DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
This is our life in Texas I never leave without at least 80% (extreme heat I go to 90%) because everywhere you go it's at least 75 mph and we have large areas without DCFC. We've made many trips without even a L2 charger available at our destination. I will continue to complain about Lubbock not having any CCS DCFC (they do have Tesla super chargers)! Our longest trip we had to visit three L2 chargers just to find one working :mad:
My company is building two new manufacturing facilities in the Crossroads area north of Austin. We asked the general contractor to add EV charging stations to the parking lot plan and he said., "I doubt the grid out here can support them." I'm pretty sure he's wrong, but perhaps it demonstrates the general attitude...
Sponsored

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
I guess I will soon know the ins and outs of the Rivian 135kWh charge curve, just grabbed one from the Rivian R1S store. It comes with the 20" AT (all terrain) tires and Rivian states the range as 274 miles (vs 325 with the 21" road tires).

Just shy of two years since putting in a deposit but fear not MME fans, I am not going anywhere as the wife is keeping her GT and the Ridgeline will be sold or traded.

Last edited:

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Ok well yeah, I didn't assume you would be comparing it based on percentages, that makes little sense to do. A garden hose will obviously fill a bath tub quicker than a pool. kW delivered is much more than the MME which is really what matters. The R1T can pull down more power than the MME or the F150 in the same amount of time. Being that it has a bigger pack it will possibly take longer, but you can go further. 80% of charge is 100 miles more for the R1T based on EPA and they actually have accurate numbers unlike Ford.

Many of us have documented the charge curve for the MME in numerous places on this forum and I've never seen it sustain 100+ kW for 55%. The charge curve that we currently have is well discussed, plotted and tested here: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-charge-curve-and-maybe-power-delivery.13747/
It makes perfect sense, it was the context of the OP. He was surprised he finished before the Rivian.

I don't know what to tell you, but I saw it multiple times about a month ago on a trip charging at EA and EVGO 350's (EA 150's are another story). Maybe the difference is preconditioning which I believe that thread predates? Maybe there was a hidden update.

I can say for certain that "slows within 3 minutes to 80-100kW" is not true in my case. I'll have to take pictures next time I do a long DCFC, but it might be a couple months.

drdoug75

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACHE GT PE, MACHE PREMIUM, F150
Occupation
Employed
Country flag
This is our life in Texas I never leave without at least 80% (extreme heat I go to 90%) because everywhere you go it's at least 75 mph and we have large areas without DCFC. We've made many trips without even a L2 charger available at our destination. I will continue to complain about Lubbock not having any CCS DCFC (they do have Tesla super chargers)! Our longest trip we had to visit three L2 chargers just to find one working :mad:
Don't DC chargers just go down to L2 charging at 80-90%, I would think it would take a while and you are paying DC rates for that last 10%

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I also try to take etiquette into account. If there are people behind me waiting I'll always do the minimum I need. If the demand is low then sure, go to 80%. But that's just me.
Hmmm, but you said:
”The wife and I walked across the street for a cup of coffee and when my EA app told me the MME was at 80% we went back. All three Rivians were still in place (and there was a Lightning and another MME waiting.) I unplugged and left.”
Not a big deal. I just figure, if I’m waiting, that everyone is probably charging to 80% or more.

OP
OP
DYohn

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
Hmmm, but you said:
”The wife and I walked across the street for a cup of coffee and when my EA app told me the MME was at 80% we went back. All three Rivians were still in place (and there was a Lightning and another MME waiting.) I unplugged and left.”
Not a big deal. I just figure, if I’m waiting, that everyone is probably charging to 80% or more.
We needed to be at 80% to get down Highway 93 from Kingman into the Phoenix Valley, with the next charger being in Glendale. No other options on 93. In Glendale we charged to 40% to make it home. :)

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
A charger in hand is worth two down the road. I pretty much always charge to 80% out there on the highway unless home is my last stop. It probably costs me minutes(!), I know but you don’t know what’s going on at the next charger until you get there.
The issue in this situation is that there are plenty of chargers in Phoenix, going east, and plenty in Indio/Palm Springs going west. It is not a situation of being dependent on one charging site for the next stop. I do not buy into the 80% magic number, especially when the next metro areas with many fast chargers are only 120 miles away.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
We needed to be at 80% to get down Highway 93 from Kingman into the Phoenix Valley, with the next charger being in Glendale. No other options on 93. In Glendale we charged to 40% to make it home. :)
I assume you have a standard range, my CR1 has made it from Kingman with 60% and still had plenty o margin. That route is all downhill.

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
I can say for certain that "slows within 3 minutes to 80-100kW" is not true in my case. I'll have to take pictures next time I do a long DCFC, but it might be a couple months.
Yeah, slowing to ~120kW is more accurate from my experience. I will also add that Ford’s preconditioning update has been very helpful in getting me the peak 160kW speeds consistently outside of summer weather. I just wish they had communicated it better.

Reactions: SWO
OP
OP
DYohn

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
I assume you have a standard range, my CR1 has made it from Kingman with 60% and still had plenty o margin. That route is all downhill.
Maybe I drive more aggressively than you. My car is a premium extended range and I live in the far east valley. I started at 80% in Kingman and rolled into the charger in the Anthem subdivision at 27%. I needed 40% from there to get home in AJ. Your mileage may vary.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Don't DC chargers just go down to L2 charging at 80-90%, I would think it would take a while and you are paying DC rates for that last 10%
Currently my Mach-E maintains 28-44KW speeds above 80%. My level 2 charger at home is 9.6 kWh and most publicly available level 2’s I’ve. Paired are only at 7.6KW.
Most people level 3 charging above 80% are probably using free DCFCing or are in pay by KWH states versus pay by the minute states.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Maybe I drive more aggressively than you. My car is a premium extended range and I live in the far east valley. I started at 80% in Kingman and rolled into the charger in the Anthem subdivision at 27%. I needed 40% from there to get home in AJ. Your mileage may vary.
I live on the west side, near Luke AFB, that is the difference. But you still had plenty of charge when arriving at Anthem.

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Currently my Mach-E maintains 28-44KW speeds above 80%. My level 2 charger at home is 9.6 kWh and most publicly available level 2’s I’ve. Paired are only at 7.6KW.
Most people level 3 charging above 80% are probably using free DCFCing or are in pay by KWH states versus pay by the minute states.
As Murse-In-Airy put it so well I have seen the same results and when I roll up the a DCFC in Texas on a road trip I will be below 20% most of the time. It's not like I'm going to not spend the extra 10 minutes and get about 30 KW speeds above 80%. Multiple trips trough west Texas we have been down to 3% when we reached the DCFC. Free charging for us is long gone and we pay per KWH just like rolling up to a gas station. I have used L2 chargers on the road that gave us less than 7kw and we had to pay for it. :confused: Here's looking at you Blink.
Sponsored