TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
I surprised - I dont see anything like what is shown above in the dashboard - I get an error message on the dashboard page - I see the MME in the garage as a Ford Edge so what ever is shown is Sync 3 etc. No connected services although I can find connected services in vehicle details but even that errors out when clicked.
Curious. I believe @hybrid2bev also has similar problems, but I'll let him confirm / deny. Perhaps there is a pattern for vehicles built before a certain date?
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Noted. While we’re offering suggestions: try acting like less of a jerk. It’s a consistent pattern with your posts. This forum should be a place for *friendly* discussion. And while I realize this is slightly off-topic, I suspect the reason some people behave like jerks is that not enough people call them out for it.
Noted.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Noted. While we’re offering suggestions: try acting like less of a jerk. It’s a consistent pattern with your posts. This forum should be a place for *friendly* discussion. And while I realize this is slightly off-topic, I suspect the reason some people behave like jerks is that not enough people call them out for it.
OK, so let me try to be less of a Jerk:

@hybrid2bev was offering to pass along helpful suggestions and concerns to friends of his that are developers at Ford. This is consistent with him; he often goes out of his way to be helpful and give valuable insights and information to the forum. He isn't a senior exec, so what he can do and say is limited to his role at Ford. Unfortunately, that often results in people dumping on him like he's personally responsible for everything "dumb thing" Ford does and says. He often also runs into people who argue with him just for the sake of arguing, again putting him in the position of having to defend decisions that he personally had nothing to do with. The same sentiment goes for @trutolife27 - he has done a great deal for this forum.

I really hope they don't get tired of being treated like Ford's complaint department and stop posting here on the forum.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

@hybrid2bev was offering to pass along helpful suggestions and concerns to friends of his that are developers at Ford. This is consistent with him; he often goes out of his way to be helpful and give valuable insights and information to the forum. He isn't a senior exec, so what he can do and say is limited to his role at Ford. Unfortunately, that often results in people dumping on him like he's personally responsible for everything "dumb thing" Ford does and says. He often also runs into people who argue with him just for the sake of arguing, again putting him in the position of having to defend decisions that he personally had nothing to do with. The same sentiment goes for @trutolife27 - he has done a great deal for this forum.

I really hope they don't get tired of being treated like Ford's complaint department and stop posting here on the forum.
That also applies to the other Ford "insiders" around here as well.

I've often noticed that the people who start said "arguments" are typically new on the forums and thus don't realize with whom they are arguing with (there was one that was rather amusing when the reply was "oh next time I'm in the Ford meeting on that subject I'll have to bring up your stupid point"--yeah paraphrasing here LOL).

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
There needs to be Siri/Homepod/Homekit functionality. I don't trust Alexa and Google listening to everything I say.
There is FordPass support in HomeAssistant, which you could then forward on to HomeKit via HomeAssistant, if you're the DIY home automation type.

TheStig

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GB Mach-E FE, 2023 Porsche GT4
Country flag
There is FordPass support in HomeAssistant, which you could then forward on to HomeKit via HomeAssistant, if you're the DIY home automation type.
I am a DIYer and run homebridge, but I'd vastly prefer 1st party support.

OP
OP
hybrid2bev

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag

Thanks.

I try to keep my opinions to a minimum. But I don't mind the complaints. We need constructive feedback to help make our products better. I know that Ford is monitoring social media and the forums so please do speak up if you have a concern, I agree that we need to keep it constructive though. Reach out on Twitter and what ever other social media sites etc. (This site is as close to social media as I do so I'm not up on all that stuff.)

It's pretty hard to hurt my feelings. I used to work in auto collections at Chrysler Financial back in the 90's. I've had plenty of uncomfortable conversations and ordered vehicles to be repossessed. If I wasn't getting sworn at by a customer at least once per day then I was not doing my job.

OP
OP
hybrid2bev

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag

I've often noticed that the people who start said "arguments" are typically new on the forums and thus don't realize with whom they are arguing with (there was one that was rather amusing when the reply was "oh next time I'm in the Ford meeting on that subject I'll have to bring up your stupid point"--yeah paraphrasing here LOL).
I hope that wasn't me. LOL. ? But it probably was.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I am a DIYer and run homebridge, but I'd vastly prefer 1st party support.
I’m not a DIYer and live in the apple ecosystem because “it just works” (snicker) and I have zero trust in google and Alexa. For close to $60K, Ford can figure out how to get their car to work with HomeKit. Heck, a light switch manufacturer was able to figure it out for a product that retails for < $50.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag

I hope that the moderators (or someone) is offering “constructive criticism” to these offenders via DM. I’ve found that the worst offenders often are totally oblivious.

