to stand there for about 5 seconds before I hear a couple of quiet noises and the puddle lights activate. If I press the door button before then, it often fails to open the door on the first try, but it always "works" shortly thereafter. This may not sound like a big deal, but it's enough for me to relegate PAAK to "backup" and use the key fob as primary. The key fob works perfectly as expected, unlocking and turning on some lights while I'm still approaching.

Any tips to improve PAAK? Any other iPhone users with a better experience? This happens both near my house, but also away from my house (far away from any other interfering keys). I've tried changing the alarm settings and rebuilding my profile and PAAK connection, but no luck. FordPass has "location always" set, and I've tried restarting and even reinstalling it. Thanks in advance!

PS: I'm on day 4 with this car, so be gentle! So far it's safe to say that FordPass has been a disappointment to this new owner.
Sponsored

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I have an iPhone XS Max and PAAK behaves the same way with me. I believe the slowness is due to the reliance on Bluetooth.

My PAAK also stopped working this week but it worked last week so who knows.

OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I have an iPhone XS Max and PAAK behaves the same way with me. I believe the slowness is due to the reliance on Bluetooth.

My PAAK also stopped working this week but it worked last week so who knows.
Thanks! Super helpful, and also a little disappointing :(

cbcasas

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Is this happening as of just recently? Mine has been working 50/50 lately. I predict from the recent FordPass update.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Yeah, thatā€™s about how mine works now too. I agree that it seems to have degraded a little recently. Itā€™s like Ford Pass and PAAK along with it go into deeper sleep more often and it doesnā€™t always get woken up near the car. It had been working pretty well for me for a while before.

If itā€™s any consolation, Iā€™ve used PAAK exclusively since I got the car a year and a half ago. I like not carrying keys around anymore. I havenā€™t been locked out yet either (knock on wood.) I think I had to use the code on the door maybe once or twice and it worked.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Is this happening as of just recently? Mine has been working 50/50 lately. I predict from the recent FordPass update.
My PAAK was working quite well until the most recent Ford Pass update.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I have PAAK enabled with an iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 15.5 (2022 MME AWD Prem ER) and it seems like PAAK is consistently slow. I walk up to the driver's side door, none of the lights come on as I approach, and then I have to stand there for about 5 seconds before I hear a couple of quiet noises and the puddle lights activate. If I press the door button before then, it often fails to open the door on the first try, but it always "works" shortly thereafter. This may not sound like a big deal, but it's enough for me to relegate PAAK to "backup" and use the key fob as primary. The key fob works perfectly as expected, unlocking and turning on some lights while I'm still approaching.

Any tips to improve PAAK? Any other iPhone users with a better experience? This happens both near my house, but also away from my house (far away from any other interfering keys). I've tried changing the alarm settings and rebuilding my profile and PAAK connection, but no luck. FordPass has "location always" set, and I've tried restarting and even reinstalling it. Thanks in advance!

PS: I'm on day 4 with this car, so be gentle! So far it's safe to say that FordPass has been a disappointment to this new owner.
Yeah, this is normal, sometimes it helps to have the Fordpass app open or your phone in your hand. Sometimes there's interference if you've got other keys or maybe AirPods in your pocket.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Yeah, thatā€™s about how mine works now too. I agree that it seems to have degraded a little recently. Itā€™s like Ford Pass and PAAK along with it go into deeper sleep more often and it doesnā€™t always get woken up near the car. It had been working pretty well for me for a while before.

If itā€™s any consolation, Iā€™ve used PAAK exclusively since I got the car a year and a half ago. I like not carrying keys around anymore. I havenā€™t been locked out yet either (knock on wood.) I think I had to use the code on the door maybe once or twice and it worked.
It seems to me that once the the car is deep sleep, itā€™s really hard to get PAAK to work until the car comes out of its slumber.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Yeah, this is normal, sometimes it helps to have the Fordpass app open or your phone in your hand. Sometimes there's interference if you've got other keys or maybe AirPods in your pocket.
This post reminds that Iā€™ve also had better PAAK experience when I close the app and then reopen it.
Also, if I have my Bluetooth headsets connected to my I have to turn off my headset so that PAAK can connect the Mach Eā€™s Bluetooth for PAAK work.

OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Thanks guys!! I appreciate all of these quick and helpful replies. I'll stop trying to troubleshoot this, and instead hope that they can improve it again with a FordPass update. It's encouraging to know that for some people it worked better previously.

Maybe I'll use the key fob at night (for the puddle lights!) and PAAK during the day :)

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
Sometimes it works like it should, like magic!

Paraphrasing what someone else said in another thread: Sometimes it makes you linger outside your car long enough that passersby think you are stealing your own car.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I would suggest updating the Bluetooth software on the car (the RFA module) at your dealer to improve performance. Doors seem to open pretty much instantly on my car.

OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I would suggest updating the Bluetooth software on the car (the RFA module) at your dealer to improve performance. Doors seem to open pretty much instantly on my car.
Oh wow. To clarify, you have an iPhone for PAAK and the car unlocks while you're still approaching it? You see the lights flash before you get to the car?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Oh wow. To clarify, you have an iPhone for PAAK and the car unlocks while you're still approaching it? You see the lights flash before you get to the car?
Yes, iPhone. I have welcome lighting turned off to save battery. Nothing happens before I press the button, then it unlocks and opens right after.

OP
OP

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Yes, iPhone. I have welcome lighting turned off to save battery. Nothing happens before I press the button then it unlocks and opens right after.
I see. Thanks!
Sponsored