Solved the Phone Charging issue

Sureshot125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X Premium
Country flag
NOt sure f this was happenign to you but my phone would charge and then 30 seconds later stop. I do product design and own a number of 3d printers so I figured I can solve this and I did. I 3D printed this possitioning insert and now the charging works everytime all the time. This was built for an Apple Iphone 12 Pro with a magsafe case around it. It is currently printed out in PLA but I am going to print it out in ABS or polycarbonate so it can stand up to heat. PLA will deform. Anyway thought I would let people know this solves it.

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG
Mannn no one wants to try my magnet ring MagSafe conversion trick

OP
OP
Dafstang

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium E AWD/ / 2017 Mercedes GLE-43
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
Did I miss a sale on 3D printers? Seems like an inordinate amount of people in this forum have them.
I do product design and I own a number of porfessional 3D printers, it is hard to think of doing product design without them.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
Nice work, but my experience has been that it's not a matter of alignment so much as it is a matter of the thickness of the OEM mat. Qi isn't THAT fickle, but putting a 3 mm obstacle in between the charger and the phone, and then putting a case on top of that is quite a bit to work against.

Perfect alignment is helpful. BETTER though is less distance (thinner material) between the charger and the receiver in the phone.

I used a black silicone mat that's about 1 mm thick. You could use a kitchen drawer contact sheet also. The key thing is that you want something tacky so that the phone stays put when the car moves.

Valkyrja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GTPE, Star White
Occupation
I hack things
Country flag
If you are patient, you might be able to find an ender3 for less than $200. It's a pretty capable starter printer, and it is open source with a ton of upgrades available.
I have an Ender 3 in my print farm and it is pretty awesome. I use the CR10 for just about everything but if I have a large project going on that, I will print smaller and multi parts on it. Nice, small, and amazingly consistent.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I'm going to be using some of these to stick on the underside of the rubber mat. Will update once I get them and try it out.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Call me stupid, but I don’t understand the problem that is being solved here? I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max in the Apple Clear Case with MagSafe. The phone fits on the charging pad pretty snuggly (a bit of wiggle, but not TOO much) and I’ve never had issues with charging. The back of the phone does get very warm after it’s been on the pad for an extended period of time. I assume this is either due to the nature of inductive charging or the usual “battery gets warm during use”.

OP
OP
Dafstang

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium E AWD/ / 2017 Mercedes GLE-43
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
Call me stupid, but I don’t understand the problem that is being solved here? I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max in the Apple Clear Case with MagSafe. The phone fits on the charging pad pretty snuggly (a bit of wiggle, but not TOO much) and I’ve never had issues with charging. The back of the phone does get very warm after it’s been on the pad for an extended period of time. I assume this is either due to the nature of inductive charging or the usual “battery gets warm during use”.
My phone is the iphone 12Pro (not max). I know the Pro max fits perfectly in the cradle, mine rides around and looses the charge all the time, not with this insert.

KennyCaphill

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Edition AWD Standard Range
Occupation
Insurance
Country flag
Wow! That's pretty freaking brilliant!

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
My phone is the iphone 12Pro (not max). I know the Pro max fits perfectly in the cradle, mine rides around and looses the charge all the time, not with this insert.
Yup - same here. Holds a charge for a couple min and then goes away. Hoping this solves it (as it looks to align the phone to the sweet spot for charging).
Sponsored