TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
For the holidays @AEtherScythe and I are headed to Florida (from Michigan). We were *supposed* to go to Washington DC (Lorton, VA - about 500 miles for us) and board the Amtrak AutoTrain. When were were nearly there, the phone rang and an Amtrak robo-call announced that our train had been cancelled. Apparently the previous train had problems and was running *extremely* late and they realized they'd never be back for the next day's departure ... so they cancelled. Worse... all trains for the remainder of the month were full. We saw it was slight more than another 1000 miles so we decided to drive it in two days.

First ... in when we left on day #1 (before we knew the AutoTrain was cancelled) it was 27° and stayed there pretty much all day. The car averaged 2.7 miles/kWh for the first half of the day (headed east on the Ohio Turnpike). The 2nd half of the day we had some headwinds and the car averaged 2.6 miles/kWh. This is GREAT considering the EPA estimate for our AWD-Extended range car is 2.7 miles/kW ... and we pretty much still got that even in 27° weather. We DID PRECONDITION and noticed it started warming the battery pack about 50 minutes prior to scheduled departure.

Recharging in the cold weather (exclusively used EA stations) was slightly slower... on average around 96 kW.

Tricks ... and what I wish could be classified as a bug but is probably really an RFE.

1. Always precondition in cold weather. It helps a lot.
2. I set the cabin To 65° only ... but used seat-heaters on auto as well as steering wheel heat ... and was completely comfortable.
3. (The Bug/RFE) turn on the 'recirculate' ... unfortunately after something like 5 minutes the car self-reverts to pulling in outside air. This is unfortunately *especially* for an EV with e-heat because taking the already warmed air and just re-warming it a bit is MUCH more energy efficient than pulling in 27° outside air and fully heating it.

As for the trip-planning...

I paid the $4.99 to use ABRP Premium and I have a Bluetooth OBD monitor. ABRP says it'll use the OBD to get more accurate data from the car. Well ... the bit about using the OBD (you have to go into Bluetooth devices on your phone, manually connect the OBD module and then ABRP will use it).

Unfortunately ABRP's accuracy was all over the place. It initially said my battery % was a little lower than what the car said. I realize my 88 kWh battery is *really* a 98.8 kWh batter ... so maybe it was fooled by the 10%. But later it was off by much worse ... and after charging it noticed we had more energy but THEN it reported an even HIGHER state of charge vs. what the car reported (so much for the difference being explained by the battery buffer).

There were other annoyances with ABRP. It would occasionally pick an EVgo and I wanted to edit it's selection... very hard to do. I was constantly trying to find ways to work around it.

I decided to try the in-car nav system. Several cool things I learned....

1. You can pre-plan your trips using the FordPass app. Use the 'Maps' tab, pick your destination. After working out your trip if you 'save' it then it will be sent to the car (Which will prompt if you want it to start that trip when you get in the car.)

The car will AUTOMATICALLY add charging stops to your trip (assuming the trip is long enough to need charging). Suppose you don't like the selected stops. I didn't like that it added some EVgo stops ... I'd rather use EA (I still have free charging credits)

(I've made a video demo that I'll upload once we make it to our hotel)

2. In the car, on the Nav screen, tap the Wrench/Screwdriver icon in the lower left corner.

3. Next tap Turn List
4. On the mini turn-list display tap "See All Turns"

There are two taps ... "Trip Overview" and "Turn List" on this panel. In "Trip Overview" will show only the charge stops. The "Turn List" tab will show every turn.

Also, each charge stop listed will show the predicted state of charge at arrival and the minimum amount you'll need to charge to in order to make it to the next charge stop (it doesn't just have you go to 80% every time).

If you want to edit the charge stop, just tap the charge stop (either in Trip Overview or Turn List view). Two new buttons appear in the bottom right ... "Replace" and "Details". "Replace" is awesome.

5. Tap "Replace". If the car is in motion you'll get a warning that the driver shouldn't be doing this. Your passenger will have two buttons "Override" and "Map" (tap Map returns to the Nav screen).
6. Have the passenger tap "Override".

You will get a map with numbered icons on the right ... and a list on the left with the NAME and ADDRESS of every other charger in the area.

