OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
When I had cars with actual physical buttons, adjusting these things in my driveway, in reverse, didn't seem all that hard. :)

Heck people get distracted driving forward

Imagine if their brain has to interpret the image from the mirrors to back up
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Honestly this is extremely frustrating *because* they put the charge port on the front, meaning I have to pull into my garage instead of backing in as I have always done, so I have to pause backing down the driveway, press the button, wait for the garage door to close, and I hate having to pop back into Drive just to adjust things during the seconds where I'm waiting for the door to close. I hope they get rid of this lock-out and let me turn the heated seats on while I'm waiting for the garage door to close.
I think you stand a better chance of relocating your EVSE than waiting for Ford to change that functionality.

BTW, the charge port is where it is because that is the area that is least likely to be damaged in a collision. Charge points in the front or rear bumper are the absolute worst locations because a fender bender might render your vehicle useless.

The e-Transit van has the charge port up front and it's a big issue with fleet managers. On one hand.....it is convenient because the cord isn't in the way when loading or unloading. But on the other hand that spot is exposed in a front collision. If you see the average fleet driver you would understand....

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Why do you have to wait for the garage door to close? Are you afraid it might pop back open?
Mine does. There are two seasons per year where the angle of the sun is such that it can fool the sensor into opening the door. So, I make sure it closes before driving off.

ComputeAllTheThings

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (Premium AWD ER)
Country flag
I think you stand a better chance of relocating your EVSE than waiting for Ford to change that functionality.

BTW, the charge port is where it is because that is the area that is least likely to be damaged in a collision. Charge points in the front or rear bumper are the absolute worst locations because a fender bender might render your vehicle useless.

The e-Transit van has the charge port up front and it's a big issue with fleet managers. On one hand.....it is convenient because the cord isn't in the way when loading or unloading. But on the other hand that spot is exposed in a front collision. If you see the average fleet driver you would understand....
The MME also has it in a nice location for the driver to notice if the car is still plugged in?

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Honestly this is extremely frustrating *because* they put the charge port on the front, meaning I have to pull into my garage instead of backing in as I have always done, so I have to pause backing down the driveway, press the button, wait for the garage door to close, and I hate having to pop back into Drive just to adjust things during the seconds where I'm waiting for the door to close. I hope they get rid of this lock-out and let me turn the heated seats on while I'm waiting for the garage door to close.
Hope this is not offensive but you must have an awfully short hose. My 20 foot cord could easily reach the back of any car and can easily reach either car in our garage.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag

I'd rather have it on the back passenger fender, personally. I'm envious of VW's placement as it makes curbside charging much easier as well, no risk of cyclists hitting the cable.

The charger's location isn't the issue, the charge port's is. I could plug the charger on any wall of the garage, it's just 120V. But if I use the Ford location, I will have to step over the cord to exit the garage door, and perhaps bump into it, damage the door, etc. because it's in a pinch point between me exiting the garage if I back in as I have always done. So instead, I pull in. And then have to sit and wait as I back out.

The biggest issue is that Android Auto does not connect while in Reverse either. I have to go into Drive in the driveway to get SYNC to connect Android Auto.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Hope this is not offensive but you must have an awfully short hose. My 20 foot cord could easily reach the back of any car and can easily reach either car in our garage.
It's the standard Ford connector, and I have outlets on every wall (it's just a 120 outlet after all), but the location relative to the garage door is the issue.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
When I spoke to Ford ... it's not a bug that you are locked out of making those changes while the car is still in reverse. It is to prevent you from being distracted. Lots of stuff is intentionally locked out when the car is in reverse.

americanflannel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
I do not write menu descriptions for a living
Country flag
My previous car did this too even though it had physical buttons.
I haven't had it on this car but on my previous car a bigger issue was volume control was locked out in reverse - and the XM didn't work in the garage. So I would be pulling out and as soon as the sat radio kicked in I would be blasted out of the car with the only chance to turn it down being to commit to pulling all the way out on to the road or stop and shift the car and turn it down.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Yeah as a runner you become familiar with about every form of inattentive driving. I don’t run in front of vehicles stopped at a light unless I’ve made eye contact with them. The worst are the ladies that wait until they get in the car to apply their makeup in the vanity mirror. I’ve had this talk with the boss. Why not do that before leaving the house? Well apparently the vanity mirror is just really great for some reason.
The worst for me was there was this one person in the neighborhood where her husband would be standing outside of the car next to her driver window as she backed out of her driveway seemingly each and every morning.

I’d see them from a quarter mile away as I rounded a corner. The car’s reverse lights would be on, she’d be in the driver’s seat, he’d be standing outside, and they’d be just be chatting. Every so often she’d suddenly back up a few feet all while looking at him as if there conversation was ending but then picking back up again.

I’d learned to steer well clear of her because she plainly was being completely inattentive and frankly did back up a few times early on just as I was running or walking past giving me a nice scare. One day it was trash day and she had her bins out. I saw her back straight into them knocking two of three down as she chatted up her husband.

Why they couldn’t just finish talking inside, I have no idea. Instead they had created this extremely bad habit of a ritual to talk while she would reverse out of her driveway. It’s basically because of people like this that carmakers feel compelled to add more and more nanny features to protect people from themselves.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
hey now that's just rude to talk about the length of someone's hose

I really didn't want to start writing tickets it's been a long day

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
The worst for me was there was this one person in the neighborhood where her husband would be standing outside of the car next to her driver window as she backed out of her driveway seemingly each and every morning.

I’d see them from a quarter mile away as I rounded a corner. The car’s reverse lights would be on, she’d be in the driver’s seat, he’d be standing outside, and they’d be just be chatting. Every so often she’d suddenly back up a few feet all while looking at him as if there conversation was ending but then picking back up again.

I’d learned to steer well clear of her because she plainly was being completely inattentive and frankly did back up a few times early on just as I was running or walking past giving me a nice scare. One day it was trash day and she had her bins out. I saw her back straight into them knocking two of three down as she chatted up her husband.

Why they couldn’t just finish talking inside, I have no idea. Instead they had created this extremely bad habit of a ritual to talk while she would reverse out of her driveway. It’s basically because of people like this that carmakers feel compelled to add more and more nanny features to protect people from themselves.
aww true love

• Haha
Reactions: ARK

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The biggest issue is that Android Auto does not connect while in Reverse either. I have to go into Drive in the driveway to get SYNC to connect Android Auto.
That made the list and went right to the top? :)

I can't remember.....did you have an issue with the ride quality early on? Has that subsided any? I took a coworker out last week which was their second time in the car. First time was the day after I bought it. Now that I have a few miles on it, she said the ride was much smoother the second time. I figure the suspension is settling in a bit.

Anyone else with a similar experience?

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
That made the list and went right to the top? :)

I can't remember.....did you have an issue with the ride quality early on? Has that subsided any? I took a coworker out last week which was their second time in the car. First time was the day after I bought it. Now that I have a few miles on it, she said the ride was much smoother the second time. I figure the suspension is settling in a bit.

Anyone else with a similar experience?
Well the biggest problem with Reverse seeming to put all of SYNC on pause.
Sponsored