Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Camry Hybrid / Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Health Inspector
Country flag
Thank you for all your kind words, besides the pain in my ribcage I am really upset about the loss of my beautiful MME. But you are right, it could have been worse and a car is a car and can be replaced.
The police report shows the other driver failed to Yield, so that is pretty clear.

In addition, I have a repair/replacement policy. It is my understanding the insurance has to pay the full replacement value of the car, not just the time value, should it be totaled.
If I decide to buy a new 23 MME, or 22 if I can find one in FL, I should qualify for the $7,500 tax credit again, right? That definitely would help.

The waiting started, I do not have a rental car (yet) as it is supposedly not part of my policy. I had no idea.
Absolutely get a rental car NOW! I've never had rental coverage on my auto policy and my last 3(!!) accidents (all stupid rear-enders) were totally (0%) my fault. [One was a hit & run who was caught by our CHP and charged!] Other party's ins carrier reimbursed me 100% of car rental charges on all 3 claims! I even got an Amtrak commuter train ticket covered, ha-ha, while searching for a replacement car. This situation sucks... Don't suffer more without transportation.
Sponsored

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Our cars are all insured for "agreed value" which is always $10k over MSRP. I often question the wisdom of the extra couple hundred bucks a year in premium, until I see pictures like this.

Glad you're okay- bruised/broken ribs suck, but they do heal (eventually), fortunately.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Thank you for all your kind words, besides the pain in my ribcage I am really upset about the loss of my beautiful MME. But you are right, it could have been worse and a car is a car and can be replaced.
The police report shows the other driver failed to Yield, so that is pretty clear.

In addition, I have a repair/replacement policy. It is my understanding the insurance has to pay the full replacement value of the car, not just the time value, should it be totaled.
If I decide to buy a new 23 MME, or 22 if I can find one in FL, I should qualify for the $7,500 tax credit again, right? That definitely would help.

The waiting started, I do not have a rental car (yet) as it is supposedly not part of my policy. I had no idea.
I assume you have the other driver's insurance info and have filed a claim with them at this point?

They should be ponying up ASAP to pay for a rental car and any of your other related expenses, including all the gas you're going to be using if you have an ICE rental. They and the driver are responsible for damages to you and your car.

Your insurance will help you but as you discovered, you're somewhat dependent on your policy with them. Your insurance would subrogate and seek compensation from the other drivers insurance. However if the other driver has decent insurance, go contact them directly, that's the easiest and cheapest way to get this claim and your damages sorted out. Of course if there's some contention on who is at fault here then that's another story....

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Absolutely get a rental car NOW! I've never had rental coverage on my auto policy and my last 3(!!) accidents (all stupid rear-enders) were totally (0%) my fault. [One was a hit & run who was caught by our CHP and charged!] Other party's ins carrier reimbursed me 100% of car rental charges on all 3 claims! I even got an Amtrak commuter train ticket covered, ha-ha, while searching for a replacement car. This situation sucks... Don't suffer more without transportation.
Have you checked the cost of adding rental car coverage to your policy? It costs me an extra $12 a year. No brainer.

Bodyshopguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e GT/2020 BMW 750iM/60 Vette/12 Wrangler
Occupation
Collision Center(s) Owner
Country flag
Ten days ago, in the aftermath of hurricane IAN I got in a severe crash with my MME, The light on a major intersection in Fort Myers, FL was not working but a cop was directing traffic. I waited first in line for my turn and crossed the intersection when I was signaled to do so. Unfortunately, I got hit by a van from the right. I got out injured but okay, but the car is in bad shape. 18 months old, just under 10k miles.
The question is if it can be repaired, and do I even want a fixed car? Or is it a total loss? Sad story.

20221005_101231.jpg

Let me know if the insurance company fixes it... and if there were parts delays... I'm curious... It should be much better than Tesla... it appears to be a total with the firewall and apron damages.

guinn

First Name
Guinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select Standard Range; 2023 AWD Premium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ten days ago, in the aftermath of hurricane IAN I got in a severe crash with my MME, The light on a major intersection in Fort Myers, FL was not working but a cop was directing traffic. I waited first in line for my turn and crossed the intersection when I was signaled to do so. Unfortunately, I got hit by a van from the right. I got out injured but okay, but the car is in bad shape. 18 months old, just under 10k miles.
The question is if it can be repaired, and do I even want a fixed car? Or is it a total loss? Sad story.

20221005_101231.jpg
This looks very similar to the damage my car sustained. It took 5 months and $20,000 worth of repairs, but I have it back in pretty good shape. If your main battery is damaged then it's probably totaled. I have also filed a diminished value claim. I will try to post pictures and more details tomorrow.

OP
OP
HRT_Florida913

HRT_Florida913

First Name
Reinhard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Metallic MME, PR ER AWD, Mar 30, 21
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Have you checked the cost of adding rental car coverage to your policy? It costs me an extra $12 a year. No brainer.
Of course, you are absolutely correct. I just did not know it was not included already, and the insurance company never offered it or asked. NOW I will add it, after the fact.

RedStormREHS

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Camry Hybrid / Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Health Inspector
Country flag
Of course, you are absolutely correct. I just did not know it was not included already, and the insurance company never offered it or asked. NOW I will add it, after the fact.
Ehhh. We have 3 vehicles and 2 drivers in our household and it cost like $38/insured vehicle per year. Cheap add-on, yeah, but not needed since odds are that my accidents are zero fault for me and other carrier's ins reimburses as part of prop damage claim. I guess there could be trouble for us if the other driver flees like the last time and is never identified! Happened to my wife a long while back. That's where the dashcams will help! People are reading traffic lights as just guides here... ehhh, obey if you'd like to... whatever man... Hence why US traffic fatalities are trending up.... very bad!

Mrs Chivus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Since the other driver was at fault, it's up to THEIR insurance company to pay for your rental car and repairs to your car or the replacement value of your car. You may need to argue with them to get what you feel it is worth to you.
Sponsored