The upper right corner of that list has an icon you can tap to apply filters (e.g. Fast chargers only ... or "No Cost" or in "Ford Network")

This was SO MUCH BETTER than the ABRP experience ... which had horribly accuracy and was difficult to edit. ABRP will let you set some charge network preferences ... I could tell it to "prefer" a network and "prefer to avoid" or "avoid" a charge network. But I couldn't just tap a charge stop and edit it like I can on the built-in system.

Unless ABRP adds a lot of improvements ... I think I'll be using the in-car trip planning.

Edit: Here's the video. Recorded with my phone -- hand-held while Leon (@AEtherScythe) is driving ... so audio quality is a bit weak and the video bounces around a bit.

Last edited:

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Ooh, this is all good info! I tend to use Apple Maps around town, but these features sound really important for a longer trip where charging stops are involved. To be honest, I really like the Ford Nav system on the MME (especially after the recent-ish update). A lot of people here seem to hate it, and I know for me it’s misdirected me the last mile on a number of destinations, but in general, the features of it are pretty nice. Looking forward to that video!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Seems like you would benefit from using ABRP more. You can prefer the EA network, and you can eliminate a specific charger from consideration.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I prefer the in car nav also. Almost all my driving is local and I find the native nav works excellent for my purpose.

OP
OP
TheVirtualTim

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Seems like you would benefit from using ABRP more. You can prefer the EA network, and you can eliminate a specific charger from consideration.
The problem I've run into with ABRP (via the app ... if you upgrade to Premium $4.99/mo you get real-time weather, traffic, etc. and also realtime vehicle monitoring IF you have a Bluetooth OBD interface connected) is that once it decides me route, it was harder to make changes and always had the car's state of charge wrong ... so it did not *really* know when I needed a charge or how much.

MachEZRt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME CRT1 AWD (Ordered), 21 MME SR Select
Country flag
For the holidays @AEtherScythe and I are headed to Florida (from Michigan). We were *supposed* to go to Washington DC (Lorton, VA - about 500 miles for us) and board the Amtrak AutoTrain. When were were nearly there, the phone rang and an Amtrak robo-call announced that our train had been cancelled. Apparently the previous train had problems and was running *extremely* late and they realized they'd never be back for the next day's departure ... so they cancelled. Worse... all trains for the remainder of the month were full. We saw it was slight more than another 1000 miles so we decided to drive it in two days.

First ... in when we left on day #1 (before we knew the AutoTrain was cancelled) it was 27° and stayed there pretty much all day. The car averaged 2.7 miles/kWh for the first half of the day (headed east on the Ohio Turnpike). The 2nd half of the day we had some headwinds and the car averaged 2.6 miles/kWh. This is GREAT considering the EPA estimate for our AWD-Extended range car is 2.7 miles/kW ... and we pretty much still got that even in 27° weather. We DID PRECONDITION and noticed it started warming the battery pack about 50 minutes prior to scheduled departure.

Recharging in the cold weather (exclusively used EA stations) was slightly slower... on average around 96 kW.

Tricks ... and what I wish could be classified as a bug but is probably really an RFE.

2. I set the cabin To 65° only ... but used seat-heaters on auto as well as steering wheel heat ... and was completely comfortable.
3. (The Bug/RFE) turn on the 'recirculate' ... unfortunately after something like 5 minutes the car self-reverts to pulling in outside air. This is unfortunately *especially* for an EV with e-heat because taking the already warmed air and just re-warming it a bit is MUCH more energy efficient than pulling in 27° outside air and fully heating it.

I paid the $4.99 to use ABRP Premium and I have a Bluetooth OBD monitor. ABRP says it'll use the OBD to get more accurate data from the car. Well ... the bit about using the OBD (you have to go into Bluetooth devices on your phone, manually connect the OBD module and then ABRP will use it).

Unfortunately ABRP's accuracy was all over the place. It initially said my battery % was a little lower than what the car said. I realize my 88 kWh battery is *really* a 98.8 kWh batter ... so maybe it was fooled by the 10%. But later it was off by much worse ... and after charging it noticed we had more energy but THEN it reported an even HIGHER state of charge vs. what the car reported (so much for the difference being explained by the battery buffer).

There were other annoyances with ABRP. It would occasionally pick an EVgo and I wanted to edit it's selection... very hard to do. I was constantly trying to find ways to work around it.

