Purchasing a BuyBack?

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
DO NOT PURCHASE A BUYBACK UNLESS YOU ARE PAYING DIRT CHEAP ......

IF you ever want to sell again, you will have the most challenging time selling the car, dealers will give you pennies in trade in values and private party will be extremely tough because no one wants a lemon unless it is at a discount, not sure what are you seeing these cars selling for but if a clean title Mach E is $45k, don't touch a lemon above $35k and I personally won't touch it above $30k, this is as bad as flood when it comes to reselling.
Sponsored

mach-ebert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium FE
Occupation
Technology
Country flag
I recently purchased a buyback '21 Premium First Edition with 17,000. When I was shopping around, a comparable vehicle with 17,000 miles was retailing for $43k+. I was able to purchase mine for $33k. Obviously, I was hesitant and wanted to know all of the details regarding the buy-back. In my case, the vehicle was reacquired by Ford due to "clicking" front half shafts. The reason they reacquired it was due to a part shortage. About 5 months after it was reacquired the half shafts were replaced, and it was put back into the market. The car has been flawless since I bought it. The biggest issue I had was that it was WAY behind on updates. I've since updated it myself via FDRS and have been very happy. I purchased mine from Van Horn in Lomira, WI and supposedly.... if I go to trade it in, they will give me fair market value as if it wasn't a buyback. I have a letter from their president stating such, but I don't put a whole lot of faith in that, to be honest. Regardless, other than the branding of the title, the car is flawless. It even came with PPF on the frontend. The original owner definitely took care of it.

From what I've seen, a lot of the buybacks weren't because they were "lemons", but more so because of the part shortage during COVID.

Just my experience.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
It would be helpful to the community if those of you with buyback vehicles could punch in your vins on CarMax, Carvana or similar sites to see how much these vehicles go for in auction vs a vehicle with clean title.

Said differently, would $10,000 be a good estimate of value loss from the branded title.

mach-ebert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium FE
Occupation
Technology
Country flag
Just ran mine through Carmax and Carvana, then a comparable one without a buyback. There's a $12k difference with Carvana. With Carmax, they "want to see the vehicle". So, the $10k difference in retail was close.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I think, in a nutshell it comes down to doing your due diligence on the dealer and on the specific VIN you are looking at buying. If you see any red flags, pass on it, but if everything meets your satisfaction, go for it. 😊🐩

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Just ran mine through Carmax and Carvana, then a comparable one without a buyback. There's a $12k difference with Carvana. With Carmax, they "want to see the vehicle". So, the $10k difference in retail was close.
Perfect. These are real figures to guide what to pay for (granted sample size of one). Thank you.

Alutacon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Perf
Country flag
We are shopping for a used 22 Mach E. There seem to be quite a few buy back options available, I have searched and seen comments both ways on whether someone should purchase (or not)a buyback vehicle. We tend to keep vehicles forever, so that is not a concern. How do you know if the reason the car was bought back was resolved? Does the dealer have that information? What other advice would you all have, in what to look for when considering purchasing a buyback vehicle?

We would most likely need to purchase the car and then have it shipped to us - so we would not physically see/drive the vehicle until we had it.

Link to the current consideration below. Advice is appreciated!!

https://www.fordhuntley.com/used-in...ium=referral&utm_campaign=autotrader_listings
Purchasing a buyback is purchasing the last man's problem.

Sneezy

First Name
Sneezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Trans Am Firehawk, 21 Mach E Premium EXT.
Occupation
NRA Rifle Instructor
Country flag
It's risky IMHO.
I had a Saab that was bought back due to electrical issues that the dealer could not fix, over 30 days in the shop and numerous other issues.
They just sold it at auction. I don't know what was disclosed but you could spend weeks tracking a bad ground or frayed wire from pulling the wiring harness through the firewall to quickly.
Sponsored