Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
MedTech Software Engineer.
Country flag
Hello all.
How can I get Park Assistance to work better? I drive by an open spot and the software does not recognize it. I back up, try again, still nothing. Could I be too close or too far from the spot? This happens for both parallel and perpendicular parking.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Are you following the directions?

OP
OP
Anton

Anton

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
Country flag

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Honestly....I have never even touched that button. The demo videos I saw took so long for the car to park that I could have done it myself and walked away before it parks itself. Parking is about the easiest thing possible so it baffles me why that feature even exists.

However, if you are curious to see how it works, I think someone said it works better when other vehicles are on both sides. Doesn't do as well in clear space apparently.

Again....I really don't know because I haven't had enough spare time to mess with it.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, I'm driving like 5-10 MPH and have my blinker turned in the direction I want to park. You can see the same behavior in this demo.
You have to activate it with the button.

OP
OP
Anton

Anton

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
Country flag
You have to activate it with the button.
I thought it would be common sense that I already activated it with the hard button and then the button on the display.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I thought it would be common sense that I already activated it with the hard button and then the button on the display.
I believe it doesn’t actually read lines and needs to be parked by other cars to work. Preferable with a car on either side.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nope. Never assume people's inability to follow directions.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I believe it doesn’t actually read lines and needs to be parked by other cars to work. Preferable with a car on either side.
Correct. If there are 5 empty spaces and then a car,, it will park behind (parallel) or next to (perpendicular) the car. No cars and it won’t park.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Haven’t tried it yet on this car.

My last car had parallel parking. I found I had to plan pretty far in advance. IE, hit the button well before I got near the cars I wanted to park in between.

Just like closing the frunk and closing the charger port door……. It takes practice.

Echostorm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black Prem MME x4
Occupation
Code Monkey
Country flag
Nope. Never assume people's inability to follow directions.
After 20 years of writing software, Douglas Adams quote about fools is something I live by. "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools"

On the topic at hand, the few times I've tried the parking assist, it seemed much happier when there was a car on both sides.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have successfully used it when there is only 1 car, perpendicular parking. It goes by empty spaces, where I WOULD park, and then sees the car, and parks next to it, where I would not park.

I see it's value when there is tight parallel parking, although I would probably choose to not park there. It also has value in not hitting the tires/wheels on the curb, although I change my right mirror to watch that.

I see little value in perpendicular parking. I also park far out, and there aren't usually cars.

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
Don't have my Mach E yet, but have had Ford's parking function in a 12 Explorer and now a 19 Edge. You have to turn the system on well in advance of the spot you are planning to park in. If the front of your car is too close to the start of the opening you are aiming for it won't see that spot as acceptable. You also have to be very close to the cars you are parking next to. It's pretty natural for parallel parking, but for perpendicular it's unnaturally close to the cars you will be parking between. Due to this close start it always takes 2 shots to pull in to perpendicular spots. This is why it's incredibly impractical for perpendicular spots.
But I use it fairly often for parallel spots in a downtown area that has pretty tight spots. It can squeeze the car in to some amazingly small spots. Though I have to say I don't usually want to be in those tight spots because I don't have any faith in the people around me to get their cars safely out if they leave before I return.
Also, it will scan at those higher speeds but you only have a certain amount of time to stop after it finds a spot before it assumes you didn't want that spot and starts looking again. I doubt you could stop in time at 10 mph without doing a panic style stop.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
One of the problems with using it in a downtown situation is that, by the time it’s found a parallel spot and is ready for you to maneuver, some moron has come up right behind you and is annoyed that you’re not moving (at least in Philly) ?

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
One of the problems with using it in a downtown situation is that, by the time it’s found a parallel spot and is ready for you to maneuver, some moron has come up right behind you and is annoyed that you’re not moving (at least in Philly) ?
I have experienced this... though I have found keeping the turn signal on, even though it's not needed to search on the right side of the car, does help.
Sponsored