Regen: AWD versus RWD

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I know some of you have driven multiple MMEs.
I would like to hear a comparison between the RWD and AWD regen feel and stopping distance/time.
Are they the same? Is the AWD stronger? If so, how much?
As a baseline, I tested my wife's 2020 Bolt. It does 30-0 w/o touching the brake in 5.7 seconds.
Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
ajmartineau

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I just finished my 3rd test drive. I've tested the RWD extended range, AWD standard range, and just now AWD Extended range Prem.
My seat of the pants opinion is that the AWD Ext. Prem. has the strongest negative "g-force" in OPD Unbridled.

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
I know some of you have driven multiple MMEs.
I would like to hear a comparison between the RWD and AWD regen feel and stopping distance/time.
Are they the same? Is the AWD stronger? If so, how much?
As a baseline, I tested my wife's 2020 Bolt. It does 30-0 w/o touching the brake in 5.7 seconds.
Thanks
I hope the regenerative braking for One Pedal Driving is similar to my 2017 Bolt or I will need to be recalibrated. I have the Premium Mach E 4X arriving next month.

OP
OP
ajmartineau

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
You're good, but you will be reaching for the extra regen brake paddle. The strength/feel is very similar.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
I hope the regenerative braking for One Pedal Driving is similar to my 2017 Bolt or I will need to be recalibrated. I have the Premium Mach E 4X arriving next month.
I have driven both RWD and AWD ER models. Our Bolt has/had much greater regen force. I am not sure it is actually greater per se.....The MAch E is quite a bit heavier and even if they were exactly the same it is going to feel less in the MME. I drove the AWD ER today and although it accelerates much faster, the regen actually felt the same. I wonder if the front motor regens at all or it is all in the back motor. I can't remember seeing this discussed anywhere.

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I have driven both RWD and AWD ER models. Our Bolt has/had much greater regen force. I am not sure it is actually greater per se.....The MAch E is quite a bit heavier and even if they were exactly the same it is going to feel less in the MME. I drove the AWD ER today and although it accelerates much faster, the regen actually felt the same. I wonder if the front motor regens at all or it is all in the back motor. I can't remember seeing this discussed anywhere.
It should be biased toward the front brakes like all car breaking systems because a lot of the weight shifts to the front during breaking. I believe it should be something like 33% braking from the back and 67% breaking from the front. I am off to check Google.

OK, per Google " Brake bias is the percentage of total braking force applied to the front wheels. A 60-70% bias is common on RWD street vehicles. This means the front brakes provide 60-70% of the total braking force. FWD cars can have up to 80% bias "

Last edited:

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
It should be biased toward the front brakes like all car breaking systems because a lot of the weight shifts to the front during breaking. I believe it should be something like 33% braking from the back and 67% breaking from the front. I am off to check Google.

OK, per Google " Brake bias is the percentage of total braking force applied to the front wheels. A 60-70% bias is common on RWD street vehicles. This means the front brakes provide 60-70% of the total braking force. FWD cars can have up to 80% bias "
Braking...yes...but what about regen. If it even does..no way that small motor in front regens more than rear motor,

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag

So from your answer, you can see brake bias is related to front/back weight distribution. Mach-e weight distribution is 50-50, which is uncommon to your google result. Given that, you can gain more regen with the rear tires than you would if the brake bias was "common".

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So from your answer, you can see brake bias is related to front/back weight distribution. Mach-e weight distribution is 50-50, which is uncommon to your google result. Given that, you can gain more regen with the rear tires than you would if the brake bias was "common".
To the original question though: does the AWD have more or less regen than the RWD? If the same, is it just distributed between front and rear?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
AWD vehicles are capable of stronger regen compard to RWD.
I wonder if the ER vehicles are capable of stronger regen than the SR vehicles. We know the ER is capable of taking in power at a faster rate (150kW vs 115kW), but without knowing the max rate of regen, it’s hard to say. If the max regen is 115kW or less, I would think regen would be the same.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I wonder if the ER vehicles are capable of stronger regen than the SR vehicles. We know the ER is capable of taking in power at a faster rate (150kW vs 115kW), but without knowing the max rate of regen, it’s hard to say. If the max regen is 115kW or less, I would think regen would be the same.
The ER should have stronger regen compared to SR (all else being equal). We know the ER can deliver more power so it stands to reason they can receive more as well. And like you pointed out....the DC charge rate verifies that.

Cant wait to get mine so I can connect my scan tool and data log some stuff. :)

Reactions: ARK

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
You're good, but you will be reaching for the extra regen brake paddle. The strength/feel is very similar.
I have rarely used the extra regen paddle on my Bolt, but understand, on the Mach E it will be an extra regen pedal instead of a paddle. I will likely need to use it because I feel like the regen to a stop in the Bolt is just about right. Any slower coming to a stop and those behind me would be frustrated.

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Good Point, since the Mach E weight is distributed nearly even front to back, the braking ratio is closer, but still, weight shifts forward when breaking so maybe it is closer to 60/40 (a guess).

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Braking...yes...but what about regen. If it even does..no way that small motor in front regens more than rear motor,
The small motor could provide more regenerative braking if the small motor is regenerating at full capacity while the larger rear motor is only regenerating at a fraction of its capacity. Hopefully, the AWD takes advantage of regen from both motors.
Sponsored