Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Jaguar XJ8, 2000 Ford F250 SD XL 4WD
Occupation
Winemaker
Country flag
Very odd just now when I started driving. As soon as I started I got a thumping sound each time my wheel went 1 revolution. I went about 100 feet and it was still there just not as loud. Thought it might be an emergency brake so I toggled it on/off but still happening. Doing it forward and back.

Parked the car back in my spot and got a flashlight. Could not find anything
Sponsored

OP
OP

dww

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Winemaker
Country flag
Thanks....
Maybe, had mine for about 15 months now and never heard anything like this before. Don't drive much as we only have 5K miles on the tires. Will probably take it in this next week for them to look at it....

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I think you might want to check for a road hazard embedded in one of the tires.

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
It could be a tire, also may be where the brake pad left some material on the rotor. Seems to be an issue with this car on here.

NoMoPetrol

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013Tesla Model S, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you don't drive much, the one of the tires could be slightly out of round from sitting in one spot for an extended period of time,.

OP
OP

dww

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Winemaker
Country flag
Thanks for everyones help so far. I felt all around the tires and they seemed OK and didn't see anything. Tires are not losing any pressure. I even tried turning off the backup sensor setting and that didn't do any good. Right now think it might be a rotor perhaps. On a level road the thump is on every revolution. However, on a downhill the car actually seems to be braking on every revolution...so you get a jerking situation. Now I'm thinking I may have the car towed, just have to make sure AAA knows how to do that....will call my dealer Tuesday morning.

dethbunny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue GTPE, 2023 Dark Matter Gray P4X
Occupation
Build Imagineer
Country flag
When it was rainy here for a few days in a row, our car built up a bit of corrosion that froze the brake pads in place. it took a bit of “oomf” to get the car moving from park, and it made noise like you’re describing when moving. Braking hard a couple times cleared it up, and it’s not caused a lasting problem for the ~9 dry months since that happened.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Thanks for everyones help so far. I felt all around the tires and they seemed OK and didn't see anything. Tires are not losing any pressure. I even tried turning off the backup sensor setting and that didn't do any good. Right now think it might be a rotor perhaps. On a level road the thump is on every revolution. However, on a downhill the car actually seems to be braking on every revolution...so you get a jerking situation. Now I'm thinking I may have the car towed, just have to make sure AAA knows how to do that....will call my dealer Tuesday morning.
Yeah that sounds like the pad and rotor problem.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Very odd just now when I started driving. As soon as I started I got a thumping sound each time my wheel went 1 revolution. I went about 100 feet and it was still there just not as loud. Thought it might be an emergency brake so I toggled it on/off but still happening. Doing it forward and back.

Parked the car back in my spot and got a flashlight. Could not find anything
Good morning! If you send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info, I can look into your concerns on my end.

OP
OP

dww

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Winemaker
Country flag
OK...after calling my local dealership who didn't have anyone to speak with and just said tow it in, and the earliest schedule maintenance would be in Oct. I just drove to 20/25mph and then braked fairly hard and repeated 6-7 times and it seems to have gone away. I'm a little alarmed that it just started out of nowhere as I drive it almost everyday, just now very far.

Only thing I can think of is....it rained and I was backing up fast toward a big rock and even though I was aways away, the car braked. Then I didn't backup until I parked in our condo garage.

Will monitor for the next few weeks....and thanks for everyones help.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
OK...after calling my local dealership who didn't have anyone to speak with and just said tow it in, and the earliest schedule maintenance would be in Oct. I just drove to 20/25mph and then braked fairly hard and repeated 6-7 times and it seems to have gone away. I'm a little alarmed that it just started out of nowhere as I drive it almost everyday, just now very far.

Only thing I can think of is....it rained and I was backing up fast toward a big rock and even though I was aways away, the car braked. Then I didn't backup until I parked in our condo garage.

Will monitor for the next few weeks....and thanks for everyones help.
If your build date is prior to January 6, 2022, your car likely qualifies for the stuck brake pad TSB.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10209201-0001.pdf

OP
OP

dww

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Winemaker
Country flag
Thanks so much for the recall information. My build week was 1/3/22 so it looks like I qualify. Not that I want a recall, but perhaps I would get the pads/rotors to be new again if for some reason they are wearing quickly.

I'll call the dealership in the morning to confirm I'm under the recall and get it scheduled

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Thanks so much for the recall information. My build week was 1/3/22 so it looks like I qualify. Not that I want a recall, but perhaps I would get the pads/rotors to be new again if for some reason they are wearing quickly.

I'll call the dealership in the morning to confirm I'm under the recall and get it scheduled
Tell them that your brake pads are sticking to the rotors and give them the TSB number. They replaced all 4 of mine.

OP
OP

dww

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Winemaker
Country flag
FYI...they are replacing my rear brake pads and cleaned my rotors. They inspected the fronts and are leaving them alone.

I had mentioned (and I have posted in the forum) that I had a high pitched whining that starts at 29 and ends at 32 mph. They had it up on the rack and ran it and said it was very loud so they are replacing my front motor! Thought they might just adjust. They have to find one, so might not get replaced this week....but I have been driving with the whine for over a year, so another few weeks is OK if they have to order one.

Updating some software on the emergency brake that apparently didn't come via OTA.

Hope it all come out well....but so far am happy with the service here in Vancouver!
Sponsored