Specific Charging Question (Mach-E and Tesla)

malthusunc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E, 2017 EcoBoost Convertible
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
Country flag
Hello - For those who own both a Tesla and a Mach-E, I am looking for some advice. We bought a cabin in the NC mountains we are going to turn into a vacation rental in the spring. It looks like there is a 220 outlet on the outside of the house (I think the previous owners may have had an RV). I want to add a charger so that we can charge our Mach-E while we are up there but also want to put in the listing that we are EV friendly. Since most people who would care about that will have Teslas (for now), what is the best setup for this situation? I know their charging port is different (or at least I think I know that). Get a Tesla charger and get an adapter for anyone who might have a non-Tesla? Or just get a plug-in cord (one for each style) that stays in the house that they can use?

We have a ChargePoint charger in our garage at home which works really well - but I'm assuming that connector won't work on Teslas. What do you think is the best set-up to handle Teslas and non-Teslas if we already have a 220 outlet? I just don't know much about the Tesla world. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

dbonsett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
Hello - For those who own both a Tesla and a Mach-E, I am looking for some advice. We bought a cabin in the NC mountains we are going to turn into a vacation rental in the spring. It looks like there is a 220 outlet on the outside of the house (I think the previous owners may have had an RV). I want to add a charger so that we can charge our Mach-E while we are up there but also want to put in the listing that we are EV friendly. Since most people who would care about that will have Teslas (for now), what is the best setup for this situation? I know their charging port is different (or at least I think I know that). Get a Tesla charger and get an adapter for anyone who might have a non-Tesla? Or just get a plug-in cord (one for each style) that stays in the house that they can use?

We have a ChargePoint charger in our garage at home which works really well - but I'm assuming that connector won't work on Teslas. What do you think is the best set-up to handle Teslas and non-Teslas if we already have a 220 outlet? I just don't know much about the Tesla world. Thanks in advance.
Have a 14-50 pLug at as many amps as possible. They can bring the charger and adapters with them if notified.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I would install the EVSE that you want to use for your car. Advertise that you have a J1772 that can be used by a Tesla with an adapter.
If you wanted to be really accommodating, you could provide the adapter.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Agree with above.
A J1772 connector will appeal to all EV drivers.... including Tesla.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
As an additional piece of info for OP, all Teslas are sold with an adapter for them to use non-Tesla L2 chargers (the J1772 plug or J-plug).

So any Tesla owner would already own the adapter to use something like a ChargePoint Home Flex, they would just need to remember to bring that small adapter with them (or you could keep one in the cabin, might get ‘lost’, but it’s only $50).

On the other side of things, most Mach-E or other non-Tesla EV owners haven’t purchased something like a TeslaTap and therefore most can’t use a Tesla charger as easily.

OP
OP
malthusunc

malthusunc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
Country flag
Thanks to everyone. I think I understand it better now. I kept seeing people mention buying an adapter to use Tesla chargers. So I thought since there were more of them, I should set it up for Teslas. I see now. I should check the outlet and amps in the breaker box to make sure it is sufficient, get a charger that I am used to, and either buy an adapter to keep at the house or mention in the listing that they need to bring theirs (or both).

For bonus points, I see the ChargePoint is on backorder. If you know that your setup is going to be outside, is there a brand that is better suited for outside use - or are all the charger brands similarly equipped to be outside? Thanks again.

Reactions: ARK

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
JuiceBox 40 is in stock. You can assign guest codes.

Bill S

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Prem ER eAWD, 18 Tesla M3, 64 Falcon Sprint
Country flag
We have had an M3 for 3 years and are adding an MME in a few weeks. We also had a home in NC mountains. We installed a 14-50 (50 amp) and used our travel charger. We just booked a vacation up there for this year and only expect a 14-50 and will use our travel charger. It is becoming much more common to find EV charging access than in past. But a good outdoor EVSE is the Pulsar Plus Wallbox 40. Goes on 50 amp service line. See videos by Tom Moloughney for details on all EVSEs.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Lexus IS300 autox/track car.
Country flag
Hello - For those who own both a Tesla and a Mach-E, I am looking for some advice. We bought a cabin in the NC mountains we are going to turn into a vacation rental in the spring.
Since it is incredibly difficult to find rentals with EV charging capability, please give us a link when you're ready to go. ;) Perhaps one day the vacation rental sites will all get on board to allow filtering for a charger or 220v plug.

OP
OP
malthusunc

malthusunc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
Country flag
Since it is incredibly difficult to find rentals with EV charging capability, please give us a link when you're ready to go. ;) Perhaps one day the vacation rental sites will all get on board to allow filtering for a charger or 220v plug.
Absolutely!! ?