Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
This chart was posted here: .https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/driving-through-minnesota-in-december.204038/#post-4932555
Ford Mustang Mach-E Range and Efficiency changes with different temperatures via Tesla forum: Tesla range drop with temperature copy
It may not be for the newest model the "Y" but it details what can happen:
Sponsored

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
The effect behind these numbers has to do with transport energy because in a Lithium cell, actual lithium ions are moving. Higher temperatures allow faster ion transport up to a point that the heat causes more collisions and less transport. Those of us who learned chemistry in college understand this. A classmate experimented with electrolytics and discovered that the maximum conductivity (or ion transport) happens almost at the boiling point. But going higher may cause a runaway of released energy and cell damage, hence the infamous lithium fires that has happened in Tesla cells and cars and some other litium cell products such as Samsung Galaxy Notes.

Yoliber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TM3 SR+
Country flag
I think it also has to do with heating. Tesla's except for the Y don't have heat pumps. I believe the Mach E doesn't have a heat pump as well.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Why stop at 100 degrees?
Would be interested to see the efficiency at 115 degrees and above. Like we had here in AZ last week.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This chart was posted here: .https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/driving-through-minnesota-in-december.204038/#post-4932555 It may not be for the newest model the "Y" but it details what can happen:
Yes that is why range matters not only that but you are not running the battery from 100% to 0% so a percentage of that also comes into play. Especially for us that have -20C (-5 F) regularly for solid weeks. Throw in battery degradation and it is not range anxiety like many of the warm climate blogs throw out; it is pure math.

At 400 Wh/mi on a 88 Kwh pack ran from 90% to 20% the math becomes 155 miles (250 km) of range and no where near the 270 or 300 mi EPA.

For the few long distance trips we make and the charging structure now here it will take a bit of charging time but it is doable and OK. Without the extended range option the vehicle would not be too functional up here other than a city vehicle to go to the corner store, however, at 300 mile EPA that changes. I was hoping to wait for a (375 mi) 600 km pack but that has turn into a long wait that I no longer have the luxury to wait for. 600 km epa would be perfect for cold climate and travel distances in Canada 450 is doable under the understanding we will not be running it long distance too often at -5F. Time will tell with the Mach-e but that is the nature of current battery technology.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
The other thing has to do with how much drafting someone is doing when driving. If you follow other vehicles you get an advantage compared to driving straight into the air alone.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes a head wind and 6" of snow from an unforecasted snow squall will have an impact. Not my idea of enjoyable, drafting transports, I am more reduce speed, lay back and enjoy the scenery.

Dkaar

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150
Occupation
Program Manager
Country flag
Why stop at 100 degrees?
Would be interested to see the efficiency at 115 degrees and above. Like we had here in AZ last week.
It doesn’t get that hot here in MN. Looks like that is where the test was done. 95-100 is rare.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
It doesn’t get that hot here in MN. Looks like that is where the test was done. 95-100 is rare.
The down side is that 95-100 below zero is normal winter weather.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes that is why range matters not only that but you are not running the battery from 100% to 0% so a percentage of that also comes into play. Especially for us that have -20C (-5 F) regularly for solid weeks. Throw in battery degradation and it is not range anxiety like many of the warm climate blogs throw out; it is pure math.

At 400 Wh/mi on a 88 Kwh pack ran from 90% to 20% the math becomes 155 miles (250 km) of range and no where near the 270 or 300 mi EPA.
And then add the high speed loss to that. I hate to think how far range will drop driving through Utah at 80 MPH on a 95 degree summer day.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And then add the high speed loss to that. I hate to think how far range will drop driving through Utah at 80 MPH on a 95 degree summer day.
Agree; EPA is fictional, perfectly controlled, slow speed and city leaning (where EV's do better). Real life range is not EPA range and may not be the same for each driver. Tesla plays with the scalars to put forward what I would say is a false EPA (at least inflated compared to most). Where I would say Hyundai's Kona is better than their stated EPA. Ford's ER is a 100 KW pack which is model S size (not 3 or y). It will be interesting to see if they adopt Hyundai's or Tesla's type of policy. Based on the battery size and their initial EPA forecast it appears more Hyundai which is cool. Would be nice to see their urban dynamometer results for the MME. Even official EPA results would be good; but they would not determine the scalars they are using without at least one dynamometer result.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I still wish EPA would just forget about city range altogether on BEVs. Just give us a simple 70 MPH number at constant speed. Range mostly only matters on road trips anyway.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I would prefer a city/hwy rating just like the ICE cars (see Tesla Bjorn and his 90/120km tests). The city rating would tell me about the efficiencies of the entire vehicle systems and highway about the aerodynamics and powertrain losses. Add to that a winter/summer rating and they would be truly meaningful.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would prefer a city/hwy rating just like the ICE cars (see Tesla Bjorn and his 90/120km tests). The city rating would tell me about the efficiencies of the entire vehicle systems and highway about the aerodynamics and powertrain losses. Add to that a winter/summer rating and they would be truly meaningful.
I don't care if they also throw in that number too, but that's more just curiosity. The only number that really matters to me is road trip range, and that's interstate driving. City to city at constant high speed.

Hell, just take it to a NASCAR track, charge it to 100%, set cruise control to 70 MPH, and see how many miles they get when it hits 0%.

Njia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape Hybrid, Mach-E Prem/AWD/Standard Battery
Country flag
This is very similar to what I experienced in my Fusion Energi when I had that vehicle a few years ago. Winter driving meant the ICE would run, regardless of the level of charge in my battery at any given time. The need to heat the vehicle's interior drove range and efficiency into the ground.

I hope that Ford moves to a heat pump in future BEVs that they produce. For the time being, I'm not too concerned because most of my driving is around town anyway. Occasionally, I may need to drive over to Windsor, ON (once the border reopens) or to Detroit Metro airport. That's about it.
Sponsored