Anthropod

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150, on order 2022 Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
What really is Active-X? Is it PVC? Is it other?
They just say it’s synthetic really.
I had MB with their synthetic leather. It was good stuff. It took a lot of abuse that would have made leather cry. The only thing I did to take care of it was 303.

I would love to know what is the proper care and maintenance of Active-X.

That said, even if you don’t take care of it, less than 2 years and 25K miles it should not crack like that.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
What I don't like is that fake leather is plastic. Since when is plastic vegan? Doesn't plastic come from algae deposits from 65M years ago? Isn't that technically animal derived (is algae an animal?).

Regardless, I think I'd be more concerned with plastic pollution and out gassing, then the impact of using the waste product from meat consumption. (no one is eating meat because I need leather seats. They are using the leather because I'm eating meat).

I think real vegan seating covers would be cloth (i.e. plant-based fibers like cotton, hemp-based fibers, etc). But not plastic-based cloth. The problem is I don't know how durable (or comfortable) this would be.

Mike
Stop using logic!

Logic like this is why I only got a B+ on my paper in my environmental ethics course in college. 🤣

We read a book where the author proposed the idea that no animal life (including humans) was more valuable than the next.

So my logical conclusion was that we should kill as many animal predators as possible.

By killing 1 lion, I save hundreds of gazelles.

Kill 1 large fish and I save thousands of small fish.

And even the most cautious human will kill millions of micro organisms and insects in their lifetime even by accident…….

B+

Anthropod

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150, on order 2022 Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
Stop using logic!

Logic like this is why I only got a B+ on my paper in my environmental ethics course in college.
Unless this was grad school, I would have been thrilled with a B+. I think logic served you well!

intoMME

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD Select w/Tech Pkg. Infinity Blue
Country flag
Bummer. I imagine that the perforations don't help. When you buy something in a plastic package and they want it to be easy to tear open...they perforate the plastic. I have 22,000 miles on my black vinyl non-perforated seats in my select, and there are no signs of wear. I've had two BMWs with vinyl seats and two with leather seats. Vinyl outperformed the leather, being much more durable, at least in that brand.

SteveGPhD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E select AWD 2022
Country flag
I don't know about Ford but Subaru will not cover this under warranty calling it "an esthetics" problem which is not covered. Please let us know if Ford covers it or not, I'm really curious.

cmsmith1977

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Grey GT
Country flag
Has anyone had their seat material start to break up? Just noticed yesterday that mine is starting to crack around the ventilations. Hopefully it won't be an issue under warranty.

PXL_20220913_170207905.jpg
same here. Took it to the dealer yesterday and they are replacing under warranty.

C02934CE-FFC5-4B3A-AD0C-CF09B5E2CF78.jpeg

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Not having that issue, but it’s just a reminder why I hate fake leather.

All vinyl eventually cracks. Leather? Not so much.

I wish they would offer real leather seats. “Vegan leather” in electric cars is silly. Especially if you’re trying to sell them to everyone. The rest of the car isn’t “vegan” anyways. In fact, no car is vegan.
Not having that issue, but it’s just a reminder why I hate fake leather.

All vinyl eventually cracks. Leather? Not so much.

I wish they would offer real leather seats. “Vegan leather” in electric cars is silly. Especially if you’re trying to sell them to everyone. The rest of the car isn’t “vegan” anyways. In fact, no car is vegan.
A friend of mine goes out of his way to not purchase leather products and to purchase “vegan” products as much as possible. For him, it’s an ethical choice. In fact, he just purchased a Ranger XLT instead of a Lariat because he couldn’t get the Lariat without leather seats (and yes, he is aware the gearshift and steering wheel are leather wrapped in his XLT.) I’d like to see the manufacturers offer people the choices.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Mine is. It’s yet to eat a single tourist — much to my sorrow. :p
Uh oh. I’d better cross Hi off my post retirement bucket list destinations then. Sigh. And I wanted to see the big mountain where all the observatories are 😢

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
What I don't like is that fake leather is plastic. Since when is plastic vegan? Doesn't plastic come from algae deposits from 65M years ago? Isn't that technically animal derived (is algae an animal?).

Regardless, I think I'd be more concerned with plastic pollution and out gassing, then the impact of using the waste product from meat consumption. (no one is eating meat because I need leather seats. They are using the leather because I'm eating meat).

I think real vegan seating covers would be cloth (i.e. plant-based fibers like cotton, hemp-based fibers, etc). But not plastic-based cloth. The problem is I don't know how durable (or comfortable) this would be.

Mike
Actually, there’s something of a debate among the “radical vegan” community about the status of different one celled organisms, like algae. (I’m a lacto-ovo vegetarian, so I may as well be a member of that satan worshipping cabal that eats the unborn or something as far as the “radical vegans” are concerned). All joking aside, I’m not positive, but I believe they go by whether or not the organism uses photosynthesis, or whether not not the organism uses oxygen in its metabolic processes and produces CO2 as a waste product (animal - can’t eat it) or uses CO2 in its metabolic processes and produces O2 as a waste product (plant - you’re good to graze).

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I had a Miata and, at least back in the late 90s / early 2000s, Mazda was renowned for the poor quality of their leather. It would age and wear down quickly, crack, and it wasn’t uncommon for people to have actual holes wear through their seats after just a few years of ownership.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
I had a Miata and, at least back in the late 90s / early 2000s, Mazda was renowned for the poor quality of their leather. It would age and wear down quickly, crack, and it wasn’t uncommon for people to have actual holes wear through their seats after just a few years of ownership.
We had a 2001 Miata for 12 years with the top down 95% of the time and nary a single issue with the leather seats. Just sayin'.