Ravensfan1996

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
That likely explains it for me. With our 100+ degree days in Houston I could see the charger being on the struggle bus and overheating. I've got a JuiceBox on order because I need consistent home charging.
I dont think thats it since i had mine all last summer and it never happened, then this year along with lots of other people it just started with the yellow/blue lights after about 30mins of charging. Its faulty IMO and not a true overheating fault. It does it no matter the temp, even cool at night.
Sponsored

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
Wiring has been double-checked by a licensed electrician.
Ahh...I was going to ask if you'd reset the breaker. Mine did that months ago and after a breaker reset it stopped.

Mike

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I dont think thats it since i had mine all last summer and it never happened, then this year along with lots of other people it just started with the yellow/blue lights after about 30mins of charging. Its faulty IMO and not a true overheating fault. It does it no matter the temp, even cool at night.
My supplied portable charger generally has no problems charging the MME. It will do the occasional amber first chicklet thing as it gets toward 80%. On my Lightning it clearly struggles to push electrons into that battery. It's routinely cycling back and forth between full blue and one chicklet of amber the whole time it's charging. I looked up the color code and it seems this is normal behavior. When my charger isn't being used it's a steady blue. Honestly, I don't think anything's wrong with it at all.

Are you seeing where it's taking like a ridiculously long time to charge compared to what you remember from last year?

Mike

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
My supplied portable charger generally has no problems charging the MME. It will do the occasional amber first chicklet thing as it gets toward 80%. On my Lightning it clearly struggles to push electrons into that battery. It's routinely cycling back and forth between full blue and one chicklet of amber the whole time it's charging. I looked up the color code and it seems this is normal behavior. When my charger isn't being used it's a steady blue. Honestly, I don't think anything's wrong with it at all.

Are you seeing where it's taking like a ridiculously long time to charge compared to what you remember from last year?

Mike
I believe when the yellow light is on the charging rate is throttled and slows down significantly. That is what mine does. And mine only does it when the garage is warm. 85 degrees or more.

OP
OP
AZMMESTAR

AZMMESTAR

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Premium Star White FWD ER
Country flag
YES, the problem is the decreased charge rate!

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
YES, the problem is the decreased charge rate!
Ahh okay. We’re on the same page then. You probably want something like a Grizzl-e then instead of the portable charger.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram, 2013 Dart, waiting in 2022 Mach E GT
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
Just started getting amber light. Only had the car 5 days. Using 120V plug. Tried unplugging/uncoupling plug multiple times. No change. Not even hot today, 73°. Not a good sign Ford.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just started getting amber light. Only had the car 5 days. Using 120V plug. Tried unplugging/uncoupling plug multiple times. No change. Not even hot today, 73°. Not a good sign Ford.
The 120V pigtail connector might be loose. Try removing it and reseating it tightly. It has happened to a lot of people in the past, so maybe this is your issue.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
The 120V pigtail connector might be loose. Try removing it and reseating it tightly. It has happened to a lot of people in the past, so maybe this is your issue.
Done that multiple times. No change. Flashes red, then blue, then solid amber.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Done that multiple times. No change. Flashes red, then blue, then solid amber.
You could have a defective EVSE. Mine has always charged reliability on 120V regardless of the ambient temperature. 240V is a different matter...

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
I am 99.32% sure it is the EVSE (charger), and it is normal operation, unfortunately. There are a few more threads on the forum about this, but basically the EVSA overheats when ambient temperatures rise above comfortable room temperature. I just think the EVSE is a bad design. Mine does it.

You can get it to work properly by cooling the EVSE. I put mine on an extension cord and put the EVSE body inside the cooled house, instead of the hot garage, and the yellow light went out and the car charged normally. You could buy a cooler and stick it in there with some ice. Sounds stupid, but it should work.

I recommend buying another charger. Personally I purchased the Grizzl-E and put it in my frunk for when I need to do 240V charging on the road. I have a direct wired charger at my home.

The Ford EVSE works fine on 120V even when hot. It is just the 240V charging that causes it to overheat.

I am constantly cooling mine and amber light is on sometimes even when it's cold.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
Had my 240V outlet installed today and the mobile charger worked fine. Just an issue with 120V. Largely irrelevant now as I also installed my JuiceBox 40.

monkete

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Edge SEL, 2018 Nissan TItan 4x4
Country flag
My 240v charger used to charge at 6kw/hour, now only does 3kw/hour (this started happening last week) Do you think it's the charger and the dealership would give me a new one if I report it?
Thanks!

Screenshot_20220707-143123_FordPass.jpg

Screenshot_20220707-143136_FordPass.jpg

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My 240v charger used to charge at 6kw/hour, now only does 3kw/hour (this started happening last week) Do you think it's the charger and the dealership would give me a new one if I report it?
Thanks!
Is it overheating like described in previous posts in this thread?
Sponsored