Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Performance Cyber Orange
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Just had my 3rd failure tonight in less than a year of ownership. I'm trying my best to like this car but it's in the shop more than any car I've owned. Is this considered a lemon yet? What are my options? Can Ford buy this back from me?

*Update*
I contacted the Ford dealership where I bought my Mach E and they escalated my service claim. They are going to get me in as soon as they can. I dropped of my vehicle for service yesterday. They said that the HVJB is on back order though because this is happening so often to MMEs and will take some time.

They set me up with a rental car in the meantime. That process was a debocle as well because as of July 1, Ford changed their policy to only pay for rental cars that are Fords. Because of this policy, and Ford electric vehicles have had so many failures and recalls lately, with so many vehicles in the shop, every rental car company within 100 miles in the Bay Area had zero Ford rental cars. I drove 3 hours away yesterday to grab a Ford Explorer rental.

My MME is currently being serviced and they told me timeline is between 2 weeks and 2 months. The salesperson that I bought my vehicle from a year ago advised me to contact Ford about a Buyback, which I began the process for. They told me that Ford is automatically approving these on all electric vehicles because of all the issues they have had. They own a Mach E and said they did a Buyback on their own vehicle and because these cars have dropped in price in the last year, they sold back their 21 MME for a 23 MME and their monthly payment went down $160 per month.

They told me that they aren't having these issues on the F-150 Lightnings so I may trade my MME for a Lightning. This was the first Ford I've bought. I spent $80,000 for my MME and it's been the least reliable new car I've ever owned. It has left a sour taste so I may trade in for an Ionic 5 N or EV6 GT, or even an ICE 24 Mustang GT or Dark Horse. I'll keep you posted with updates.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Three on a 2022? That's crazy. I am not a fan of the lemon law, but your car makes a good case for it.

BTW - do you drive at high speeds on a regular basis? I mean 85+ mph. Not that it should matter, as you should be able to drive at 100 mph all day if you want to. Assuming you are following the law, of course. 🤣

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Third one? That’s bananas. Ford really needs to permanently resolve this issue.

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently car-less, but hope to get a MME!
Country flag
Has this been fixed for the 2023 models? I'm considering a 2023 Mach-E and would prefer not to have to deal with this.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Just had my 3rd failure tonight in less than a year of ownership. I'm trying my best to like this car but it's in the shop more than any car I've owned. Is this considered a lemon yet? What are my options? Can Ford buy this back from me- maybe trade me for a Dark Horse? 🤞
Make sure your dealer has tried SSM 51705 if they haven't yet. The lowered sensitivity might make it less likely to trip a SVS.

tfitzgex

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium extended range AWD
Country flag
I’m on my 3rd hvbjb since new. I would lemon law it. Ford hasn’t figured it out yet.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Has this been fixed for the 2023 models? I'm considering a 2023 Mach-E and would prefer not to have to deal with this.
It was supposed to be resolved in Spring of 2022, but apparently some cars are still failing. It appears the failure rate of cars built after the Spring update is much lower, but not zero. I have a 2021 and never had a failure. It is strange that some cars seem more succeptable than others.

High speed is the most common failure use case. I rarely, if ever, exceed 80 mph so that may be why I have not seen the failure.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I know this is a forum where problems get posted but it seems to me like there has been an uptick in HVBJB failures along with reported failures of 2023 vehicles/updated parts. Still on the original myself.

PhillyYa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium Extended
Country flag
three times for the same repair should meet your state's requirements for a lemon law claim.

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
I have a 2022 GTPE, built January 2022, delivered in May 2022 (due to chip shortage and shipping delays, 14K miles and on the original HVBJB. The car has been nearly flawless (only minor issues like the cosmetic metal flashing on the drivers door window switches (parts have arrived under warranty, but have not had a chance to get there yet) and a couple of dealer firmware updates as well as the parking brake preventative wiring update to be done on 2021 and early 2022 MME.

The car is 100% reliable (so far) and I really enjoy driving it.

Mike Curtis

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Acura RSX Type S, 2011 Honda Element AWD EX
Occupation
consultant and specialty camera operator
Country flag
I think I'm about to get my third:
-#1: picked up my new '22 car Sept 28th, 2022 (well after the "fix" was implemented)
-#2: got the HVBJB alert that SAME DAY I picked it up, it took a week or two to get it fixed/replaced
-#3: got the alert driving over the Grapevine (high dessert pass) last weekend, just dropped it off this morning.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think I'm about to get my third:
-#1: picked up my new '22 car Sept 28th, 2022 (well after the "fix" was implemented)
-#2: got the HVBJB alert that SAME DAY I picked it up, it took a week or two to get it fixed/replaced
-#3: got the alert driving over the Grapevine (high dessert pass) last weekend, just dropped it off this morning.
The Grapevine has probably killed more HVBJBs than any other road.

Did you get SVS, or SSN?

Reactions: ARK

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have a 2022 GTPE, built January 2022, delivered in May 2022 (due to chip shortage and shipping delays, 14K miles and on the original HVBJB. The car has been nearly flawless (only minor issues like the cosmetic metal flashing on the drivers door window switches (parts have arrived under warranty, but have not had a chance to get there yet) and a couple of dealer firmware updates as well as the parking brake preventative wiring update to be done on 2021 and early 2022 MME.

The car is 100% reliable (so far) and I really enjoy driving it.
My 22 GT was also built in January, 12000 miles, only the guest profile glitch on remote start for an issue so far in 16 months. Maybe January was a good month for HVBJB’s! Most likely lack of failure (so far) due to cooler weather and max speed limit up here of 65 and I mostly drive around town so 55 and under.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
After seeing this I am convinced Ford really doesn’t have a clue how to fix this issue.

there should be zero failures when driving over a mountain pass.

a disgrace

mwtechy

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mustang v6, 2021 Mustang MachE Premium AWD Ex
Country flag
Just curious if they ever replaced the BECM in any of your repairs?
Sponsored