Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
[
Wausau does not have any dcfc. Nether does Green Bay.
Thats correct, well mostly Merrill, Wi does have one at the Chevrolet dealer. I did stay overnight and charged level 2 at the Jefferson Street parking garage. The car was preheated and it was very cold when I departed -10 degrees. Today I am in route to Addison, IL via Madison,WI.

I forgot to take a photo from Wausau to Madison and it was windy and cold the car showed 2.1m/kwh and I set the heat to auto cruse set 4 over the limit.

Charging in Madison was problematic i tried to use a free DCFC at Alliance energy but it would not work last time I got it to work with my RFID card but not this time. I then went to EA at Walmart and the chargers were offline so I charged at a Mobile station it was cheap $5 for a fill up is a good deal.

Below is my pic from Madison to Addison,IL this is an overnight stay too and I will L2 charge. Heat set to auto 65F cruse st 74MPH

Ford Mustang Mach-E Saint Paul to Fargo and back, traveling with my Mach E in the winter 20211207_170746
Sponsored

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
[

Thats correct, well mostly Merrill, Wi does have one at the Chevrolet dealer. I did stay overnight and charged level 2 at the Jefferson Street parking garage. The car was preheated and it was very cold when I departed -10 degrees. Today I am in route to Addison, IL via Madison,WI.

I forgot to take a photo from Wausau to Madison and it was windy and cold the car showed 2.1m/kwh and I set the heat to auto cruse set 4 over the limit.

Charging in Madison was problematic i tried to use a free DCFC at Alliance energy but it would not work last time I got it to work with my RFID card but not this time. I then went to EA at Walmart and the chargers were offline so I charged at a Mobile station it was cheap $5 for a fill up is a good deal.

Below is my pic from Madison to Addison,IL this is an overnight stay too and I will L2 charge. Heat set to auto 65F cruse st 74MPH

Ford Mustang Mach-E Saint Paul to Fargo and back, traveling with my Mach E in the winter 20211207_170746
Boy. You have to take the Mach e to a Chevy dealership to use a slow 25kW dcfc. Tells you Wisconsin is lacking in EV infranstructure.

OP
OP
tuminatr

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Boy. You have to take the Mach e to a Chevy dealership to use a slow 25kW dcfc. Tells you Wisconsin is lacking in EV infranstructure.
Not this trip but when I went from Green Bay to home in Saint Paul earlier this summer I did use it. At least the service manager was smart enough to drive a Ford

Last edited:

e-pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Extended Star White
Country flag
[

To what do you owe the surprisingly low Climate Use? Climate Use is the biggest non-driving drain. More often it is 12-20% Not yet seen a write up of how we can reduce it.

DrSteveBrule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag
To what do you owe the surprisingly low Climate Use? Climate Use is the biggest non-driving drain. More often it is 12-20% Not yet seen a write up of how we can reduce it.
I agree, this is impressively low. I'm eager to understand.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Maybe read this thread?

1. Leave your car plugged in in cold temps
  2. preheat the car before unplugging, either with scheduled departure times or just remote starting the car 10 minutes before you're going to leave
  3. Use the seat and steering wheel heaters and set the HVAC to lower temps

BostonPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER / AWD Built 12/21
Country flag
So you can put Select 18's on the Premium that came with 19's and you don't have to make any changes to the car?

I am thinking about getting dedicated tires / rims for my Premium and this seems like it might be a cheaper option. Rims are stupid money these day...

OP
OP
tuminatr

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
So you can put Select 18's on the Premium that came with 19's and you don't have to make any changes to the car?

I am thinking about getting dedicated tires / rims for my Premium and this seems like it might be a cheaper option. Rims are stupid money these day...
Yes the select wheels fit the premium I don't think they will work on a GT. I bought these off eBay for $140 each shipped.

Here is the only picture from today I forgot to take a pic before I turned the car off.

From Addison il to Detroit the car averaged 2.8m/kwh. I will say I cheated today the temp was up and I turned the heat off and only on when I was getting cold.

The trip from Detroit to grand rapids the car averaged 2.5m/kwh Cruse set to 74 heat on automatic 65 degrees.

On a side note I did see two mach es today. A gray select at Walmart where I was charging and a rapid red GT in South Lyon. Part of my trip today I picked up a set of GT 20" wheels and I'll try them out come summer

I will also concur on one of the earlier posts. I believe why I'm seeing less climate usage is because I preheat the car and because once the car is up to temperature and the climate is set at a low temperature IE 65°, that I'm actually using some of the heat created from driving this is just a theory and probably something that only works on longer trips

Ford Mustang Mach-E Saint Paul to Fargo and back, traveling with my Mach E in the winter 20211208_202905

Last edited:
OP
OP
tuminatr

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Here is the next installment Grand Rapids,MI to Saint Paul

First leg is grand rapids to new buffalo Indiana. Kept heat on auto drove speed limit +4 temp I. The low 30s

20211209_125654.jpg

OP
OP
tuminatr

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Here is the leg through Chicago lots of use of the regenerative braking.

Temperature was near 50 and speed was way up 90 miles per hour through all of Chicago.

