carinquiryad

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hi - We are deciding on getting a 2022 Mach-E Premium Extended AWD. We are in New Hampshire and We live in an apartment and there are chargers but we do not have a covered garage.

Does the car get really hot with the panoramic roof while parked / while driving? I believe there is no build in "shade" and am wondering if the car gets really hot in the summer due to the panoramic roof. Please do share your thoughts. Thank you.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Lots of discussion, but the answer is no.

Made it through the hot Florida summer no issues. I only bother with my windshield sunshade like half the time, but even it isnā€™t needed.

The roof and windshield coating is fantastic at rejecting heat.

My dark grey GTPE is cooler inside than my last car (white sedan with ceramic tint).

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Thank you. Do not want to buy more stuff (more clutter) if I can help it.
Give it at least part of a summer before making a decision to buy such a thing. I live in the tropics (19 North latitude) ā€” itā€™s sunny and warm to hot virtually non stop. I donā€™t have any issues with the sun roof. One of the earlier responders lives in the Phoenix area, same for him. Another lives in Vermont. Ditto. And @Mach1E checks in from Florida.

Save the money for a year. Youā€™ll know by then. I think the sunroof is one of the best features in the car. Makes in nice and airy looking imo.

Last edited:

Jimbo

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium 4X
Country flag
No. And it must have an incredibly good IR coating, as I don't even feel the sun through it. The only time I feel the sun is when it's shining in through the side windows.

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag
Here in sunny South Florida, I find the windshield and sunroof are very effective at blocking heat from the sun. Surfaces are surprisingly touchable after parking for hours, and basically zero heat sensation while driving. And this is with the non-perforated black interior of the Route 1.

I have to say, my side windows with nano-carbon tint (Suntek CXP) appear to block even more heat, but the windshield and sunroof are good enough that I'm not going to bother to tint them. Before tinting the side windows, the heat coming through them was very evident.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
I tinted my glass roof with 25% and it's noticeably better. I also did the front side windows with 35% to approx match the rears, and 5% on the rear glass. The 5% is great if you drive when it's dark. It really cuts down on the headlights behind you.

My mom has a Model 3 with a glass roof and she hates it. She tries to schedule her driving to avoid the hottest times of the day due to it.

40Watts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Edge, Fusion Hybrid, GTPE Pending
Country flag
This probably isnā€™t the right thread for this question, but what about the winter? Does the cabin hold any heat in the winter?

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
I'll just add that the glass roof has exceeded all expectations I had even after reading how well it worked from others. The only real negative IMO is the liability of a rock getting kicked up and cracking it.

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
I don't have a glass roof and I don't play one on TVšŸ˜Š. There is another thread that has an extensive discussion on the glass roof. Many people are happy with it, a few people don't like it. I avoided it because I've been there, done that on another car and basically forgot it was there. Also, I didn't want to possibly pay to replace it if it was damaged.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
This probably isnā€™t the right thread for this question, but what about the winter? Does the cabin hold any heat in the winter?
Just like any car. Not really.

Valkyrja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GTPE, Star White
Occupation
I hack things
Country flag
I live in a desert. I see 120*F+ days (about 20% humidity, very little cloud cover). Yes, a shade is needed here. It probably is not needed in most places.

at home I parked the car outside for four hours and the glass was very hot to the touch inside of the vehicle. Heat could be felt radiating. We installed a shade and things are better.
Sponsored