Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium 4X, 2017 Fusion Energi PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A month ago I received a email from "Ford Motor Company <[email protected]-ford.com> " advising to BOLO for a Sync 4A update that will bring many desirable features and behaviors to the vehicle. This week I received a 12 page physical letter (in two languages, no less) in the postal mail from Ford Motor Customer Service Division saying that an update is on the way that would improve cold weather performance for the passenger heating system.

In this age of "information at your fingertips", "instant gratification", and dynamically/integrated updating disparate autonomous computer systems, I find it increasingly frustrating, bewildering, and almost comical that Ford seems to make the process of distributing OTA updates feel like alchemy/voodoo/witchcraft. This is further amplified in an annoying way when the emails and letters tell me how good it will be when they do arrive someday. Reading posts on this forum regarding the multitude states of versioning that is out there makes my head spin. I can't really see any solid excuse or justification for it to be this way from my narrow point of view. Change my mind.

My MME is daily on a very strong WiFi connection in my garage, and the update schedule is enabled for everyday at 1am EST with Automatic Updates turned as well. I'm currently sitting at 3.5.x.x. from Nov 1st.
Gimme the goods! šŸ™ƒ

[Maybe I'm just harboring a notion that this rant will somehow in a magical way break my personal logjam for a download šŸ¤£]

Sponsored

Phil-Springs

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CA RT1 AWD Extended DMG 2022
Country flag
A month ago I received a email from "Ford Motor Company <[email protected]-ford.com> " advising to BOLO for a Sync 4A update that will bring many desirable features and behaviors to the vehicle. This week I received a 12 page physical letter (in two languages, no less) in the postal mail from Ford Motor Customer Service Division saying that an update is on the way that would improve cold weather performance for the passenger heating system.

In this age of "information at your fingertips", "instant gratification", and dynamically/integrated updating disparate autonomous computer systems, I find it increasingly frustrating, bewildering, and almost comical that Ford seems to make the process of distributing OTA updates feel like alchemy/voodoo/witchcraft. This is further amplified in an annoying way when the emails and letters tell me how good it will be when they do arrive someday. Reading posts on this forum regarding the multitude states of versioning that is out there makes my head spin. I can't really see any solid excuse or justification for it to be this way from my narrow point of view. Change my mind.

My MME is daily on a very strong WiFi connection in my garage, and the update schedule is enabled for everyday at 1am EST with Automatic Updates turned as well. I'm currently sitting at 3.5.x.x. from Nov 1st.
Gimme the goods! šŸ™ƒ

[Maybe I'm just harboring a notion that this rant will somehow in a magical way break my personal logjam for a download šŸ¤£]

You are not aloneā€¦ unfortunately

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Yeah, itā€™s not great. They have shown in the past that they are capable of delivering an update fast when they want. Just seems like they donā€™t always want to..

ScottMcCool

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Premium AWD ER MME
Country flag
Dumb question, how do I check what my latest update was? I have had the car for over a year, other than a couple of blue cruise updates, I don't think I have had a Sync update.

MBCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E AWD ER, Infinite Metallic Blue
Country flag
You kind of canā€™t. If you go to the update screen it will show the notes from your last update. That might include a version number.

I got the same letter as OP. Did my car download the update? I think so, weeks ago, but there is no way to check.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Dumb question, how do I check what my latest update was? I have had the car for over a year, other than a couple of blue cruise updates, I don't think I have had a Sync update.
It is not a dumb question. The answer is dumb.

There is no way to tell the version of your last update, or the version of your software modules unless you have FDRS with a paid subscription. And even then when you find out the software versions you have there is no way to correlate it to OTA updates.

Dumb.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Frustrating. Same issue here. I had a number of OTA updates come through in quick succession, then nothing. The best time to get a cold weather related update was two months ago. Now would work too.

Jax_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT (Build in progress)
Country flag

Gimme the goods! šŸ™ƒ

If it makes you feel better Iā€™m stuck on the update before 3.5.2 because apparently the deployments time out after three or so weeks. Ford damaged my car in shipping, pushed the update while it was sitting and it never downloaded. So now Iā€™m screwed until I take it to the dealer or the gods at ford decide to bless me with another update šŸ˜‚

The Black Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Select Mach E+Comfort and Tech, 2015 Mini Cooper
Country flag
The car and driving experience = AMAZING

The tech = Just slightly above average

The reason i am so frustrated is the over promising and under delivering. You can tell this is a top down company because the CEO can't stop blabbering about things the car will do "someday" - and all the emails and marketing materials are the same.

Its all talk. I'm so f'ing over it. I enjoy the car i have today for what it is today but Ford needs to shut up.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag

Gimme the goods! šŸ™ƒ

I agree, I don't think the decision makers at Ford realize how big a negative this is.

Rob S

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mustang Ecoboost, 2022 MME GT Star White
Country flag
I received the mailer and emails too. Took delivery 10/8, have yet to receive an OTA update.

OP
OP
EasyPass

EasyPass

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium 4X, 2017 Fusion Energi PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If anyone can convince a ford dealer to do the update for free, please video that and post it here!
My dealer did an update in August at no charge when I presented a list of annoyances that I wanted addressed. I believed they categorized it as Warrenty Work.

I'm just too lazy now to hand it over for an afternoon to do this every time there's a pending feature upgrade or update.

Vgkfan

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 mme premium ER AWD 2016 Kia, 2003 Honda
Country flag
[/QUOTE]
Look on the ford pass app, click account(top right), then message center. Unless you deleted your previous messages, should be able to scroll down and see latest software update. I got the same mailing as the OP. I looked back and saw I had received it Nov 10.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag

Gimme the goods! šŸ™ƒ

Meh. I don't live or die by upgrades. The state of upgrades is not that important to me. However, having said that I did get Sync 4A (was it 4.1.2?) and do like its UI improvements. Did it change my life? No.

I can understand their slow rollout of upgrades. It makes sense from a software development standpoint. If there's a bug in the deployment it's better to find out during the first 1,000 cars than after 50,000 cars have received the deployment. These are cars, peoples lives are at stake, care must be taken. It's not like a cell phone where a bad update or deployment is just an inconvenience.

Burnsy8787

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy volt
Country flag

Gimme the goods! šŸ™ƒ

Well this is what happens when you have nobody under the age of 60 in charge of the software development/deployment. They are manually releasing updates 1 at a time to owners. It's one of the strangest things I've ever seen a company do with their software.

Imagine if your iPhone update was manually pushed by an employee at Apple, individually. imagine everyone that has a phone has a completely different software. You could have a software that was 2 years old and someone could have one that was released yesterday and the only reason you don't have yours is because Apple hadn't gotten to you on the list of people to push it to.

Truly mindboggling how they handle these OTA updates.
Sponsored