Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Technically that’s not a failure though right?

That’s the recall software warning and preventing an assumed inevitable failure.

Based on my unscientific observations of a significant number of HVJB “failures” post recall, I’m convinced that they weren’t all necessarily going to weld shut or open.
Yeah that depends on your definition of "failure". When the power limit kicks in it means your contactor is starting to fail, so the power limit prevents it from getting much worse. You can drive for an extended period of time with the power limit before HVBJB replacement with mostly no issues. Personally I would say the power limit has been mostly successful in preventing people from getting completely stranded. The power limit is damage control and it works.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Yeah that depends on your definition of "failure". When the power limit kicks in it means your contactor is starting to fail, so the power limit prevents it from getting much worse. You can drive for an extended period of time with the power limit before HVBJB replacement with mostly no issues. Personally I would say the power limit has been mostly successful in preventing people from getting completely stranded. The power limit is damage control and it works.
Would love to see the data on false positives.

Based on how buggy the software is on this car, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s common.

Unfortunately I don’t know that they even check, just replace the HVJB when you get the turtle mode.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Would love to see the data on false positives.

Based on how buggy the software is on this car, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s common.

Unfortunately I don’t know that they even check, just replace the HVJB when you get the turtle mode.
Yes, there are probably some false positives, more so with the 2023 vehicles. It's possible that every once an a while the contacts don't close perfectly so you could get a SVS, but then the connection might be back to normal the next time you drive it. I've observed intermittent behavior like this on the HVBJBs I've examined. Contact resistance varies each cycle somewhat on some contactors. The SSM Ford released for the 2023's modifies the failure counter to try to reduce false positives from this.

MTNestr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks everyone.
Now I feel a little better that I won’t be completely stranded and hopefully I can limp home and call my Ford dealer.

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
Thanks everyone.
Now I feel a little better that I won’t be completely stranded and hopefully I can limp home and call my Ford dealer.
Here's the thing - "limping" is a complete overstatement. When I got my (post recall software) SVS warning, I was 40 miles from home and still had a number of stops to make, including picking my daughter up from school and getting her to her dance classes across town. I was careful not to floor it, but I didn't really notice any major performance degradation - I wasn't holding up traffic with flashers on, I was driving pretty much normally. Even with reduced power, the thing still drives like a normal (non-sports) car.
Sponsored