Strange PAAK Behavior

WPJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX
Country flag
My Paak was working very smoothly for several weeks, and recently its been behaving strangely.

It is no longer automatically opening the car when I approach. I need to open the app when I get to the car and then it will open. But then, sometimes it will allow me to start the car and drive, and other times it tells me "key not detected" and I need to enter my code in the car.

Sometimes it allows me to start the car without the code and drive, but then if I park the car (but leave it on), walk away for a minute and come back, it tells me again "key not detected" and makes me enter the code.

Its a little all over the place and I am not sure why its working this way and how to get it working properly and smoothly again?
Sponsored

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Any recent phone updates?
iPhone or Android?

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Put the fob back in your jacket.
Recently I put a wrong fob in my pocket and noticed it a few days later when MME complained about "key not found" when I shot it down - I really thought it can't detect the fob in the pocket of my parka.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
My Paak was working very smoothly for several weeks, and recently its been behaving strangely.

It is no longer automatically opening the car when I approach. I need to open the app when I get to the car and then it will open. But then, sometimes it will allow me to start the car and drive, and other times it tells me "key not detected" and I need to enter my code in the car.

Sometimes it allows me to start the car without the code and drive, but then if I park the car (but leave it on), walk away for a minute and come back, it tells me again "key not detected" and makes me enter the code.

Its a little all over the place and I am not sure why its working this way and how to get it working properly and smoothly again?
PaaK works great for me for a few weeks then starts screwing up. I found a tip in an old thread that fixes it, at least for a few more weeks. Force close ford pass and turn off blue tooth on phone. Go into vehicle connectivity settings and turn off all connectivity. Turn off the car and open door. Then go in and turn on connectivity again in car settings, and make sure to turn on all of the vehicle settings under connectivity. They don’t automatically turn on again. Turn back on Bluetooth on your phone and open FordPass and it should work like new again.

I am doing this with an iPhone but It seems like it will work for android in principle.. let me know, I’m curious. It is basically turning the power off and back on.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Don’t forget, while patting your head and rubbing your tummy, click your heals three times and say “There’s no place like Cuautitlàn.”

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Don’t forget, while patting your head and rubbing your tummy, click your heals three times and say “There’s no place like Cuautitlàn.”
LMFAO!

Polar

First Name
SBJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select RWD SR
Country flag
Android.
I don't think there was any update before this started happening...
Rebooted your phone recently?

anecdotal -
I have two dash cams in my car and I can watch Bluetooth connect to those (drop MachE during handshake as they come up) then fully reconnect to the MachE - so Bluetooth is a bit shaky at times with a lot of devices on the radio. Below is my regular Bluetooth connections - sometimes add the AirPods if I’m on a zoom in the car.

I’ll start the car - just fine - see need key pop up as Bluetooth handshakes happen, then all settles down.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Strange PAAK Behavior B937DC41-60FE-4B5D-BBBC-0377E22BF777

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

Your experience is very common. As far as I know there isn't a simple solution. There are threads about how to reinstall software in the car, or on the phone or both. Then a bunch of settings that need to be set a certain way and several tips and tricks. If you are very determined and don't mind a little trial and error then you might be able to get it to function like you hope.

I have far less free time so I prefer to carry the fob.

I did get some tips that Ford sent to my phone. Not sure why, maybe FordPass was tired of displaying the "Phone as a Key unable to connect" message.?

Screenshot_20211225-153735_FordPass.jpg

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag

Hi there! Can you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership? I can take a look at things on my end.

OP
OP

WPJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX
Country flag
Yes did restart

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I have far less free time so I prefer to carry the fob.
And this is the best answer if you want to avoid frustration. Someday Ford will get Paak worked out, but that day isn't going to be anytime soon. You can continue to fight a losing battle or move on.

PonyJuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium Trim, Extended Range
Country flag
My PAAK has been working pretty well… I make sure and have app open etc.

However, today I remote started from my phone (first time using that feature) and my PAAK went haywire… the car wouldn’t find the PAAK anymore. I rebooted phone, force closed app, toggled on/off Bluetooth— still nothing. I had to use my password to start and even when I arrived home, the PAAK was still not connected/located.

I just hate that this feels so beta with a legacy automotive company… and on such a pricey vehicle… and I know, I can keep a fob in my pocket, but why even tout PAAK as a feature if it isn’t stable?
Sponsored