Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Hey Guys,

2nd time this has happened to me. I usually don’t drive her longer distances ( office commute no more than 20 miles). But today & a week ago as well if I drive about 40 min the phone (aka Apple Car Play) starts sputtering ( music & Waze goes in & out) for a few minutes & then both the phone & car’s screen are inoperable.
Yes if I switch over to the cars native stuff it’s operating normally.
Both times the phone was on wireless charger & when I pick it up the phone seems hotter than it should. Do you think that’s the issue? Has anyone else experienced this?? I troll the forum regularly & have not seen this discussed.
Sponsored

cdy0118

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I think the wireless charging is causing the phone to be too hot to operate. And since CarPlay is handled by the phone, it also freezes.
Ok for me to use just Google navigation with phone on charging pad; warm but ok. When I use Spotify+navigation with it on the charging pad, it gets extremely hot like yours.

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
Have you updated your phone to iOS 15? There have been lots of stability issues with iOS 15 and CarPlay that have supposedly been greatly improved with iOS 15.1 which came out just a day or two ago.

The issues have been primarily around music and 3rd party maps.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Ya, iPhones get hot as hell on that wireless charger with the phone not doing anything, let alone running nav and music. I'd guess its over heating and flipping out.

You could try plugging it in with a cord on longer trips and see if that resolves the issue or not. I've done a 2ish hour trip with nav/music running and I had no issue, however I was not charging the device at the same time.

OP
OP
67 Stang Convertible

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Yes, it is most likely the heat. I did the same trip back yesterday after my post and just kept it in the cup holder. I had no issues on the way back. So i wonder if it is fixable. I hate the cords.

ClemHarvey

First Name
Clem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Country flag
My iPhone 12 freezes after a period when using CarPlay. I have tried the recommended fixes including:
  • Deleting the previous phone (iPhone 11 which worked fine) from both the vehicle and the phone
  • tried different Apple authentic cables
  • Check Siri is on.
  • Check permissions are on.
  • Turned Bluetooth Off and back On.
Freezing occurs after as little as 5 minutes or as long as 45 minutes and is sometimes preceded by some static in the music playback. I'm sure it's an iOS 15.1 issue as everything works fine before installing it.

OP
OP
67 Stang Convertible

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
My iPhone 12 freezes after a period when using CarPlay. I have tried the recommended fixes including:
  • Deleting the previous phone (iPhone 11 which worked fine) from both the vehicle and the phone
  • tried different Apple authentic cables
  • Check Siri is on.
  • Check permissions are on.
  • Turned Bluetooth Off and back On.
Freezing occurs after as little as 5 minutes or as long as 45 minutes and is sometimes preceded by some static in the music playback. I'm sure it's an iOS 15.1 issue as everything works fine before installing it.
I think we have seperate issues. Mine is definitely related to the phone getting hot. When I'm not charging on the wireless charger my car play is normal.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hey there! Ford's Phone As A Key™ (PAAK) is an intuitive technology that allows you to access and drive your vehicle without the need for a physical key. We want you to take advantage of this feature, so if you are needing additional support with PAAK take a look at these links below for some helpful tips and troubleshooting steps:

General Troubleshooting: https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...roubleshooting-tips-for-using-phone-as-a-key/

If you cannot unlock … https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...cannot-unlock-my-vehicle-with-phone-as-a-key/

How to start without PAAK or FOB https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...-use-my-phone-as-a-key-backup-start-passcode/

One stop shop: https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...-do-i-do-if-my-phone-as-a-key-is-not-working/

OP
OP
67 Stang Convertible

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Hey there! Ford's Phone As A Key™ (PAAK) is an intuitive technology that allows you to access and drive your vehicle without the need for a physical key. We want you to take advantage of this feature, so if you are needing additional support with PAAK take a look at these links below for some helpful tips and troubleshooting steps:

General Troubleshooting: https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...roubleshooting-tips-for-using-phone-as-a-key/

If you cannot unlock … https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...cannot-unlock-my-vehicle-with-phone-as-a-key/

How to start without PAAK or FOB https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...-use-my-phone-as-a-key-backup-start-passcode/

One stop shop: https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...-do-i-do-if-my-phone-as-a-key-is-not-working/
I appreciate you responding to this post. My phone as a key seems to work fine. However if I go on a longer drive somewhere around 40 min. and the phone is on the charger; the phone gets so hot it stops functioning. It is an apple XR. So my work around is not to leave it on the charger for long distances. Of course this is not ideal; so if your engineers know of a work around (yes i know I can plug it in with a cord, but don't want to) please let me know.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I appreciate you responding to this post. My phone as a key seems to work fine. However if I go on a longer drive somewhere around 40 min. and the phone is on the charger; the phone gets so hot it stops functioning. It is an apple XR. So my work around is not to leave it on the charger for long distances. Of course this is not ideal; so if your engineers know of a work around (yes i know I can plug it in with a cord, but don't want to) please let me know.
I found this last month, will it help?

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...fter-updating-an-iphone-to-ios-15-170939.html

OP
OP
67 Stang Convertible

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
Country flag

drironman

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback
Occupation
Veterinarian
Country flag
I experienced similar issue. First long road trip this weekend. Noticed after about 90 minutes CarPlay would stop working. Checked phone and it was very hot. Removed from charger and it did restart after being off charger and turning Bluetooth off then on

djett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
On a road trip last week with my Pixel 6 on the wireless charger. 2 hours in and android auto froze/screen went black. Seems the phone got too hot. So glad I had a copilot to navigate us through the 95/93 interchange in Boston. Pretty stressful. Guess I will only put on the charger if I actually need some juice...

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Wireless charging can be very finicky. If the alignment isn’t ideal it will cause excessive heat and crappy charging. If you are using a case, try removing it. Also, make sure the phone is completely centered over the charging pad.
personally I just use a USB C cable with my iPhone. Charges soo much faster.