Solved the Phone Charging issue

buddha34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium XR AWD
Country flag
Since seeing this posted, I have been placing my phone in the approximate position the 3D printed template would hold it (roughly centered, instead of up against either the side or the little sticky-outty part on the left, which was where I instinctively had been putting it). I haven't had it drop out at all since doing this. It is annoying to have to think about but works.
Sponsored

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Found a place online and received it today. A snug fit and haven’t had a chance to drive with it yet so TBD if it stays charged. Gonna play around to see how it compares vs the MagSafe hack I did on the right.

Thanks for doing this!

D8D3806D-7B5A-4948-B039-142BDEA715B8.jpeg

buddha34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium XR AWD
Country flag
Found a place online and received it today. A snug fit and haven’t had a chance to drive with it yet so TBD if it stays charged. Gonna play around to see how it compares vs the MagSafe hack I did on the right.

Thanks for doing this!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Solved the Phone Charging issue D8D3806D-7B5A-4948-B039-142BDEA715B8
Would you mind sharing where you ordered, and material/color? Looks great, and looks like a good match.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Hardly definitive, but my iPhone 12 Pro Max charges perfectly in the car with a hard clear case. A bit more evidence that the sliding is a primary culprit.

Solution: the magnet or framework hold it. Or the probably best solution? Buy the larger phone. ;)

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Has this solution been working for you?
When ordering through Craftcloud, it asks for file unit size, mm, cm or in... which is the correct selection?
I opened the .stl file from the zip and it stated mm as the units.

krazieboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
it makes me wonder, if the car charger is a single coil or multiple.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
So @methorian, did the magnetic stickers work?
Not really. I applied one of the stickers to the back of the pad and they aren't really strong enough to "grab" on to the phone (so it's difficult to get alignment correct when sitting the phone down). I could add another ring of magnetics on top of the first to maybe get a better hold, but I decided against that route since the built-in charger is still just too slow for my liking (and adding more magnets/distance to the coils it'd probably get slower).

For now I'm continuing to use an aftermarket magsafe charger connected to the USB-C port up there. It charges much faster (though not as fast as it could since the USB-C port there is limited to 15W) and is easier to use.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Not really. I applied one of the stickers to the back of the pad and they aren't really strong enough to "grab" on to the phone (so it's difficult to get alignment correct when sitting the phone down). I could add another ring of magnetics on top of the first to maybe get a better hold, but I decided against that route since the built-in charger is still just too slow for my liking (and adding more magnets/distance to the coils it'd probably get slower).

For now I'm continuing to use an aftermarket magsafe charger connected to the USB-C port up there. It charges much faster (though not as fast as it could since the USB-C port there is limited to 15W) and is easier to use.
Great, thanks.

cmsmith1977

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Grey GT
Country flag
NOt sure f this was happenign to you but my phone would charge and then 30 seconds later stop. I do product design and own a number of 3d printers so I figured I can solve this and I did. I 3D printed this possitioning insert and now the charging works everytime all the time. This was built for an Apple Iphone 12 Pro with a magsafe case around it. It is currently printed out in PLA but I am going to print it out in ABS or polycarbonate so it can stand up to heat. PLA will deform. Anyway thought I would let people know this solves it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Solved the Phone Charging issue D8D3806D-7B5A-4948-B039-142BDEA715B8
Thank you SOO much for this - such an elegant solution to this problem. Worked great for me!

cravacor

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME
Country flag
I have an S21 Ultra and in its slim Spigen case it is too big for the charging pad area and when plugged in the cord is being stressed by resting on the edge of the tray.
Sponsored