Raja
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mercedes Benz E350 4matic
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
Original manual said they come on at 18 mph and above. I stand corrected--that was changed to 32 mph. So, at 32 or above they will come on.
Oh shoot, that is ridiculous. Just because I'm going slow doesn't mean I don't want highbeams. May be I'm being cautious or searching for something on the road or whatever.

Thank You for your reply.
Sponsored

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
my auto high beams go on all the time in my drive into my neighborhood and and well under 32 mph. I have to always shit them off since its shining into houses
My experience with my Mach E is that high beam stays on after I drop below 32mph if the high beam had been on. Maybe this is why?

May be I'm being cautious or searching for something on the road or whatever.
I agree with you. With my 30mph drive on a hilly road with potential deers, my high beam should definitely be on.

Unfortunately, there’s also the issue of shining into people’s homes in residential areas (as @Ravensfan1996 pointed out). The idea is that at below 32mph, (1) the low beam should shine far enough and (2) you may be in a residential neighborhood.

That’s not perfect: in my 30mph hilly road, low beam is definitely not far enough. Unfortunately, there’s no easy way to be perfect. In those times, you’d have to control the high beam manually.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Threshold means maximum of 32mph speed? So between 18 and 32 mph only or would work?
What my understanding is that one of the conditions for the auto high beam to turn on automatically is a speed over 30 mph. They will turn off if the speed falls below 18 mph. That is from the manual. I will have to see how it works in real life when my car arrives. If my Mach is delayed a bit I won’t have to worry cause June and July it does not get dark!

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
My experience with my Mach E is that high beam stays on after I drop below 32mph if the high beam had been on.
What my understanding is that one of the conditions for the auto high beam to turn on automatically is a speed over 30 mph. They will turn off if the speed falls below 18 mph.
Your explanation sounds very plausible. I definitely observed that my high beam stays on if I drop below 32mph. It eventually turns off, but I haven’t figured out when. What you said sounds very likely.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Your explanation sounds very plausible. I definitely observed that my high beam stays on if I drop below 32mph. It eventually turns off, but I haven’t figured out when. What you said sounds very likely.
What I plan to test at some point is if the auto high has engaged and you are then down to driving at 25 mph and then an approaching car shuts off the high beam then will the high beam come back on after the car passes or do you have to go back above 32 mph?

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
if the auto high has engaged and you are then down to driving at 25 mph and then an approaching car shuts off the high beam then will the high beam come back on after the car passes or do you have to go back above 32 mph?
I haven’t specifically tested this. But I would be very surprised If you don’t have to go back above 32mph.

fokkerlit

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e
Country flag
Your high beams may not be on at all. I sometimes get flashed by other cars too. Do you have a Premium or GT? The headlamps on these trims are extraordinarily bright. Part of the arms race in recent years of ever and ever brighter headlamps.
I get flashed all the time and I never have my high beams on. They do a decent job of keeping the normal headlights below the windshield of the other cars, when we're not on level ground and the normal lights creep into their window is when I get it the most.

Reactions: ARK

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Oh shoot, that is ridiculous. Just because I'm going slow doesn't mean I don't want highbeams. May be I'm being cautious or searching for something on the road or whatever.

Thank You for your reply.
I don’t think you understand the purpose of high beams. It’s to provide additional light further down the road so you don’t overrun your line of sight at higher speeds.
you have ample line of sight at slow speeds for the regular headlights.
I don’t know why you want auto high beams to assume you’re “searching” for something. Just turn them on yourself… lol

Raja777m

First Name
Raja
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
I don’t think you understand the purpose of high beams. It’s to provide additional light further down the road so you don’t overrun your line of sight at higher speeds.
you have ample line of sight at slow speeds for the regular headlights.
I don’t know why you want auto high beams to assume you’re “searching” for something. Just turn them on yourself… lol
The street near my home have speed limit of 45, with small curve with full of trees and with home community with high wall/fence and trees.

And currently there is an area not developed (assume forest like trees)..!

Edit: I'm pretty comfortable how my 2014 E350 Benz uses it's adaptive highbeams (irrespective of speed). It's just USA just approved full ILS, Until now both headlights dim down when it detects oncoming traffic.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
It's just USA just approved full ILS, Until now both headlights dim down when it detects oncoming traffic
Sort of. Unfortunately, we’re still stuck with 55 year old lumen standards that the NHTSA has said it has no intention of changing. ?‍♂

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Sort of. Unfortunately, we’re still stuck with 55 year old lumen standards that the NHTSA has said it has no intention of changing. ?‍♂
What’s wrong with being 55 years old. Now get off my lawn
Ford Mustang Mach-E Setting Auto dimming Headlights 0BAA3FA0-A620-4458-8AA6-79CC3B704556

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
The street near my home have speed limit of 45, with small curve with full of trees and with home community with high wall/fence and trees.

And currently there is an area not developed (assume forest like trees)..!
I guess I don’t understand the purpose of the high beams in this scenario. Are you trying to light up the foliage?
Yes the high beams have a wider pattern and go out much further but the idea is that if you’re going slow you don’t need to see that far down the road because you’re reaction time is more than adequate.
Maybe it’s just a comfort thing, lighting up the top of the trees around you looks great but how beneficial is it really to justify it being the standard for everyone?

Raja777m

First Name
Raja
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
I guess I don’t understand the purpose of the high beams in this scenario. Are you trying to light up the foliage?
Yes the high beams have a wider pattern and go out much further but the idea is that if you’re going slow you don’t need to see that far down the road because you’re reaction time is more than adequate.
Maybe it’s just a comfort thing, lighting up the top of the trees around you looks great but how beneficial is it really to justify it being the standard for everyone?
Distance and if there are any animals as well.

Oh, regarding the lower speed limit, I'm just complaining it is not from 0mph, why they have to limit from 19 to 32mph only.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Distance and if there are any animals as well.

Oh, regarding the lower speed limit, I'm just complaining it is not from 0mph, why they have to limit from 19 to 32mph only.
Well that’s my point. No one needs to see 400ft in front of them going 10mph. At 30mph your going 45ft per second, low beams should give you several seconds of reaction time which is fine in most driving conditions.
Only the “auto” feature turns off under 32mph. You can still turn them on yourself if you feel the need to in a certain circumstance.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Well that’s my point. No one needs to see 400ft in front of them going 10mph. At 30mph your going 45ft per second, low beams should give you several seconds of reaction time which is fine in most driving conditions.
Only the “auto” feature turns off under 32mph. You can still turn them on yourself if you feel the need to in a certain circumstance.
Tell that to the wild boars trying to commit suicide on our vehicles out here.:p

personally, I want that road flooded with light so they stay away. ;)
Sponsored