Powertrain fault

ProllyDieWaiting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Country flag
I'm in need of suggestions/advice. To preface, my vehicle is a 2022 CA rt 1 built right around the end of May 2022 and purchsed in early August 22. It is at the dealership now so I can't confirm the exact build date, the date on the window sticker is 6/7/22 and I am aware of the HVBJB issues but supposedly the recalls do not apply to my vehicle.

In February I had my car plugged in at home for a couple days and got in to drive it and noticed it had not fully charged and was giving me the wrench with a service vehicle soon message. I had obligations and went ahead and drove it, by the time I finished and got it back home to plug in it gave me a charging error and then gave me the "stop safely now" and wouldn't turn on. It was towed (flat bed) to the dealership who "cleared the codes" and did a software update and couldn't/wouldn't give me any more information than that. I picked it up, it was working correctly for less than a month. Last week I had it plugged in and charging overnight and got in the next morning to find another service vehicle soon/powertrain fault message. This time I drove it directly to the dealership and told them not to "clear" or fix anything until they call me and tell me what they found. They tell me they had to open a ticket with ford hotline and that there were no error codes and the hotline advised them to give it back to me and just have me document how/when it happens and bring it back. I called ford (opened cases for both incidents) and spoke with a representative who told me the hotline instruction was for the dealership to do a drive test and test each module individually, and that the dealership never responded to that instruction. Customer service was then supposed to call the dealership and call me back. I heard nothing for 4 days, finally called customer service and was told I needed to go get my car and document how/when the fault happens bc they can't find anything wrong with it. They are now essentially refusing to respond to me, can't provide an answer as to what ever happened with the drive test and are claiming that was never recommended and the error cleared itself without any diagnosis codes.

I'm not really sure what to believe or what to do next. I don't think the HVBJB is in their consideration and I'm not sure whether it even should be based on my build date or how to convince them to take a look/test it, or how they would go about doing that. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Update: Build date on the door was 6/22
My ford customer service rep won't contact me back, I got a copy of the ford tech line conversation during which the tech indicated it was related to a charging problem and requested that the dealership attempt to charge my car with a level 3 fast charger, to which my dealership responded that the customer has not expressed any issues related to charging and that they hooked it up to a "240V level 3 charger" 🤦‍♀️ and it worked fine. I spoke with the dealership tech who argued with me that they didn't need to try a level 3 charger bc their 240V worked fine, any charging issues I had must be my home charger having a fault, and they "can't reproduce any codes so there's nothing wrong with it to fix." Ford customer service just puts me on hold and then hangs up. I'm at a loss... Ford corporate won't help me and the dealership is either completely incompetent or willfully negligent and have no plans to attempt to help me. I have one other large dealership with a service center in my area that I can try but if they're not helpful either I'm just screwed I guess...?

@Ford Motor Company
Sponsored

Last edited:

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Have you been able to rule out your home charger and it's connection?

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I think you have to go to another dealer, and get an OBD-II reader in the meanwhile so you can see what's going on with the diagnostic codes with your car.

OP
OP

ProllyDieWaiting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Country flag
Have you been able to rule out your home charger and it's connection?
The only charge issue I had was that first incident. Otherwise charging has not been problematic, it was fully charged this time when the message appeared. I don't have occasion to charge it anywhere else for the most part but even if I did I'm not sure how helpful that would be, as I charge frequently at home with no issue

OP
OP

ProllyDieWaiting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Country flag
I think you have to go to another dealer, and get an OBD-II reader in the meanwhile so you can see what's going on with the diagnostic codes with your car.
I will definitely be taking it to the other large dealership next time. Unfortunately I'm in OKC and there aren't a lot of options

OP
OP

ProllyDieWaiting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Country flag
Recommendation for OBD2 reader?

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I will definitely be taking it to the other large dealership next time. Unfortunately I'm in OKC and there aren't a lot of options
If you ask in the FDRS volunteers thread, someone can plug in your VIN and see what the dealer did and what codes it had.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Recommendation for OBD2 reader?
There's not much difference between them for pulling diagnostic codes. Just made sure you get one that works with an iphone if you have one. Car Scanner is the app that can connect to it and tell you if there's something going on.

OP
OP

ProllyDieWaiting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Country flag
Update:
My ford customer service rep won't contact me back, I got a copy of the ford tech line conversation during which the tech indicated it was related to a charging problem and requested that the dealership attempt to charge my car with a level 3 fast charger, to which my dealership responded that the customer has not expressed any issues related to charging and that they hooked it up to a "240V level 3 charger" 🤦‍♀️ and it worked fine. I spoke with the dealership tech who argued with me that they didn't need to try a level 3 charger bc their 240V worked fine, any charging issues I had must be my home charger having a fault, and they "can't reproduce any codes so there's nothing wrong with it to fix." Ford customer service just puts me on hold and then hangs up. I'm at a loss... Ford corporate won't help me and the dealership is either completely incompetent or willfully negligent and have no plans to attempt to help me. I have one other large dealership with a service center in my area that I can try but if they're not helpful either I'm just screwed I guess...?

OP
OP

ProllyDieWaiting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Country flag
Update:
Anyone? Ideas for recourse? The service center at the dealership lied both to me and to the ford tech line multiple times about various things. I will certainly take it in to the other dealership next time the issue appears, but is there really no recourse against this service center? I have their lies in writing. @Ford Motor Company no "this isn't the experience we want you to have?"

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Curious what your last OTA update was?

OP
OP

ProllyDieWaiting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Country flag
Try This First - Powertrain Malfunction / High-Voltage Battery Warning / Service Vehicle Soon While Charging

Try that if it happens again. Yes it could be your home charger causing it. Use a different dealer if you must.
I will follow this next time, thank you for your help! The 1st incident this procedure did not clear it (message changed from SVS to SSN) I didn't intentionally follow your procedure but in the course of the events it was powered off and left for >10min several times and message persisted. The second time I did not try that. Will do next time.

OP
OP

ProllyDieWaiting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Country flag
Try This First - Powertrain Malfunction / High-Voltage Battery Warning / Service Vehicle Soon While Charging

Try that if it happens again. Yes it could be your home charger causing it. Use a different dealer if you must.
2 weeks after being forced to pick my car up and being told there's nothing wrong with it, they did "everything" they could and were supposed to do, and it must be my home charger I got the following message from ford corporate via email "Our task force team was able to see that your vehicle has a Powertrain Malfunction issue. The diagnosis from them is the contactor control circuit is low. Please let me know if you would like assistance with scheduling an appointment with Metro Ford or another dealer of your choice so that we may get your vehicle repaired."

Turns out I'm not crazy and they did have the information they needed to diagnose and fix the problem but Ford doesn't require their dealerships to maintain any type of service standard. @Ford Motor Company
Sponsored