Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Are you referring to the GOM or real range? As discussed many times in this forum, and as you probably know, it can be very conservative and report a range that is lower than what you can actually achieve.

That said, cold weather impacts all BEVs, Teslas included. I don't think any BEV has solved that problem yet. The impact to the MME is similar to the impact to other BEVs. Therefore it isn't a con for the MME, IMO.
Not entirely true.

There's plenty of evidence that EVs with heat pumps reduce range loss. Mach-E and ID.4 both lack heat pumps and suffer from larger range drops than other EVs.
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Not entirely true.

There's plenty of evidence that EVs with heat pumps reduce range loss. Mach-E and ID.4 both lack heat pumps and suffer from larger range drops than other EVs.
Theoretically that is true, but I have not seen any data that demonstrates how much better the range is at various temperatures. Heat pumps don't work well in very cold temperatures, and often need a resistance heater anyway to actually provide warm air in the cabin.

Would you rather have a warm cabin or longer cold weather range? So instead of complaints about cold weather range, people will complain about being cold in their car. Which people have complained about in this forum anyway. It would be worse with a heat pump.

The point is batteries do not work well when cold with current battery technology. Making it a con for the MME is not appropriate IMO. It is a BEV con.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Not without markups where I am at. Hyundai? 5k Kia? 8k. Tesla, they just raise prices like crazy. Others the wait is absurd.
Audi used to offer incredible discounts on the etron. Right when Ford started delivering Mach-Es in Q1 2021, some discussion on here about whether people should buy a Mach-E Premium basically at MSRP (or a bit less with Options incentives) or a Premium Plus etron with around a $10,000+ Audi discount, which made the etron not hugely more expensive.

I don't think those types of discounts exist any more for the etron.

Anyway, point being, even at MSRP, the etron has also functionally seen a price increase over the last year because Audi used to offer big discounts to move them off dealer lots. But clearly, things changed.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Theoretically that is true, but I have not seen any data that demonstrates how much better the range is at various temperatures. Heat pumps don't work well in very cold temperatures, and often need a resistance heater anyway to actually provide warm air in the cabin.

Would you rather have a warm cabin or longer cold weather range? So instead of complaints about cold weather range, people will complain about being cold in their car. Which people have complained about in this forum anyway. It would be worse with a heat pump.

The point is batteries do not work well when cold with current battery technology. Making it a con for the MME is not appropriate IMO. It is a BEV con.
Serious? There are literally a bunch of them. One was even posted here.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ro-awd-and-ioniq-5-sel-awd.15155/#post-362773

The Norwegian winter race also showed how poorly EVs without a heat pump perform.

https://www.ioniqforum.com/threads/...st-3-different-ioniq-5-models-28-other.39550/

Heck Model 3 with a heat pump is pretty significant to without. About 110+ km.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/range-test-88-ev-cars-summer-and-winter-in-norway.9802/

https://electrek.co/2020/12/03/tesla-model-3-heat-pump-comparison-results/

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Serious? There are literally a bunch of them. One was even posted here.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ro-awd-and-ioniq-5-sel-awd.15155/#post-362773

The Norwegian winter race also showed how poorly EVs without a heat pump perform.

https://www.ioniqforum.com/threads/...st-3-different-ioniq-5-models-28-other.39550/

Heck Model 3 with a heat pump is pretty significant to without. About 110+ km.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/range-test-88-ev-cars-summer-and-winter-in-norway.9802/

https://electrek.co/2020/12/03/tesla-model-3-heat-pump-comparison-results/
Thanks for the links. Agree the heat pump makes a difference. What about how the heat works at 3 degrees F? I don't think I saw anything about that, but could have missed it.

OP
OP

Thunderbirdsoundsbetter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME P ER
Country flag
Are you referring to the GOM or real range? As discussed many times in this forum, and as you probably know, it can be very conservative and report a range that is lower than what you can actually achieve.

That said, cold weather impacts all BEVs, Teslas included. I don't think any BEV has solved that problem yet. The impact to the MME is similar to the impact to other BEVs. Therefore it isn't a con for the MME, IMO.
Real range. The gom wasn’t that far off from what the real range was to me at least.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Real range. The gom wasn’t that far off from what the real range was to me at least.
I have found the GOM in my car to be pretty accurate also. Good for Ford but it hurts perception.

OP
OP

Thunderbirdsoundsbetter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME P ER
Country flag
Audi used to offer incredible discounts on the etron. Right when Ford started delivering Mach-Es in Q1 2021, some discussion on here about whether people should buy a Mach-E Premium basically at MSRP (or a bit less with Options incentives) or a Premium Plus etron with around a $10,000+ Audi discount, which made the etron not hugely more expensive.

I don't think those types of discounts exist any more for the etron.

Anyway, point being, even at MSRP, the etron has also functionally seen a price increase over the last year because Audi used to offer big discounts to move them off dealer lots. But clearly, things changed.
Yeah I remember the 2019 etron they couldn’t give away. Now nothing but markups.

Reactions: ARK

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
@Thunderbirdsoundsbetter Where did you sell to, and if you don't mind how much they give? I am looking to sell later this month. Purchased 3/5/21. Kind of funny I just got the series of OTAs, with BlueCruise enabled earlier this week. Still need to get out on the highway to at least experience that a few times.

OP
OP

Thunderbirdsoundsbetter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME P ER
Country flag
@Thunderbirdsoundsbetter Where did you sell to, and if you don't mind how much they give? I am looking to sell later this month. Purchased 3/5/21. Kind of funny I just got the series of OTAs, with BlueCruise enabled earlier this week. Still need to get out on the highway to at least experience that a few times.
I sold it to vroom. I got 49.5k for it which I thought was fair given the mileage.

Reactions: Nav

Sneezy

First Name
Sneezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Trans Am Firehawk, 21 Mach E Premium EXT.
Occupation
NRA Rifle Instructor
Country flag
If you push and hold the door button for 1 second it works every time. If you tap it quick, it does not.

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
I never really had the steering problems you mentioned. And I put it through some rough stuff - NYC stop and go traffic, aggressive lane changes, sharp left hand turns, etc. Not going to handle like a Lotus or something, but the steering is as good as about any SUV I've ever driven.

Also, 37k is a lot of miles in one year!

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
Interesting, I have my con list but its intersection with yours is empty. I think you just got a defective car.
I hate to say it, but I kind of agree. My range dropped in winter, sure... but even at 20F I'd still get about 200 miles on a 100% charge. Thought it was pretty reasonable and in line with basically every EV out there.

OP
OP

Thunderbirdsoundsbetter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME P ER
Country flag
I hate to say it, but I kind of agree. My range dropped in winter, sure... but even at 20F I'd still get about 200 miles on a 100% charge. Thought it was pretty reasonable and in line with basically every EV out there.
It went from 340ish in the summer to 160-180 in the winter 10-30 degrees. That’s one hell of a drop. I don’t know any other evs that drop that much. Current weather now I’m getting about 240ish. With a extended battery.
Sponsored