Stereo different in Select vs Premium trims?

ponygurl29

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
Country flag
Is the stereo different in the select vs premium? How does it sound in select? What brand is it?
Sponsored

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
After test driving both selects and premiums I like the B&O system in the Premium much better.
That doesn't mean the selects system isn't good, I just tend to enjoy my music while driving and the added sub woofer and additional speakers in the Premium made a big difference to me.
Now if your a podcast listener or audiobook listener then the selects system will be more than good enough for you.
Also note that the upgrade to a Premium also bring better headlights as well as a few other "luxury" items that I personally could have done without but am glad they are there.

Tony

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
CA Route 1 has the same radio as the Selects...e.g. no B&O system.

I rarely listen to anything so it didn't make a difference to me.

ReelSweet

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Stereo in the Select is good. Other two vehicles in the family is a Subaru with a Harmon Kardon and Jeep Grand Cherokee with not sure what brand.... and to my ears the MME Select stereo is similar.

Not sure in your area, but around me there are Selects at the dealer to go test drive and ensure you like it....and of course test the radio.

OP
OP
ponygurl29

ponygurl29

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
Country flag
Stereo in the Select is good. Other two vehicles in the family is a Subaru with a Harmon Kardon and Jeep Grand Cherokee with not sure what brand.... and to my ears the MME Select stereo is similar.

Not sure in your area, but around me there are Selects at the dealer to go test drive and ensure you like it....and of course test the radio.
Ty!

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I've seen people comment on how the B&O system is a little underwhelming.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Itā€™s better than GM Bose systems, better than most base stereos, but definitely not high end.

Iā€™m happy with the sound, and like every vehicle Iā€™ve owned since 1996, I will add an aftermarket sub.

Asking how good a stereo is is like asking how fast a car is. Itā€™s relative to your own experience.

My wife and I both think it sounds equal to the Sony system in her Flex limited and definitely better than the Bose in my old Chevy SS.

Although I donā€™t think itā€™s a stand alone option, I would be surprised if the upgraded stereo costs more than a few hundred. Compare that to high end systems that can cost thousands to upgrade, you shouldnā€™t have high expectations.

For a comparison, the Aviator has an awesome 28 speaker stereo.

Cost to upgrade from the 14 to 28 speakers? $10,570

Now you do get better seats and rear sunshades with the $10k, but I imagine the stereo is a huge part of the package cost.

Last edited:

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Yes it WAS underwhelming to me. But once the PAAK update was applied the B&O has become the best car stereo I've owned.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I had this in my old notes comparing Premium vs. Select + Comfort / Tech (I cared about the 360 camera only, prices maybe slightly off since these are 2021 prices):

Select + Comfort / Technology Package vs Premium differences ($1,505):
19" Alum Wheels w/ High Gloss Black
Panoramic Fixed-Glass Roof
LED Projector Headlamps with Signature Lighting
B&O 10-Speaker Sound System

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
The B&O in the MME is just OK... we had the B&O package in a Edge ST and it CRUSHED the MME B&O configuration.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Yes it WAS underwhelming to me. But once the PAAK update was applied the B&O has become the best car stereo I've owned.
The PaaK update doesn't affect the stereo. It's likely that your dealer also updated the DSP at the same time.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
The PaaK update doesn't affect the stereo. It's likely that your dealer also updated the DSP at the same time.
You would think so. When I took my car to the dealer for the PAAK update I asked them to also apply the DSP because the stereo was pathetic. When I got my car back the CS rep said that they applied the PAAK update but couldn't find a DSP for the stereo. I was bummed until I turned the stereo on and it was fixed. It appears they rolled the DSP update into the PAAK update.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
B&O in the Premium is good. Fine. Not amazing, not bad.

My Acura RDX Advance has the ELS Audio system that makes the Fordā€™s MME B&O system sound like a kid singing into a toilet paper tube, but because of that, Iā€™d say if this is a concern for you (and Iā€™m guessing it is since you asked the question), you definitely donā€™t want to go down to the model built into the Select.

The subwoofer is underwhelming in the B&O (and nonexistent, I think, in the Selects),but the midranges and highs are pretty decent. When I say this, Iā€™m not a loud music person either, so Iā€˜m noticing the weak subwoofer at comfortable listening volumesā€¦Iā€˜m not overdriving it by any means.
Sponsored