Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Hi all,

I haven't seen much mention of this. But has anyone noticed a pronounced sloshing noise that is very intermittent? I think my car makes it most often during changes of the parameters of the climate controls, it sounds like liquid being moved quickly just about under the dash. This isn't really an issue, it just seems odd. I want to know if it's normal. The car is so quiet compared to may other cars, and it's such an odd noise is maybe why I notice it.
Sponsored

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
Mine does it as well. Probably the pumps allocating cooling fluid between batteries/cabin/electric motor(s) depending on climate control settings. You wouldn't normally hear this on a fossil car as they're noisy anyway. :)

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I have noticed it when starting the car, and I hear it better outside the car. Probably what you are hearing is normal, and like you said, easier to hear because there is no engine noise. Also, the battery coolant lines are big and probably make more noise than those on an ICE car.

smhenn

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Heard this sound for the first time yesterday. Glad it's nothing to worry about!

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
It's the water pump for the heater. Anytime e heat turns on you'll hear the water. It's how I know it's turned on a lot of times. If the radio is on you can't hear it though.

Moigno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
I’ve been hearing sloshing sounds when braking and accelerating. It’s remarkable to hear that others have been hearing these too, since I thought it was just me, for the following reason: After having the glass roof recall done some months back, the work had to be redone because of water ingress into the plastic panel above the rear view mirror. I thought the sloshing was because some water remained trapped in the bodywork… but after seeing this thread, I’m thinking maybe it’s just liquid circulating as designed?

Does anyone have opinions on where the sloshing sounds seem to come from? I could have sworn they were overhead but maybe I’m just imagining things. Is anyone else hearing them specifically when accelerating or braking?

OP
OP

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
@Moigno yeah, I really think it's design. You don't notice them unless you are listening for them. This car makes all kinds of sounds that aren't typical for a car because you don't have the sound of an engine covering them up.

DrSteveBrule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag
I hear it when starting up. I actually find it strangely reassuring in an "everything's working" sort of way. It's like the car is alive and ready to do my bidding.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I’ve been hearing sloshing sounds when braking and accelerating. It’s remarkable to hear that others have been hearing these too, since I thought it was just me, for the following reason: After having the glass roof recall done some months back, the work had to be redone because of water ingress into the plastic panel above the rear view mirror. I thought the sloshing was because some water remained trapped in the bodywork… but after seeing this thread, I’m thinking maybe it’s just liquid circulating as designed?

Does anyone have opinions on where the sloshing sounds seem to come from? I could have sworn they were overhead but maybe I’m just imagining things. Is anyone else hearing them specifically when accelerating or braking?
I think you are correct and you are hearing the normal circulation of the coolant that is used to maintain the battery temperature.

Isn't this forum great! Now you can stop worrying about the sloshing sound! It is completely normal.

Lynsey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT - Star White
Country flag
Love this forum. I never noticed the noise before. I first heard it today when starting the car, and was worried. Just searched "water sound" and now I can sleep ;)
Sponsored