circatee

First Name
circatee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Ford
Country flag
Curious, are you in Georgia or a state that is often rather hot, and own a Mustang with a Panoramic Roof?
If so, do you feel it keeps the heat out sufficiently?

Thoughts...
Sponsored

AtomicInternet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS, Mach E Premium
Country flag
I'm in South Carolina and believe the tint is stronger than what I put on my windows (15%). I tint all but the front on my cars and the heat is much better. Haven't noticed any more heat with the Mach-E than other cars I've owned. Make sure you enable the global window down. I start up the car and hold unlock to put all windows down and it clears heat fast.

RobbertPatrison

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice White Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Despite all reports to the contrary, the glass roof is much warmer than the normal steel roof and also is much more sensitive to damage from rocks.
In summer I am using the roof cover from Amazon which has a second silver layer. In winter I can take it off..

dc11mike

First Name
Daewon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
I have 2022 MachE Premium. Yes definitely. I also have uv protect tint on my front driver and passenger side as well as clear uv protect tint on my windshield. Back seat and rear window and roof glass already comes with uv protection from the factory.
I live in Los Angeles. Last year I drove to Las Vegas & Grand Canyon in August. Temperature was around 110 degrees midday. Glass will get very hot to touch, but it will block heat ray from the sun. Still need air conditioning. Over time interior will get hot.
You can tell the difference just by rolling down the window on the side where sun is shining on your face/skin. If window has uv protected tint you will feel far less heat compare to when you lower your window to expose to direct sunlight.
Visit your local auto tint establishments. Some have a heat lamp to show you the difference between uv treat tint compared to regular window glass.
UV protected tint will cost you extra. For me it’s worth it.

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Very interesting. So the distinction is between radiated energy vs conducted energy. The glass roof mostly stops the radiated energy from coming through, but conducts heat into the cabin. The metal roof stops all radiated heat and will conduct less heat because of roof insulation. That might explain the different opinions people have of glass roofs.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Very interesting. So the distinction is between radiated energy vs conducted energy. The glass roof mostly stops the radiated energy from coming through, but conducts heat into the cabin. The metal roof stops all radiated heat and will conduct less heat because of roof insulation. That might explain the different opinions people have of glass roofs.
Exactly, good summary. This means adding tint to the roof won't help, but adding a shade or insulating layer might.

I'll also add that once you start moving, the wind will cool down the glass to ambient temperature and it will emit less heat into the cabin than when it was sitting in the sun.

I drive mostly highway and it's not usually more than 90ÂşF, so the roof really doesn't bother me at all in the summer (winter conductive loss is another story however).

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Exactly.

That said, I live in Florida, it’s August, I have no extra tint and don’t even bother with my sun shade.

Most of the time, I forget I even have the glass roof. It works great!

My Dark Matter Grey Mach E with the glass roof is SIGNIFICANTLY cooler Inside after sitting in the sun that my last car- white Chevy SS sedan with ceramic tint and a sun shield.

Yes, it gets hot to the touch, but who touches their glass roof?

Is the metal roof cooler? Probably. But if heat isn’t an issue in my basically black car in the summer, I wouldn’t want to give up the glass roof.

robbinbadams

First Name
Robbin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
California Route 1
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Curious, are you in Georgia or a state that is often rather hot, and own a Mustang with a Panoramic Roof?

Thoughts...
I’m in houston and temps today above 103F. It is amazing how the panoramic roof blocks the infrared radiation even though if you touch it it will be very hot.
it is as good or better than any other car roof.
I bought an inside roof cover for last summer and used it all summer. This year I have not used it and don’t see any difference even though we are much hotter this year over last year.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Those who wait to do anything discover they don't need to...

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I have 2022 MachE Premium. Yes definitely. I also have uv protect tint on my front driver and passenger side as well as clear uv protect tint on my windshield. Back seat and rear window and roof glass already comes with uv protection from the factory.
I live in Los Angeles. Last year I drove to Las Vegas & Grand Canyon in August. Temperature was around 110 degrees midday. Glass will get very hot to touch, but it will block heat ray from the sun. Still need air conditioning. Over time interior will get hot.
You can tell the difference just by rolling down the window on the side where sun is shining on your face/skin. If window has uv protected tint you will feel far less heat compare to when you lower your window to expose to direct sunlight.
Visit your local auto tint establishments. Some have a heat lamp to show you the difference between uv treat tint compared to regular window glass.
UV protected tint will cost you extra. For me it’s worth it.
Windshield came coated from the factory...

StrWhtMME

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Electric Focus. 21 MME Prm SR, 23 Maverick
Country flag

Thoughts...
I live 6 miles from you in Marietta. No issues with glass roof. It has two different coatings to repel sun and heat. Much different than ICE Mustangs with glass roofs. I have a 21 MME since April of 2021

jgcom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X premium, '21
Occupation
Physics prof.
Country flag
South Louisiana here. I have the factory tints, which means the windshield—and no other glass— has extra coating to reflect the mid-infrared. At work I park in an uncovered lot (seen in my thumbnail) all day. So even with window and roof covers, over a full work day, the inside air comes to thermal equalibrium with the outside air, which is plenty hot. Without the sunroof cover, the inside surfaces would get much hotter and the hot sunroof glass would directly radiate into my head when I got in to drive.

I've had the car a bit more than two years and have settled on the following: During May–September I keep my reflective/insulating HeatShield on the inside roof glass semi-permanently. When parked, I usually put in the windshield and front-door HeatShields, too, during 90+ F weather.

Last edited:

jpiazza67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium x
Country flag
Bought my MME last April. It’s been 90-100 in NC since the end of May and it’s been the hottesf summer ever. Frankly, I find that it’s not any hotter than my last car with a metal roof, I drove that for 10 years.
Sponsored