Projector vs. Reflector Headlights? Swappable?

Toolworker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Kona EV
Country flag
Are the projector headlights brighter or otherwise better than the reflector ones?

Can the projectors be retrofitted on a Standard?

I'm thinking about ordering an MME Standard, because the glass roof is too hot. Everything I want on the Premium is in the Comfort/Technology package except projector headlights. My night vision is aging along with the rest of me, and I need good lighting. If I have problems with the reflector headlights, is it possible to swap in a set of projectors?

Thanks in advance for any advice and information.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The reflector headlights on the Select received a marginal rating and were the one and only thing that kept the MME from earning Top Safety Pick + from IIHS. So apparently, there’s a substantial difference.

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
Are the projector headlights brighter or otherwise better than the reflector ones?

I'm thinking about ordering an MME Standard, because the glass roof is too hot. Everything I want on the Premium is in the Comfort/Technology package except projector headlights. My night vision is aging along with the rest of me, and I need good lighting. If I have problems with the reflector headlights, is it possible to swap in a set of projectors?

Are you assuming that the glass roof is too hot, rather than commenting on something you have experienced yourself?

I honestly have not once felt any sort of radiant heat from the sun on my head or otherwise coming from the glass roof, even when the sun is highest in the sky amd directly overhead. In fact I often forget I have a glass roof until I actually look up.

You might be thinking oh it's probably not hot where you are. But I can assure you I certainly feel the tremendous amount of radiant heat that is coming through the side windows on a sunny day, but absolutely nothing through the front windshield or the top glass roof since both reflect IR.

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
Its a easy $4000.00 headlight swap. I would install some 10% ceramic tint with at 80% TSER to help with the heat. About 400.00.

OP
OP

Toolworker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Kona EV
Country flag
Are you assuming that the glass roof is too hot, rather than commenting on something you have experienced yourself?
No, this is based on a test drive of a Premium that had been sitting in the sun for 15 minutes or less. I got in, rolled down the windows, and felt the breeze. But my (bald) head felt like it was under a broiler, and the glass was almost too hot to touch.

When we got back in my Kona EV, I pulled back the inside sunroof cover, and that glass felt just as hot. But the inside of the car was fine.

I see many posts about heat not being a problem with the glass roof, so maybe I could live with it. If not, I could make a cover out of some nice fabric with a bit of foam core, and velcro it on. Or they might show up in the aftermarket.
Thanks! That's very helpful. Looks like I get a Premium and cope with the glass roof if necessary.

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

The projector headlights cost about $2600 each. I’m not sure if they will work on the Select, though.

An aftermarket shade for the panoramic roof would be much cheaper.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Another thing about the reflector headlights: the blinker.

The front blinker just flashes, it doesn't have the fancy wipe like the premium does.
Sponsored