Setting for doors to unlock when shifting into Park?

FirstPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 AWD ER Prem red/black, '22 Kia Sorento PHEV
Country flag
I tried a search for this but no luck, so hopefully this hasn't already been covered.

One small frustration I've found is... if I shift the car into park but don't turn the car off, the doors remain locked. This is annoying when you have to do things like pick up the kids somewhere. Is there a setting somewhere such that, once the car is shifted to park, the doors unlock so they can be opened from the outside? Without having to separately push the unlock button after putting it in park?

Literally every other car I've owned (in the age of auto-locking doors) does this automatically.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I tried a search for this but no luck, so hopefully this hasn't already been covered.

One small frustration I've found is... if I shift the car into park but don't turn the car off, the doors remain locked. This is annoying when you have to do things like pick up the kids somewhere. Is there a setting somewhere such that, once the car is shifted to park, the doors unlock so they can be opened from the outside? Without having to separately push the unlock button after putting it in park?

Literally every other car I've owned (in the age of auto-locking doors) does this automatically.
There must be a setting for that because my door unlock when I shift into Park. My car has the new UI so everything is moved around. I will dig through the settings and see what I can find....

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Or you could just set it to not auto-lock. Then it won’t have to unlock.

OP
OP
FirstPony

FirstPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Or you could just set it to not auto-lock. Then it won’t have to unlock.
There's a way to have it not lock the doors when you start moving? I didn't think to check for that setting. Not sure I would want to turn that off anyway.

OP
OP
FirstPony

FirstPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yup. Auto-locking drives me nuts.
OK.

I personally just want it to behave like every other car I've had in the last couple decades. Lock the doors when starting to drive, for safety. Then unlock when you put it in Park. I honestly thought that was the way cars all were now by default, so I was surprised that wasn't the case with our Mach-E.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
OK.

I personally just want it to behave like every other car I've had in the last couple decades. Lock the doors when starting to drive, for safety. Then unlock when you put it in Park. I honestly thought that was the way cars all were now by default, so I was surprised that wasn't the case with our Mach-E.
Mine behaves the same way all my cars always have. Because I always turn it off.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
There is no setting to do this. Ford vehicles do not unlock when the vehicle is out into Park. You must turn the vehicle off or switch to accessmide AND open the driver's door.

AUTOUNLOCK REQUIREMENTS
Autounlock unlocks all the doors when all
of the following occur:
• The vehicle is on, all the doors are
closed and your vehicle is moving at a
speed greater than 12 mph (20 km/h).
• Your vehicle comes to a stop.
• You open the driver door within 10
minutes of switching the vehicle off or
to the accessory position.

OP
OP
FirstPony

FirstPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is no setting to do this. Ford vehicles do not unlock when the vehicle is out into Park. You must turn the vehicle off or switch to accessmide AND open the driver's door.

AUTOUNLOCK REQUIREMENTS
of the following occur:
So it's a Ford thing? Interesting.

Also weird that the list you put there does not include the car being in Park.

I haven't owned a Ford since my 2008 Escape Hybrid. I didn't think it kept the doors locked in Park, but maybe I am misremembering. My more recent cars have been a Honda and two Kias. Also there was a Saturn in there along with the Ford Escape. All of them unlocked the doors when you put it in Park.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When you turn the Mach-E off, it shifts to Park.

Autounlock usually can be turned off as well as Autolock. Haven't looked in the car's settings.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

AUTOUNLOCK REQUIREMENTS
of the following occur:
Nope. My doors open fine even when I leave the vehicle in READY mode.

Well.....to be fair. Maybe they are locked but pulling on the handle may override the lock and the door opens anyway. 🤔

Edit: oh, I get what you are saying. Unlock all doors. I am pretty sure my passengers have been able to exit the vehicle even with my door closed. Heck, I think they have even opened their doors while still in Drive (and foot on the brake).

Now I will have to go test it out. Interesting....

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, you are not understanding.

Unlock is for people to get in, not out. Pull handle, door unlocks. Or pull handle twice on some doors.

People get annoyed that they pull up and put it in Park, and doors stay locked, so the people they are picking up cannot get in without the driver hitting the door unlock button or exiting.

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
I thought any door could be opened from the inside when the car goes into park.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Yes, Rick is correct, you must do PARK + OFF + OPEN FRONT DOOR to auto-unlock. It's been like this on all Fords for 15+ years to prevent carjackings in parking lots.

If you are picking up passengers you'll need to press the unlock button first to let them in. That shouldn't be too hard.

OP
OP
FirstPony

FirstPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Unlock is for people to get in, not out. Pull handle, door unlocks. Or pull handle twice on some doors.

People get annoyed that they pull up and put it in Park, and doors stay locked, so the people they are picking up cannot get in without the driver hitting the door unlock button or exiting.
Exactly. Sorry if my initial description wasn't clear on that.

Yes, Rick is correct, you must do PARK + OFF + OPEN FRONT DOOR to auto-unlock. It's been like this on all Fords for 15+ years to prevent carjackings in parking lots.

If you are picking up passengers you'll need to press the unlock button first to let them in. That shouldn't be too hard.
Clearly this is a first world sort of problem, and it isn't that hard. I can indeed push a button. It is just a small annoyance that would be nice to have a setting on to go either way with. I understand the security reasoning - just wish I could make the choice. If I cannot, oh well, I think I'll live.
Sponsored