1. You can pre-plan your trips using the FordPass app. Use the 'Maps' tab, pick your destination. After working out your trip if you 'save' it then it will be sent to the car (Which will prompt if you want it to start that trip when you get in the car.)

The car will AUTOMATICALLY add charging stops to your trip (assuming the trip is long enough to need charging). Suppose you don't like the selected stops. I didn't like that it added some EVgo stops ... I'd rather use EA (I still have free charging credits)

2. In the car, on the Nav screen, tap the Wrench/Screwdriver icon in the lower left corner.

3. Next tap Turn List

There are two taps ... "Trip Overview" and "Turn List" on this panel. In "Trip Overview" will show only the charge stops. The "Turn List" tab will show every turn.

Also, each charge stop listed will show the predicted state of charge at arrival and the minimum amount you'll need to charge to in order to make it to the next charge stop (it doesn't just have you go to 80% every time).

If you want to edit the charge stop, just tap the charge stop (either in Trip Overview or Turn List view). Two new buttons appear in the bottom right ... "Replace" and "Details". "Replace" is awesome.

5. Tap "Replace". If the car is in motion you'll get a warning that the driver shouldn't be doing this. Your passenger will have two buttons "Override" and "Map" (tap Map returns to the Nav screen).

You will get a map with numbered icons on the right ... and a list on the left with the NAME and ADDRESS of every other charger in the area.

The upper right corner of that list has an icon you can tap to apply filters (e.g. Fast chargers only ... or "No Cost" or in "Ford Network")

This was SO MUCH BETTER than the ABRP experience ... which had horribly accuracy and was difficult to edit. ABRP will let you set some charge network preferences ... I could tell it to "prefer" a network and "prefer to avoid" or "avoid" a charge network. But I couldn't just tap a charge stop and edit it like I can on the built-in system.

Unless ABRP adds a lot of improvements ... I think I'll be using the in-car trip planning.

Let us know if you find any free EA chargers on your trip!

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag
In theory ABRP would be better. In practice, not a chance. Which was very much a big surprise to me!

ABRP was great for planning, but within 50 miles of actual routing, I was BEYOND COMPLETELY annoyed that it did not update our current state of charge and stuck to the original estimates -- estimates which aren't as good as Ford's because ABRP hasn't been able to monitor our driving habits for the last 10 months. Supposedly ABRP can now read the current SOC and real time-energy efficiency meter (mi/KWh), but it CLEARLY was not working *AT ALL*.

On top of that ABRP became very very sluggish within a few minutes of routing, then crashed altogether. It was more responsive after the crash, but the battery drain on my new iPhone 13 Pro was well beyond what the MME charging mat could keep up with and my battery was drained 20% in just those first 50 miles.

ABRP is not worth the monthly subscription unless/until they fix these issues.

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag
Let us know if you find any free EA chargers on your trip!
We stopped at 4 EA stations yesterday. All were for a fee. Three out of four burned some of our remaining credits on the FordPass. The fourth didn't support Plug and Charge, so we had to sign up for the $4 EA plan for a month so we could get the reduced rate. Today we stopped four times again. An hour north of Savannah, GA was our fourth stop and that was the one time the EA was FREE.

We have another 500 miles and 3-4 charging stops tomorrow. Really hoping EA is free since it's Christmas Day.

(EDIT): P.S. I should mention that we really only needed three stops for each 500 mile leg, but we wanted to arrive with at least 75% SOC for the Auto Train (that didn't happen), and we wanted to arrive with at least 50% SOC at our hotel in Savannah, GA tonight, in case there is a problem with the chargers.

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
Enjoyed your write-up!

I’ve found on my commute on heat is: Turn it off when warmed up then use defrost occasionally to keep windows clear. I always use precondition in the morning but in the afternoon the MME is like a 37 degree brick. So I heat it quickly up to about 70, turn it off, then manually work the defrost. That way I can keep climate use at about 10% and at slower speeds (53) keep at 3.0 M/KWh.

MachEZRt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We stopped at 4 EA stations yesterday. All were for a fee. Three out of four burned some of our remaining credits on the FordPass. The fourth didn't support Plug and Charge, so we had to sign up for the $4 EA plan for a month so we could get the reduced rate. Today we stopped four times again. An hour north of Savannah, GA was our fourth stop and that was the one time the EA was FREE.

