Rear power lift gate failed to stop/bounce back on obstruction (one time)

UsernameChecksOut

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Evo X, 2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Something odd happened to me today. I was finishing some cleanup in the back of my Mach-E and hit the power close button on the rear lift gate. Then I remembered there was one more thing I wanted to grab. Instead of hitting the button to stop the lift gate from coming down, I just put my hand up to try to stop the lift gate.

The lift gate didn't stop and it kept going. I tried holding the the gate open with quite a bit of force, but it kept moving. The force of the motor got to the point where I didn't want to risk losing my hand or any fingers, so I got out of there.

I could have sworn that the lift gate was supposed to be able to detect obstructions and bounce back, but this time it didn't. I tested it a few more times and for some reason the bounce-back started working again.

In this odd single time, I really would have worried about losing body parts. Has this happened to anybody before?
Sponsored

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I don’t think it has sensors to stop it closing or at least I’ve never had them trigger either. I did the same thing a couple times and was like what the hell as it just kept closing. Never had it bounce back.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
If I grab the hatch while it is closing it stops. It isn't hard to get it to stop - I have done it many times. It makes that donging complaining noise.

If the gate almost closes but hits a suitcase or something else jammed in the back, it does reverse and opens back up. When that happens I usually close it manually and press my weight down on the back to get it to latch. Yes, I often jam the hatch full when we take it on trips.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Something odd happened to me today. I was finishing some cleanup in the back of my Mach-E and hit the power close button on the rear lift gate. Then I remembered there was one more thing I wanted to grab. Instead of hitting the button to stop the lift gate from coming down, I just put my hand up to try to stop the lift gate.

The lift gate didn't stop and it kept going. I tried holding the the gate open with quite a bit of force, but it kept moving. The force of the motor got to the point where I didn't want to risk losing my hand or any fingers, so I got out of there.

I could have sworn that the lift gate was supposed to be able to detect obstructions and bounce back, but this time it didn't. I tested it a few more times and for some reason the bounce-back started working again.

In this odd single time, I really would have worried about losing body parts. Has this happened to anybody before?
Push harder next time. Like with 25+ pounds of force. It will stop. It's not designed to be stopped that way for connivence like you were using it. Use the button or kick to stop it, or wait for it to finish.

There are also pinch sensors on the side but that will still hurt like hell if you get your finger pinched for a second. You will be bruised but not amputated.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Huh, mine does the opposite. About 1/4 of the time it acts like the sensors think there's something in the way, stops, and opens with the error sound. I make liberal use of the middle finger pointed at my car when operating the lift gate since Kick to Open often doesn't work as well. 🤪🐩

MisterSofa

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Corolla, 2022 Ford MachE Premium AWD
Country flag
It happened today. I was in the garage and I opened up the hatch. It went up and it slipped out of my hand and hit the top and damaged the hatch. In my Alfa I was able to set a level that the hatch would stop at. Is this possible for the MachE. Thanks 😢

ThatGuyLando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CR1
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
It happened today. I was in the garage and I opened up the hatch. It went up and it slipped out of my hand and hit the top and damaged the hatch. In my Alfa I was able to set a level that the hatch would stop at. Is this possible for the MachE. Thanks 😢
Yes, hold it at what ever level you want it and keep the open close button pressed until it beeps.

This only works on powered lift gates.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, hold it at what ever level you want it and keep the open close button pressed until it beeps.

This only works on powered lift gates.
As speciified in the owner's manual.

I knew how to set the hatch open height but procrastinated. I really shouldn't have procrastinated. It was very upsetting to have a gash in my hatch a week after buying the car. Needless to say I set the hatch height right after getting the gash. Late, but at least it won't happen again.

I still watch it opening, poised to grab it if it fails to stop. It's almost as if I don't trust the software that controls the hatch opening height. Weird.

ThatGuyLando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CR1
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
As speciified in the owner's manual.

I knew how to set the hatch open height but procrastinated. I really shouldn't have procrastinated. It was very upsetting to have a gash in my hatch a week after buying the car. Needless to say I set the hatch height right after getting the gash. Late, but at least it won't happen again.

I still watch it opening, poised to grab it if it fails to stop. It's almost as if I don't trust the software that controls the hatch opening height. Weird.
How bad is it? Might be a good diy fix if you get those pens with matching paint.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How bad is it? Might be a good diy fix if you get those pens with matching paint.
I covered it with black vinyl, so it isn't noticeable now.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear power lift gate failed to stop/bounce back on obstruction (one time) 52582203074_e04962982c_o
Sponsored