Preconditioning/remote start issue

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
Two issues.

1) Everytime I unlock the frunk, my car stops preconditioning. Anyone else have this "problem" or know why it's set up this way?

With a kid, I precondition 95% of the time and it especially sucks during a heat wave when I have to put something in the frunk.

2) Every now and then, the remote start hvac will randomly set itself to 22 degrees (celcius) and off. So when I'm expecting a cool car, it's 🔥. I rarely change my settings so it's generally at 19 and the lowest auto. I've never set it to 22 and off.
Sponsored

Mauser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e GT-PE Space White
Country flag
I'd really like to be able to control climate from the FordPass App itself. It makes more sense than pre-setting climate. I had the same "preset" options in my '16 F-150, and it never really worked all that well.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
Two issues.

1) Everytime I unlock the frunk, my car stops preconditioning. Anyone else have this "problem" or know why it's set up this way?

With a kid, I precondition 95% of the time and it especially sucks during a heat wave when I have to put something in the frunk.

2) Every now and then, the remote start hvac will randomly set itself to 22 degrees (celcius) and off. So when I'm expecting a cool car, it's 🔥. I rarely change my settings so it's generally at 19 and the lowest auto. I've never set it to 22 and off.
To your first point, preconditioning shares similarities with remote starting in that they run the vehicle without a operator nearby. It's a safety item. Frunk or not, it's still a compartment that has access to components that could hurt someone if they were working on it and the vehicle was remotely started.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Have you tried using the Auto setting for remote start climate instead of using the last set value?

OP
OP
Nemy

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you tried using the Auto setting for remote start climate instead of using the last set value?
I haven't but I've tried it before and (in the winter) IIRC it was very hot or uncomfortably hot. Would suck if I had to default to that, though, because of a bug.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I haven't but I've tried it before and (in the winter) IIRC it was very hot or uncomfortably hot. Would suck if I had to default to that, though, because of a bug.
You could try it for the summer and switch back for the winter if it‘s too warm.

OP
OP
Nemy

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To your first point, preconditioning shares similarities with remote starting in that they run the vehicle without a operator nearby. It's a safety item. Frunk or not, it's still a compartment that has access to components that could hurt someone if they were working on it and the vehicle was remotely started.
That actually makes a lot of sense. Does every remote-start car have that for the hood though? I never had a reason to open my hood in the Bolt so I don't know if it would've stopped.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That actually makes a lot of sense. Does every remote-start car have that for the hood though? I never had a reason to open my hood in the Bolt so I don't know if it would've stopped.
Every car I’ve ever had with remote start does. Even aftermarket remote start systems come with a hood sensor so that they shut off if the hood is opened.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
yup. What @generaltso said. All the Fords will shut down if it’s already remote started. if the hood is already open, it’ll honk at you and not start.

OP
OP
Nemy

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Really? Nobody else has ever had this problem?

I haven't had an issue since I've set it to auto but it's only been a couple of weeks. I still don't think I should have to choose because of a software glitch.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I still don't think I should have to choose because of a software glitch.
Welcome to the MME software experience. It’s all about tolerance and compromise.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
It's possible that could be the answer based on Ford's best practices for safety, but I don't think it's a mandated requirement. Maybe it was just an engineering choice for any or no reason.

My Tesla used to shut off preconditioning when opening the doors, but following a recent OTA no longer shuts off preconditioning when opening the trunk, frunk, or doors. Perhaps with feedback, Ford could make a change to keep preconditioning active.
Sponsored