We have another 500 miles and 3-4 charging stops tomorrow. Really hoping EA is free since it's Christmas Day.

(EDIT): P.S. I should mention that we really only needed three stops for each 500 mile leg, but we wanted to arrive with at least 75% SOC for the Auto Train (that didn't happen), and we wanted to arrive with at least 50% SOC at our hotel in Savannah, GA tonight, in case there is a problem with the chargers.
Very nice! I was thinking about doing the same regarding getting the monthly EA Pass+ for any month I am road tripping. Break even is about 57 kwh, so worth it if you fill up once for the extended range!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Only used the free ABRP, and no live data. Simple to move slider to match the actual battery SOC, and then do it again when it is off enough to matter.

Never had it be sluggish, but wasn't feeding in real data.

MachEZRt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

3. Next tap Turn List

Looks like you dodged a bullet. Be glad you weren’t on that Thursday train and got some QT with your new MME!

https://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2021/12/virginia-amtrak-train-delayed-nearly-12-hours-thursday/

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Hey, thanks for the info. Have not road tripped her yet. Although, I too have figured out (6 months) I prefer the car's native navigation. My only Christmas wish is that we could see our law enforcement friends on Ford's nav.

OP
OP
TheVirtualTim

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Only used the free ABRP, and no live data. Simple to move slider to match the actual battery SOC, and then do it again when it is off enough to matter.

Never had it be sluggish, but wasn't feeding in real data.
That's pretty much what I'd recommend. After paying the $4.99 for a month of Premium, the features weren't helpful and it had serious performance problems. It became incredibly sluggish (maybe their method of reading the OBD needs help) and would ultimately crash. But performance aside, the whole point of interfacing to the car is to get more accurate data about the state of charge and rate of consumption ... neither of which it seemed to do with any reasonable amount of accuracy.

I can only hope that they'll improve their data, algorithms, and software over time to make it useful.

I also agree that when you don't use the real-time features (don't pay for premium) that it's performance on the phone is fine. It does seem to be the realtime communication to the OBD interface (in our case an OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth interface) that was likely the problem. None of my other apps that use the OBD interface seem to have any performance issues so I don't think it's the module.

In general I like them for "Trip planning" (prior to taking the trip) to get an idea of what to expect and where to find the charging stops. But the realtime use during the trip was disappointing.

OP
OP
TheVirtualTim

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks like you dodged a bullet. Be glad you weren’t on that Thursday train and got some QT with your new MME!

https://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2021/12/virginia-amtrak-train-delayed-nearly-12-hours-thursday/
Thanks for that. I had searched for news but found nothing. I once had a Via Rail (Canada) from Toronto to Windsor where a freight train had de-railed on the tracks ahead. There were two parallel rails but the derailment was blocking both. They had to back the train up to the last station they could access and order a lot of busses. That wouldn't really work for the auto-train where you don't just need your bags ... you need your car back.

The two stations (Lorton, VA & Sanford, FL) aren't typical train stations... they have a yard with a lot of parallel rails and ramps for loading/unloading cars. Normal train stations don't have that.

I guess there would be nothing to do but wait it out.

Anyway, @AEtherScythe and I are having fun. It's not too bad of an inconvenience. We're getting more time with the car (which we like) and we're still arriving at our destination the same day we planned ... just later in the day.

BTW, for those wondering about the AutoTrain ... this is the ONLY one in the country. There used to be a second route from Louisville, KY which *also* went to Sanford, FL. It would be great for anyone in the Midwest heading to Florida.

Unfortunately the original AutoTrain company (before Amtrak bought their yards and inventory) went out of business due to that route. The company who owns the actual rail lines apparently doesn't spend much money on upkeep of the tracks. One AutoTrain (pre-Amtrak owning them) derailed. But a while later, they had a second derailment and that one was much more severe. If I recall what I read (I wanted to know why they closed it) something like 70% of the cars were damaged or destroyed in the derailment ... there were many lawsuits. That's basically what put AutoTrain out of business ... and resulting in Amtrak buying their equipment.

Amtrak deemed the route unsuitable and decided they weren't going to risk trying to operate it.
Sponsored