Regenerative braking?

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
So I had some extra time Saturday. Went a drove a Bolt Premiere. I thought it was impressive. I drove in in D mode which I guess is light on the regen braking. I didn't know about an "L" mode which I guess is the one pedal driving.
Though it did a little regen braking when lifting the pedal I also used a lot more when using the paddle on the left side of the steering wheel. I was impressed by the quiet operation and the 0-60 was not bad. I used to have a 95 Mustang Cobra 5 speed and it's 0-60 time was 6.3. This little puddle jumper did it in 6.5! Makes me want the Mach E even more now. As a side note the sticker on the Bolt was 44k. Without even really trying they had it down to 33.5k before I walked out. Minus the 7.5k tax credit off of that and I have to say I was very slightly tempted to pull the trigger. I was not able to get my Wife to drive it though.
Federal tax rebate for Chevrolet is $1875 (since October), and will drop to 0 at the end of March 2020.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Cobra95Kev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Edge
Country flag
Hey Thanks for the heads up on that the dealer told me up to 7500.00. I would never seriously consider a Chevy though!

theothertom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Federal tax rebate for Chevrolet is $1875 (since October), and will drop to 0 at the end of March 2020.
I thought it expired at the end of DEC 2019, ie, in a few weeks.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

Clint Eastwood

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jaguar F-Pace
Country flag
Ive been driving a Tesla Model S for 6 years. Regenerative braking is just a better way to drive. It also improves range by recharging the battery. If the Mach-e didn’t have an option to have maximum regenerative braking, I wouldn’t have reserved it. It takes maybe a week to get used to it, and then you will hate all other cars for the rest of your life, trust me. When I drive my wife’s ICE, I let go of the gas, and the car just keeps flying. Feels so strange to me. I think it is way safer. The second you remove your foot from the accelerator in an electric car, the car already starts slowing down which could make a difference in a collision.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
This feature has been found on hybrid and plug in hybrid models for years. I had it in my 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Once you drive with one pedal for a week you will never go back

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
It is possible that Ford will also include the blended brake like they did on the Focus Electric. With the blended brake you can drive like you would normally with the brake pedal and the car figures out how much regen to use. (See attached presentation on the Focus Electric's braking system.)

Personally I do like GM's implementation of one pedal driving on the Bolt.

Note that I found that presentation on the web somewhere published already.

Attachments

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
The article below provides more detail about the one-pedal driving characteristics of the Mach E. On page 2. Mach E blends the friction brakes in at low speeds to have a true one-pedal experience to a full stop and hold.

"Ford also doubled down on the experience of one-pedal driving. ..……."

Revealing The Ford Mustang Mach-E's Recipe For Success
Nice! They took one pedal driving a step further and are engaging the friction brakes--I don't think any other EV does that (I believe even Tesla's just use the motor to keep you stationary in one pedal mode--its more complicated to automatically engage the brakes this way).
Sponsored