DJinMD

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 California Route 1
Country flag
I've been looking at a few EVs (currently don't have a Mach-E, but it's at the top of my list) and was wondering whether software updates do anything to boost range performance in the Mach-E? I test drive a Polestar 2 today and asked the salesman about software updates and range. He said with the 2 that software updates usually boost the range about 10 miles. When I asked what the limit to that was, the answer I got was that 400-500 miles per full charge was possible years down the road with the software updates. This seemed wrong to me. I think he either didn't understand my question or was BSing me because he didn't know. Either way, just wondering if the software updates do anything to increase the range of the Mach-E?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
In short, likely nothing.

2021s got an update releasing 2-3kwh of battery. A tad more might get released someday. That's it.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I've been looking at a few EVs (currently don't have a Mach-E, but it's at the top of my list) and was wondering whether software updates do anything to boost range performance in the Mach-E? I test drive a Polestar 2 today and asked the salesman about software updates and range. He said with the 2 that software updates usually boost the range about 10 miles. When I asked what the limit to that was, the answer I got was that 400-500 miles per full charge was possible years down the road with the software updates. This seemed wrong to me. I think he either didn't understand my question or was BSing me because he didn't know. Either way, just wondering if the software updates do anything to increase the range of the Mach-E?
lol salesman will say anything

HGxxx

First Name
Harish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion energi, mach e premium standard range
Country flag
Sorry but lols to the guy who told you 400-500 miles with just software update 😅😂😂.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Software won’t change physics….

But given that Ford (and others) “hides” a portion of the battery pack for longevity, so like Rick said, maybe down the road a bit more will be added to the usable amount, but that’s a tall tale you’ve been told…

Reactions: TTF

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Wow that's hilarious. Your salesman doesn't have a clue. Software updates are only going to get you small range increases like 10-15 miles, and really only in the first year of a new model as they tweak the software. After that the software is fully optimized and you aren't going to get any more range. Ford has already optimized the most out of the Mach-E, so we're not going to get any more range.

Range goes down as the years goes on as the battery degrades. So the day you drive it off the lot is probably the most range it will ever have.
Sponsored