Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select RWD
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I am wondering if it is possible to mount a ski box (or other luggage carrier) on the Mach-e?
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I am wondering if it is possible to mount a ski box (or other luggage carrier) on the Mach-e?
It will be once Thule, Yakima, and others start selling the feet to attach their rack systems to the roof.

OP
OP
Lucky luke

Lucky luke

First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select RWD
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
It will be once Thule, Yakima, and others start selling the feet to attach their rack systems to the roof.
I hope it's possible due to the special design of the roof?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I hope it's possible due to the special design of the roof?
I'm sure it is. The roof isn't that special. The supports go at the doors and nothing touches the glass anyway.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
The roof would need the attachment points for for the rack podium feet. Maybe someone who has seen the vehicle can chime in if the car has those or not.

stroszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 92x
Country flag
Ford said they were working with third parties to design roof racks at one point so there must be something to attach to.

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
The roof would need the attachment points for for the rack podium feet. Maybe someone who has seen the vehicle can chime in if the car has those or not.
When I had a Saabaru, the feet went over the lip above the door and clamped on. That should work here too. The feet are vehicle specific.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
When I had a Saabaru, the feet went over the lip above the door and clamped on. That should work here too. The feet are vehicle specific.
I've had the same Thule rack since the early 1990s. I've mounted it on a Ford Taurus Wagon, A Subaru Outback, and a Toyota Prius. The mounts to at the door frame edge and all I'm waiting for are new feet to put it on the Mach E.

OP
OP
Lucky luke

Lucky luke

First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select RWD
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I'm sure it is. The roof isn't that special. The supports go at the doors and nothing touches the glass anyway.
OK, thanks ChasingCoral. I have not seen the car in real so it's difficult for me to judge. And I am sorry, it looks as there are similar threads as mine (I am new to this forum :()

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
I've had the same Thule rack since the early 1990s. I've mounted it on a Ford Taurus Wagon, A Subaru Outback, and a Toyota Prius. The mounts to at the door frame edge and all I'm waiting for are new feet to put it on the Mach E.
Those edge pieces on the roof seemed flimsy, possibly plastic, when I looked at the car. Didn’t seem structural at all. It didn’t seem like something you could install those clamp-style roof rack mounts to.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Those edge pieces on the roof seemed flimsy, possibly plastic, when I looked at the car. Didn’t seem structural at all. It didn’t seem like something you could install those clamp-style roof rack mounts to.
For those who have never used a Thule or Yakima roof rack, the feet mount at the steel door edge as shown in the ovals below.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ski box on Mach-E IMG_6301

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ski box on Mach-E IMG_6300

Here's one of the myriad videos available online on how to attach a rack.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lucky luke

Lucky luke

First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select RWD
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
For those who have never used a Thule or Yakima roof rack, the feet mount at the steel door edge as shown in the ovals below.

Should work fine for the Mach-e, even at the back door, I guess. Actually I am driving a car with frameless door/window and there I do not like this type of mount. There are fix holes to mount my Thule roof rack.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
My concern is with the ~horizontal surface on top, that the roof rack’s foot is resting on and being pressed into with the wraparound clamp. You have the clamp force bearing down on that surface, plus the mass of the rack and attached cargo. If that surface is not structural, it will not maintain its original shape.

I had a similar rack on a WRX once. I apparently overloaded it with a two person kayak, and was left with permanent deformation of the metal under those roof rack supports.

I might be wrong about the strength of the MME there...it was just a quick check wondering about rack options. My conclusion was a roof rack wouldn’t be an option...maybe others will prove me wrong.
Sponsored