Rivian R2 Reveal w/ R3 and R3X Surprises! $45K, 0-60 >3 seconds, 300+ miles range, NACS port, 4695 batteries

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I am going to get one of these for my MME, and if I get the R2, I can use it for that car as well. I really don't want to take up two spaces...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rivian R2 Reveal w/ R3 and R3X Surprises! $45K, 0-60 >3 seconds, 300+ miles range, NACS port, 4695 batteries 1709924224224
Sponsored

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
I am going to get one of these for my MME, and if I get the R2, I can use it for that car as well. I really don't want to take up two spaces...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rivian R2 Reveal w/ R3 and R3X Surprises! $45K, 0-60 >3 seconds, 300+ miles range, NACS port, 4695 batteries 1709924224224
Coming Soon? How soon will Ford's lawyers swoop in and sue them for copyright infringement? :p

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

1709924224224.png
Good luck. I think when the real one comes out it's gonna look a whole lot different that. Notice they just took a mirror image of the 48A L2 cable for that display. And that they don't list a power rating or a weight yet. Heck they don't even have a real length yet (just "6-9 feet"). The only thing they do list is the high price ($303).

Picture a 6 foot EA cable. Thick, heavy, stiff.

hprose

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250 and a Mach-e on order
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
They conveniently left out any mention of specs related to the R3, including starting price or expected production/delivery dates.
I don’t know who would call these 3 “good looking”.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently car-less, but hope to get a MME!
Country flag
Ford certainly has its work cut out for the Gen2 Mach-E. I love EV competition!

The R3 is looking more like a Rivian Ioniq 5.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
The Recon looks really interesting, and a very similar sized SUV to the R2 (at least in the basic pics/description). Somewhat boxy design like the R2 as well, and offroad-themed likely with a similar or higher ground clearance and of course some Jeep party tricks like removable doors. Hopefully Rivian is thinking that pricing will be the distinction and will use this as pressure to keep the R2 pricing as advertised. Speaking personally, $45k+ for an R2 is very appealing but $60k+ for a Recon is not.
I watched a bunch of youtube on the reveal... In one of the interviews, the Rivian CEO indicated that the base R2 was a single motor, ~270 mile range. Smaller battery than the 2 motor and 3 motor variants.

The cost of batteries is falling, and will be lower 2 years from now than it is today, but you get what you pay for in terms of the Bill of Materials to make these things. for $45K, I expect about the same as what you can get from Ford, GM, VW, all companies building in the North America with similar cost structures.

The thing that will keep the cost down is the complete market saturation for 2 row SUVs.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
68,000 reservations in the first 24 hours:

6.8 million dollar loan interest free.

Or if the company fails in the next few years, just “free.”

I’m kinda surprised it’s legal to take deposits on a product that doesn’t exist, no clear delivery time, and not even an agreed upon price.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
6.8 million dollar loan interest free.

Or if the company fails in the next few years, just “free.”

I’m kinda surprised it’s legal to take deposits on a product that doesn’t exist, no clear delivery time, and not even an agreed upon price.
Well technically it's not on the product purchase per se, it's just for reserving a place in line with the choice to order the product when available.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well technically it's not on the product purchase per se, it's just for reserving a place in line with the choice to order the product when available.
Exactly.

But the way it’s been working out with Tesla it’s tens of millions interest free for nothing really. The ability to maybe buy a product years later based on broken promises?

Seems like there is a case to be made for unfair business practices.

Sure, save your place in line. But that should cost zero dollars.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Exactly.

But the way it’s been working out with Tesla it’s tens of millions interest free for nothing really. The ability to maybe buy a product years later based on broken promises?

Seems like there is a case to be made for unfair business practices.

Sure, save your place in line. But that should cost zero dollars.
If it were for nothing, then yeah, maybe someone could sue for fraudulent misrepresentation. But it's usually not for nothing. Just like with the Mach-E. It's earnest money to hold a place in line to help confirm the potential buyer likely has legitimate interest in buying. If there's no cost, then you risk getting people taking spaces with no legitimate interest, and perhaps even nefarious intent (i.e. trying to screw them up).

Holding an earlier place in line has legitimate value to many potential buyers, thus why 10's of thousands of people are willing to pay for it.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If it were for nothing, then yeah, maybe someone could sue for fraudulent misrepresentation. But it's usually not for nothing. Just like with the Mach-E. It's earnest money to hold a place in line to help confirm the potential buyer likely has legitimate interest in buying. If there's no cost, then you risk getting people taking spaces with no legitimate interest, and perhaps even nefarious intent (i.e. trying to screw them up).

Holding an earlier place in line has legitimate value to many potential buyers, thus why 10's of thousands of people are willing to pay for it.
With the Mach E reservation I had a price, product details, and tentative production schedule.

Rivian and Tesla don’t have those things. Is there even a production facility for the R2 and R3 yet?

Tesla took 2 million $250 deposits (that’s half a billion dollars) when they “promised” a $39,000 Cybertruck 4 years ago.

Just saw my first one on the road yesterday and nobody paid anywhere near $39k that’s for sure!

Taking half a billion interest free from the public based on lies seems like it shouldn’t be legal.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rivian R2 Reveal w/ R3 and R3X Surprises! $45K, 0-60 >3 seconds, 300+ miles range, NACS port, 4695 batteries IMG_9884

For one thing…….. how can you take 2 million “reservations” and take people’s money with no ability to actually deliver 2 million products any time in the near future???

If they planned on a production run of 50,000, they shouldn’t be allowed to take more than 50,000 people’s money. After those first 50k, they could have a waiting list and take people’s money when the first people drop off.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
With the Mach E reservation I had a price, product details, and tentative production schedule.

Rivian and Tesla don’t have those things. Is there even a production facility for the R2 and R3 yet?

Tesla took 2 million $250 deposits (that’s half a billion dollars) when they “promised” a $39,000 Cybertruck 4 years ago.

Just saw my first one on the road yesterday and nobody paid anywhere near $39k that’s for sure!

Taking half a billion interest free from the public based on lies seems like it shouldn’t be legal.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rivian R2 Reveal w/ R3 and R3X Surprises! $45K, 0-60 >3 seconds, 300+ miles range, NACS port, 4695 batteries IMG_9884

For one thing…….. how can you take 2 million “reservations” and take people’s money with no ability to actually deliver 2 million products any time in the near future???

If they planned on a production run of 50,000, they shouldn’t be allowed to take more than 50,000 people’s money. After those first 50k, they could have a waiting list and take people’s money when the first people drop off.
Caveat emptor. If people were crazy enough to fork over $100 (refundable) when the reservations (supposedly) reached into the millions, that's on them.

Although I've always suspected in Tesla's case, a huge share of those are from their loyal followers/investors trying to jack up the stock price. Being able to tout a huge number of reservations can make other investors think there's huge demand and trigger more stock demand to jack up the price. Some have even admitted it. To someone owning 1000 shares, $10k for 100 refundable reservations is nothing to help jack up the stock price.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Caveat emptor. If people were crazy enough to fork over $100 (refundable) when the reservations (supposedly) reached into the millions, that's on them.

Although I've always suspected in Tesla's case, a huge share of those are from their loyal followers/investors trying to jack up the stock price. Being able to tout a huge number of reservations can make other investors think there's huge demand and trigger more stock demand to jack up the price. Some have even admitted it. To someone owning 1000 shares, $10k for 100 refundable reservations is nothing to help jack up the stock price.
I made a $100 R2 reservation. Guess I am crazy! The R2 hasn't gotten into the millions yet, though...
Sponsored