Phone As Key - Does anyone's work consistently?

markb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E
Occupation
S/W Developer
Country flag
Hello fellow Mach-E owners. I'm wondering if anyone is finding that their Phone As a Key is working consistently. I've experienced it fail, like, often... maybe it works 1 out of 10 times. Most of the time, I'm entering my door key code, and back-up start passcode. I've learned not to depend on it and rarely go without the key fob these days. I'm using an iPhone Xs, latest IOS (16.1 -although it didn't work with any previous iOS version). I have the latest Mach E software updates, and latest FordPass app. Curious if anyone got it working to a point that they use it often. Or, if anyone has had similar problems and was able to fix them? Thanks in advance!
I find PAAK works for me, so long as I don't have a hand full of groceries. No joke. I seems to know when my hands are full....and then I have pull my phone, open FordPass and it works.

How well is works seems to be related to how awake the phone is...if I pull my phone out and unlock. it on the way to the car, it seems to work better.

So far, I've never had it completely fail....but sometimes I have to open FordPass to get the car to recognize PAAK.

I do alot of Mountain biking, so I'm happy not to have to take my key with me. On a road trip, I just bring my key and save the wait to get into the car.
Sponsored

epec

First Name
Wensen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150, 2022 Ford MME
Country flag
For the most part, I have not had issues when I use it. However, I still carry the key fob 99% of the time. I use the phone when I "run to the car to get something" at work or at home, and I have the fob put away. Always gets me into the car, the car detects it and I can start the car.
how do you keep the fob in the car? hide in the storage bin? but do you need to wrap it in foil to prevent the car to detect it ? my understanding is if we keep the key inside the car, the car won't lock itself ?

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
how do you keep the fob in the car? hide in the storage bin? but do you need to wrap it in foil to prevent the car to detect it ? my understanding is if we keep the key inside the car, the car won't lock itself ?
I just carry it in my pocket since I mainly use the fob. I only use the phone when I have forgotten or do not want to use the fob. I have heard about others hiding their fob in their car in faraday or ESD bags. The fob is small enough and I always carry the phone.

I cannot argue with those that say the fob is just another piece of stuff we have to carry, if you have a phone that is connected to the car. I am just old school and also do not want to get stuck if PAAK does not work. Of course, then hiding the key would be your back up. To each his own.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I find PAAK works for me, so long as I don't have a hand full of groceries. No joke. I seems to know when my hands are full....and then I have pull my phone, open FordPass and it works.
The probability of kick-to-open working on the tailgate is inversely proportional to the product of the bulk and weight of the objects in your hands. An additive lag kicks in if the load starts to slip.

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
It worked better before this recent OTA about the Bluetooth connectivity with the PAAK takes way longer than usual to connect to Bluetooth PAAK

machefan22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E 4X, 2003 Roush Mustang Convertible
Country flag
I'm using PAAK on a Pixel 6 Pro and have had pretty good luck so far. I haven't carried a fob with me since the day I drove it home from the dealership. On the FordPass app, I went to app info, battery, and set it to unrestricted. That way Android doesn't make it sleep. I rarely have to take the phone out of my pocket and open the app to unlock. I've seen no battery impact on the phone from that.

One thing I noticed while at home is my phone always stays connected to the PAAK Bluetooth device on the car unless I'm in the back yard with my phone. On rare occasions, like maybe 2% of the time, it doesn't instantly respond to pressing the door open button. The ring doesn't light up like it does when I walk up to the car from a distance where that Bluetooth device isn't connected. It happens so infrequently that I don't really worry about it.

RobbertPatrison

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice White Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
PAAK is quite terrible, but I still use it rather than carrying the thick fob in my pocket. PAAK fails about 1 in 5 times. Sometimes I get the "no key detected" warning after the car was started. And when that happens the car cannot be shifted out of park, which can be pretty annoying.
I suspect that the poor reliability of PAAK has something to with other bluetooth devices connecting at the same time. It is worse with earpods in.
Sponsored