Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
My Feb-22 built GT is on the original HVBJB with just shy of 12K miles on it and next week I'll be heading over the Grapevine (both ways) and then about three weeks later I'll be doing it again. Even if my wife wasn't going to be with me on both trips I still would be planning to take it slow and steady (well, not too slow). For a long time I'd assumed that it my original HVBJB failed and was replaced, I'd be set. Now it seems that's just not the case. 🤯

I rarely, if ever, exceed 80 mph ...
But seriously Mike, how can you live with yourself? You (close to) never exceed 80 mph with your GT??? I thought exceeding 80 mph was the point! 🤣
Sponsored

Mike Curtis

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Acura RSX Type S, 2011 Honda Element AWD EX
Occupation
consultant and specialty camera operator
Country flag
The Grapevine has probably killed more HVBJBs than any other road.

Did you get SVS, or SSN?
SVS - what is SSN?

Update - After 5 days with no news, I checked in the with Galpin Ford, who THEN shared, for the first time, that there were a dozen vehicles ahead of mine for electrical service. Also new was that if it were a warranty repair, Ford would cover at most 10 days of rental car - both of these tidbits should have been shared ASAP when I dropped off the car. At drop-off, the service manager said I couldn't get in queue and wait until my turn came up and then bring in the car. I got home that day and realized I had missed a message the previous day from someone else at the dealership proposing just that. This is just a mess of bad customer service.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
SVS - what is SSN?

Update - After 5 days with no news, I checked in the with Galpin Ford, who THEN shared, for the first time, that there were a dozen vehicles ahead of mine for electrical service. Also new was that if it were a warranty repair, Ford would cover at most 10 days of rental car - both of these tidbits should have been shared ASAP when I dropped off the car. At drop-off, the service manager said I couldn't get in queue and wait until my turn came up and then bring in the car. I got home that day and realized I had missed a message the previous day from someone else at the dealership proposing just that. This is just a mess of bad customer service.
Service Vehicle Soon (SVS)
Stop Safely Now (SSN)

You can't drive the car if you get SSN. If the software detects a potential HVBJB failure, it displays SVS. That is what the "recall" software added, along with power reduction, to reduce the chance of a welded closed/open contactor - causing SSN to be displayed and requiring a tow.

Mike Curtis

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Service Vehicle Soon (SVS)
Stop Safely Now (SSN)

You can't drive the car if you get SSN. If the software detects a potential HVBJB failure, it displays SVS. That is what the "recall" software added, along with power reduction, to reduce the chance of a welded closed/open contactor - causing SSN to be displayed and requiring a tow.
Thanks for that info. Galpin has confirmed it is a bad HVBJB, they can get the parts no problem, the limit is the special lift to drop the battery pack and the techs to service the car. I was told Ford will cover a maximum of 10 days of rental car for warranty repair, and I was told to call Ford about this rental...implying they think it'll take more than 10 days. It has already been more than three weeks since I first took it into the dealership.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
At drop-off, the service manager said I couldn't get in queue and wait until my turn came up and then bring in the car.
I still can't believe that dealerships do this, especially when they then cry, "We have no/limited loaners! Whoa is us!" Get more loaners or let people drop their vehicle off at a scheduled day (even if it needs to be the day before). It's like they are just looking for uneccessary ways to piss of customers.

Reactions: ARK

Mike Curtis

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I still can't believe that dealerships do this, especially when they then cry, "We have no/limited loaners! Whoa is us!" Get more loaners or let people drop their vehicle off at a scheduled day (even if it needs to be the day before). It's like they are just looking for uneccessary ways to piss of customers.
After they'd done nothing for 5 days, I got the car back, but then more bad things happened:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-soon-alert-but-should-not.30142/#post-682141

thekat03

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
The dealerships really need more loaners. Our local Volvo dealership loaned my husband a C40 while they had his C40 in to install the towing hitch. They always have a few loaners, including an EV, and then sell the loaners at discounted price based on mileage. Yes, Volvo is a "luxury" brand (as they kept insisting when we were comparing the C40 to the MME), it shouldn't be that hard for Ford dealerships to set aside a few cars (or more for larger dealerships) for loaners for a year or two, and it's good for customer loyalty.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
After seeing this I am convinced Ford really doesn’t have a clue how to fix this issue.

there should be zero failures when driving over a mountain pass.

a disgrace
It's interesting, My last car a 21 Premium AWD EX failed in a hilly area. It failed as we went down one side of a hill as regenerative breaking was in full force. Maybe a 15-degree decline for a half-mile

I wonder if too much regenerative breaking could be a factor

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach-E GTPE (ordered), 20 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Software Systems Integrator
Country flag
This is total supposition, but here goes...

It seems like the bad HVBJB is a symptom, not the problem. It manages power flow into and out of the High Voltage Battery.
  • If the issue is happening during, or shortly after a charging session, I would suspect the problem was:
    • The charge port
    • The cable from the charge port to the onboard charger
    • The onboard charger
    • Cabling from the onboard charger to the HVBJB
  • If the problem happens while driving, and the car has not been charged immediately before, I would suspect:
    • One or more of the battery packs
    • Cabling from the battery packs to the HVBJB
    • Cabling from the HVBJB to the motors (possible causing more resistance than they should, creating more resistance heat in the HVBJB/contactors.
    • Motor or motors, again, not accepting the power being delivered and creating more heat from resistance.
The HVBJB may be the failure point, but that failure may be caused by other parts of the system.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is total supposition, but here goes...

It seems like the bad HVBJB is a symptom, not the problem. It manages power flow into and out of the High Voltage Battery.
  • If the issue is happening during, or shortly after a charging session, I would suspect the problem was:
    • The charge port
    • The cable from the charge port to the onboard charger
    • The onboard charger
    • Cabling from the onboard charger to the HVBJB
  • If the problem happens while driving, and the car has not been charged immediately before, I would suspect:
    • One or more of the battery packs
    • Cabling from the battery packs to the HVBJB
    • Cabling from the HVBJB to the motors (possible causing more resistance than they should, creating more resistance heat in the HVBJB/contactors.
    • Motor or motors, again, not accepting the power being delivered and creating more heat from resistance.
The HVBJB may be the failure point, but that failure may be caused by other parts of the system.
I believe it is simply contactors that are marginally rated. By that I mean any slight flaw at their upper limit causes them to overheat, increasing their resistance over time, which increases heat which eventually causes them to fail. The recall software detects either the increased resistance or increased temp (when it works) and gives the SVS alarm. That is why many alarm while at high speed (high current - high heat.)
Sponsored