20211209_131945.jpg

PXL_20211209_213714764.jpg

jbirdzee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro ER
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I agree, this is impressively low. I'm eager to understand.
I don't believe that the energy consumption from the climate control has dropped when it is reporting 6%, It's that the energy consumption from driving has increased. Since the numbers here are all percentages - they don't really mean much when comparing two separate cars that are travelling at different speeds or paths. If the numbers were listed in kWh (the actual energy consumption of each of the four components listed) better comparisons could be made.

The power consumption of the electric heat will rise to 100% if you are sitting in a parking lot for an hour with the heat on, and the consumption from driving reduces to 0%.

In cold weather you can expect that the climate consumption, as a percentage of energy consumed, will be higher in city stop and go traffic - since the energy consumed from propulsion will be low.

And if you floor it and do 100mph for your commute, you'll make driving consume 95%+ of energy and the climate control % would drop further.

DrSteveBrule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag
I don't believe that the energy consumption from the climate control has dropped when it is reporting 6%, It's that the energy consumption from driving has increased. Since the numbers here are all percentages - they don't really mean much when comparing two separate cars that are travelling at different speeds or paths. If the numbers were listed in kWh (the actual energy consumption of each of the four components listed) better comparisons could be made.
You can literally do the math to get to kWh. Example:

65.3 miles / 3.0 miles/kWh = 21.77 kWh

21.77 kWh * .04 HVAC = 0.87 kWh used by HVAC

jbirdzee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro ER
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
You can literally do the math to get to kWh. Example:

65.3 miles / 3.0 miles/kWh = 21.77 kWh

21.77 kWh * .04 HVAC = 0.87 kWh used by HVAC
Yes - correct. And those calculated results are the ones that drivers could compare with each other here.

I have to say though, I don’t have a lot of faith in the accuracy of the Mi/kWh figures reported on that screen. There have been a few cases where that screen has reported some optimistic Mi/kWh numbers for me. Maybe my math is flawed - but in a recent 55mi trip I used 24% of my battery. 88kWh*24%=21.12kWh. 55/21.12= 2.6Mi/kWh while the car reported 2.9Mi/kWh at the end.

Fordpass told me i used the 21kWh for that trip which agreed with the % of battery I used. But Fordpass later said i only needed 19kWh during my charging session to return to 90%. To add another to this steaming pile, my home charger metered 25kWh into the car when it charged. I know there are losses in charging so I would expect to need 21kWh and pack conditioning losses, ac/dc converter losses to bring this up. I trust the battery % remaining, and right now very little else.

I will start paying closer attention to all of my trip data in an attempt to make better sense of what the car is reporting, or at the very least which numbers are the most trustworthy. Maybe its a FW version thing, or glaring misinterpretation on my part. Sorry to hijack the thread.

OP
OP
tuminatr

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Yes - correct. And those calculated results are the ones that drivers could compare with each other here.

I have to say though, I don’t have a lot of faith in the accuracy of the Mi/kWh figures reported on that screen. There have been a few cases where that screen has reported some optimistic Mi/kWh numbers for me. Maybe my math is flawed - but in a recent 55mi trip I used 24% of my battery. 88kWh*24%=21.12kWh. 55/21.12= 2.6Mi/kWh while the car reported 2.9Mi/kWh at the end.

Fordpass told me i used the 21kWh for that trip which agreed with the % of battery I used. But Fordpass later said i only needed 19kWh during my charging session to return to 90%. To add another to this steaming pile, my home charger metered 25kWh into the car when it charged. I know there are losses in charging so I would expect to need 21kWh and pack conditioning losses, ac/dc converter losses to bring this up. I trust the battery % remaining, and right now very little else.

I will start paying closer attention to all of my trip data in an attempt to make better sense of what the car is reporting, or at the very least which numbers are the most trustworthy. Maybe its a FW version thing, or glaring misinterpretation on my part. Sorry to hijack the thread.
One note or FYI is charging is not 100% efficient So you are bound to use more energy consumed charging than your battery accepts.

I posted this data because of all the hype of how bad EV's are in the winter and after this trip, it will be OK. Kind of like when I first got the car I had huge anxiety about the range and now I don't.

It was also an experiment to see how much All-Weather tires and winter cold would affect the range and they do but it's manageable. Based on the data the 18" wheel tire combo does better than the 19" wheel and tire combo I had on the car. And as a bonus, it seems to ride better IMHO.

I do get that some folks take short trips they don't preheat and the range is short, heat uses a lot of power.

mikenindorf

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
thank you for the info.
Three weekends in a row. Drove Denver to Breckenridge. battery usage was 40% (kept up with traffic) 33% , 40%. (the last 2- averaged a little of 65)
This is from the last drive up.
Did a factory reset on the mileage. Charged to 100%
When I left home for day of skiing- it was from a insutlated garage. Outside temp was 25. GOM Range was 219 miles- loss of 20%. ouch. (AWD premium extended range.)
Preheated the MME.
Used 40% of the battery usage to drive 91 miles.- up hill. Coming back battery usage was 20%.
Since it got before 50, i have lost 20-30 % of my driving distance. As Ford is in Detriot, so disappointed that they did incorporate a heat pump for the cold weather driving.
Sponsored