Regulus7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 C4 Cab, Macan S, SantaFe, Ice Blue MME GT
Occupation
Money Manager
Country flag
I got my first EV a month ago, a RWD ID.4. I have been consistently getting like 3 miles per KWh in cold but not super cold (25F-45F) with normal driving. This includes some hiway but mostly back roads and city driving. Yesterday I drove all the way down to 19% SOC and had 50 miles left on the GOM. So I am pretty happy with the range and I am expecting with spring and summer temps to get even better. So with the MME larger battery pack I am hoping for even better ultimate range. But I am reading a lot of posts with people getting 2.4 to 2.7 mi/kWh and I just wanted to see if there are those that are getting consistently over 3 mi/kWh with easy about town driving in similar temps as here in the northeast.
Sponsored

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E AWD Premium Ext Bat - Rapid Red
Country flag
So i am in Bergen county, NJ. off the first exit after you cross the GW bridge from NYC (I see you have NYC listed as your location) Ive been pretty happy w the winter range. I get high 2s-mid3s miles per kWh very consistently. I'm driving a job 2 premium AWD ext batt. I think pre conditioning the cabin, car, etc help and I'm not an aggressive driver.

Further to my point, I took a mini ski day trip with the family on Friday as our school was cancelled due to the snow. I had a seasucker rack on the top with mine and my wife's skis - kids skis were in trunk. Temps were in the 20s-30s. Even with the rack on top I got 2.4miles per kWh on the way there and a little higher on the way back given i had the descent (but it was night on way back so temps were a bit colder and also had a cold battery). The rack clearly does take away efficiency (as expected, simple aerodynamics) when i use it.

I find these numbers are totally acceptable for winter. I always keep the car in 1pd and switch btwn whisper and unbridled

I think for our area this will get great winter range. I think as you head more north into the NE, to Canada, into the Midwest, etc where temps can get much colder I'm guessing the efficiency drops of at a much faster rate (ie it's not linear-likely increasing efficiency loss per degree of lower temp). I havent tested that but that my hunch.

Last edited: