Yeskamil

First Name
Kml
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
QX60, waiting on Mach e
Country flag
So I broke my small screen, the one in front of the steering wheel. It's a long story, but the screen is gone.

I was luckily able to find a used on on eBay pretty cheap and bought it without doing much thinking.

Has anyone replaced their screen? How do you even access it? Any help on will be much appreciated. I would very much like to avoid the dealer in this case and the dealer costs, but at the same time don't want to mess up my car by pulling or breaking something. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The entire dashboard needs to come apart, and there may be some software that needs to be updated. You’ll probably need to get the dealer involved.

I know you said it was a long story, but how did the screen break?

OP
OP

Yeskamil

First Name
Kml
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
QX60, waiting on Mach e
Country flag
So without making the story too long, as I'm sure everyone can fill in their own details, it involves my 16 year old daughter breaking her bed and me telling her to go to Home Depot to get a 2x4 so I can fix it.

Her car was too small so she decided bo take my MachE, with her boyfriend sitting next to her holding to 2x4 trying not to damage by main screen if the 2x4 slips.

Then there was a tortoise on the road which had my daughter brake hard and her boyfriend holding the 2x4 from hitting my main screen, but having a perfect aim to hit my small screen instead.

Luckily, the tortoise was saved. Pic attached.

The small screen I purchased is from the same 2022 MachE4 Premium with standard battery, and running the same software I am on the vehicle. I stopped all my automatic updates to make sure I don't update to any newer version. So I think it should work without any software updates, I just need to get in the somehow.

Anyone can help me get started in getting the dash apart?

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 5.06.12 PM.png

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Never done this myself, just seen it done on other Ford's where people wanted a different cluster, but it does require re-programming to work with another car. This may be different for the Mach E, but probably not. Basically you need to program the correct mileage of your car, and also the VIN is stored there too and needs updated along with other config items in the car. That is the AsBuilt config data.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I believe that you cannot replace an instrument panel without involving the manufacturer, due to the odometer. Dealers cannot reprogram it.

If the display is separate, maybe.

Two lessons here:

1) I never let my kids drive my EVs. Both are way older than your daughter.
2) Run over the turtle...

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
I believe that you cannot replace an instrument panel without involving the manufacturer, due to the odometer. Dealers cannot reprogram it.

If the display is separate, maybe.

Two lessons here:

1) I never let my kids drive my EVs. Both are way older than your daughter.
2) Run over the turtle...

Forscan can write the odometer only if you're going to a higher mileage than is already recorded on the "new" cluster. Example, the cluster you bought has 13456.7 miles on it, and your car has 23456.7 miles on it. You can write it forward. You can't lower it by design. The dealer can't even help you in that case. Also, There's no VIN programmed in the cluster, if there was, that's fixable with Forscan anyway.

There's a handful of Forscan threads out there if you need help getting started with that tool.

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/asbuilt

Put in your vin and look for the data starting at 720-01-01, make sure it matches the new cluster, or change it if necessary.

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/Purchase/ViewProduct

You can buy 3 days of the service manual in order to find the procedure to get it changed out, unless someone here already paid for it and wants to send you the relevant material.

OP
OP

Yeskamil

First Name
Kml
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
QX60, waiting on Mach e
Country flag
Hmmmm, I never consider the aspect of the odometer and VIN with the screen replacement. I always considered the screen to be just a screen, same as with a phone or laptop. Especially since the car still works with with the broken screen.

I would still very much like to try it and report back if it works, but I may have to give up and go to the dealer since I have no idea how to take the dash apart. I found how to do it on ICE Mustangs on Youtube, but nothing for the MachE. Unless someone can give some pointers I'll have to give up on this.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Hmmmm, I never consider the aspect of the odometer and VIN with the screen replacement. I always considered the screen to be just a screen, same as with a phone or laptop. Especially since the car still works with with the broken screen.

I would still very much like to try it and report back if it works, but I may have to give up and go to the dealer since I have no idea how to take the dash apart. I found how to do it on ICE Mustangs on Youtube, but nothing for the MachE. Unless someone can give some pointers I'll have to give up on this.
Post #7 provides you with a link to buy 3 days of service manual.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Some people have dealt with the driver display replacement because of a buzzing noise. If you search for 'buzzing noise' on the forum, you should be able to find some threads.

Basically, from the people who have reported it done, they have said that it is actually a huge thing - whoever said the dash needs to come apart is correct - and that getting the new driver display to work correctly with the rest of the car is more complicated than being plug and play.

+1 to getting the dealer involved. Perhaps consider an insurance claim too? I think the labor on it might be substantial even if you already have the part. Everyone who's done it for the buzzing issue though has done it via warranty so I don't know if you will find people talking about what the cost was.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag

I don't want to sound offensive, but I don't think this would be a task you should try yourself if you're not prepared to do the programming part. You're going to run into difficulties later.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I happened to be able to peek at the procedure for this.

Be forewarned - practically the WHOLE dash needs to come apart from door to door. Including taking out the big screen...

Brrr...

Last edited:

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I happened to be able to peek at the procedure for this.

Be forewarned - practically the WHOLE dash needs to come apart from door to door. Including taking out the big screen...

Brrr...
Sponsored