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium EB-RWD (Built: Feb 2021)
Country flag
I don't have my Mach-E in my possession yet, but there are some things I already want to point out.

My primary devices:
iPhone 11 Pro, Apple Watch 5, MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), Apple TV HD.

Links to outside services should be links, not non-copiable text.
There's a few places like Managed Connected Services where a link is shown, but one can't select to copy the text, or the more preferred actual link.

I get not wanting to develop connected services in-app as that changes a lot. But you should at least function as a link to launch the user's default web browser (usually Safari, but whatever the OS handles https:// links). You could also in-app browser, but I understand a full kick to a browser app in this case.

If connected services doesn't support mobile browsers, contact that team and file the bug. Go ahead and link in the App; Handoff will allow deep linking on (Mac) desktops.

Find ways to enable functionality beyond in-app.
A broad philosophy I have with car related functionality in general. Find every way that the FordPass app can stay out of the way (beyond setup functions). You will benefit with great performance boosts and supporting new Apple family of devices on the day of release without having to do anything extra.

I'll list specifics, but they are one of many examples of the above philosophy.

* SiriKit -> Shortcuts Support
SiriKit at first blush making various intents (actions) that your app does when you talk to Siri. You can also add these same intents for Shortcuts. This opens the avenue for users to trigger intents in whatever way that the customer wants.

Let me say "Siri, I'm about to dive." Then the intents will pre-condition the car, turn on the outside lights (when it's dark out), and start energy saving mode on my thermostat. If I speak it to my phone or watch, it still happens.

And all the FordPass dev team needed to do was put in Shortcuts intents. I the user customized from there.

* HomeKit
While SiriKit can get you there partway, treating a car like the device it is and use the MFi Program Ford is already enrolled in for CarPlay. Let HomeKit can communicate directly without needing the FordPass app to open.

Then I can do the Siri things, or control things on the Home app of either my phone, tablet, watch, desktop computer, and future devices. All without the FordPass team developing for each device individually.

* Car Keys
I know this extends beyond the App itself as it requires hardware on the car, but advocate for this system.

"Apple Car Keys" is just a marking name for the Car Connectivity Consortium's Digital Key specification (which Ford is a member). It's cross-platform and will also work on Andriod phones that support NFC and/or UWB.

Enabling this system and working with Apple AND Android, we as users can better manage digital keys using the operating systems. Setup is in FordPass, but further management is handled without having to open the app.

I know this means the car itself has to support the feature. If the team is vocal at the benifits of the system, hopefully this becomes a priority and dispels the misconception

PeeCee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Red Mustang MachE
Country flag
Here are the issues I have with FordPass with my MME that I picked up yesterday:

1. Cannot use my Android as Phone as Key. My phone keeps saying it's trying to connect to the car. My Cell reception is poor in my neighborhood, so I made sure I setup my WiFi on the MME, hoping it would improve the connection, but nothing. - Would be nice if FordPass could connect on the local network if Cell signal is bad, or if I had a way to say : Privilege WiFi Connections over Cell.

2. My phone can connect to the MME with Bluetooth (it can play music and such), but when I open FordPass, all the options for Bluetooh (lower windows for example) states that Bluetooth is disconnected. Yet, when I go on my Phone'S Bluetooth settings it says it's connected to the car and music is playing from my phone via Bluetooth.

3. I have LOTS of issues under Manage EV. I was able to setup some time managements yesterday when I got home, but since then, everytime I go in that section, I have a message that says FordPass has stopped working (it's not an Android Message, it's a message within the app) and I cannot do anything in that menu anymore, it's been over 12 hours.

4. When I was able to Manage my EV and set times for Locations, I could not manually add a Location. It only allowed me to pick a Location where I had charged my vehicule. It wasn't intuitive, a message on the page would help users to explain that detail.

5. When I start FordPass in the MME's Tablet, it crashes after a few seconds and Sync asks me if I should start it again.

I use a Pixel 4 XL - Edited to add my phone.
Sponsored