Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
I'm not an engineer or auto expert: This is what I found:
Permanent Magnetic Motor Efficiency
As the name implies, an EV permanent magnet motor uses permanent magnetics on the rotor (see the graphic below). The alternating current applied to the stator results in rotation of the rotor. Because the magnets are permanently magnetized, the rotor can run synchronously to the switching AC current. The slippage necessary in induction motors is eliminated, improving your heat efficiency.

The inherent efficiency of a permanent magnet motor is higher than an induction motor. Both motors use a three-phase design through fully optimized performance. Induction motors, however, were designed to work primarily at 60 Hz. As you increase the frequency, eddy current losses in induction motors will be far greater than in permanent magnet motors using powder metal technology.

Regardless of how you bend or shape an induction motor, a well-designed, synchronous permanent magnet motor will offer increased range, better performance, and so on.

link: https://www.horizontechnology.biz/blog/induction-vs-permanent-magnet-motor-efficiency-auto-electrification#:~:text=The inherent efficiency of a permanent magnet motor,were designed to work primarily at 60 Hz.

Induction Vs- Permanent Magnet Motor Efficiency Auto Electrification - component comparison-1...jpeg

Tesla uses an induction motor, other companies use permanent. Interesting.
https://www.tesla.com/blog/induction-versus-dc-brushless-motors

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Don't have a background to counter thiis Tesla displayed article.
Really nothing to "counter" there as the blogger simply compares permanent magnet motors (which he calls DC brushless) vs induction motors coming to the conclusion that both work quite well in EVs. He even lays out pretty decent pro/cons for each.

I had always thought that Tesla was going to move to induction motors anyway given all their press about reducing the number of rare earth elements that they will be using (the permanent magnets use a few of them).

No Tesla fanboy here but I thought that post was pretty even handed.
Sponsored