PSA - Check the glovebox for an extra key if you can't find it.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
For those of us who are taking posession of GT's and/or possibly some of the non-GT versions there's a second Key FOB included in the vehicle. This key FOB is located in a plastic wrapping with documents in the glove box. You can't see the key FOB based on how they wrap it between other documents and then vaccum seal the whole thing together.

I was puzzled as to why the car was acting strange, reported in the app that there was 2 keys and would never show welcome lights or activate the walk-away locking. The reason for all of these issues turned out to be the second key FOB in the glove box. Someone could have probably opened the door and drove away with the car for the week or so before I noticed it being there.

So PSA, check that plastic wrapped package in your glove box.

Lastly, to be clear, I'm not saying the non-GT come with a second key right now, but if they do one day, check the glove box. The reason for the PSA and why I think people should know - I came from 15 years of Audi's and for the last ~10 years it was impossible to lock a key in the car. I assumed that would be how all modern cars are. Guess not!
Sponsored

Last edited:

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
I thought the second key fob was just for GTs? Or at least that's what the dealer was saying...

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not in my 2021 Premium

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Congratulations. Hot car. The rest of us continue to be screwed out of a second fob. Ford you are a joke. We should all get them. Do GTs requite two fobs because they're so fast the car will separate requiring two fobs to continue to operate. What a joke Ford!!

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
says to RTFM!
The sticker on the package has the city in Mexico where it was made and it's called a "suplemental kit". I don't think the manual says "open the kit for another key"...

I thought the second key fob was just for GTs
I don't know and that could be the case. Just my opinion - It appears that Ford is taking the criticism and changing the way the GT's ship based on that feedback. I would assume this will also flow down to the newer non-GT versions. Another example is the frunk divider, the GT's don't have that as it was heavily criticized. We also have the "open frunk" button in the FordPass app.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
The sticker on the package has the city in Mexico where it was made and it's called a "suplemental kit". I don't think the manual says "open the kit for another key"...
I was trying to be funny and not intending anything towards you. I'm saying that your advice to others is to Read The F'ing Manual and you just might find a reward while doing so.

Another example is the frunk divider, the GT's don't have that as it was heavily criticized. We also have the "open frunk" button in the FordPass app.
Everyone should be getting this option, eventually. The frunk divider was a temporary, last minute addition for Job 1 vehicles while they worked out safety issues involving electronic opening of the frunk.
Sponsored