First Name
Dero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GTPE, 2016 Shelby GT350
Occupation
researcher
I'd posted this on the Mach-E subreddit. It got likes, but nobody ever responded, so I thought I'd share it here and see what y'all think we could do:

I'm cleaning out my house for an upcoming move and getting rid of a ton of things. I've got a shitton of various carbon fibre and kevlar fabrics that IDK what to do with and dont have room for. I'm thinking of making some aero covers for my Mach-E GTPE just for the hell of it. I made a bunch of CF stuff for my GT350 and it was great, looking almost exactly like the factory CF and track packages, minus the wheels. I'm pretty good at this and have been doing it for many years, but I'm not an expert. I mostly make CF snowboards, but get bored and make whatever at times, like my phone case and stuff for my music gear (I'm a part-time freelance composer, mostly for video games).

I have done a fair bit of reading and hunting for air pressure/resistance test results for the GTPE or even basic MME, but there's a ton of debate on it and I can't get a solid answer. Some people claim the GTPE rims are already aero-quality, some don't. We do all seem to love their look, though. So that's nice.

-----------------------------------

1. Do y'all think making Tesla style aero-covers for my GTPE would help?
  2. Is there a different style aero-cover y'all think would be better, even a brand new one I'd be happy to prototype for us? (I'm *really* bored lately)
  3. Any opinions or predictions on benefits or losses? I'll happily report back with results if y'all are interested.
-------------------------------------

I thought it'd be a fun little project that our community could have input on. I'll happily upload 3D models of the result for other to make (free, of course). Maybe it'll help, maybe it won't, but it'd be fun and could potentially help us. I just like creating things and experimenting. I don't care if the end result isn't what I hoped for and I've lost some time and money. It's just fun, and educational, for that matter. It's how I deal with a shit body and collapsing society. Keeps me sane (I think).

Just some context, I'm currently getting 2.1-2.6 mi/kwh when driving it like the Mustang it is. When driving like a typical WA state slow poke, I get 3-4 mi/kwh or more. The car is an all-stock 2023 GTPE right now. At full charge, my base 261 mi range varies between 280-300 mi and I definitely get it. Heads up, anyone can get 3+ mi/kwh out of this car. The key is to keep battery draw low while accelerating and make full use of regen braking, especially on hills, making sure the friction brakes don't kick in till the last second. It's also obviously useful to minimize climate in favour of seat/wheel heaters, but that's pretty well known now. Top speed and cruising speed make far, far less of a difference than acceleration, in my experience. I haven't figured out anything "special" for better interstate mileage, unfortunately. I doubt there's much that can be done about that without reducing wind resistance, hence this little project.
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Aero-wise, the GT-PE cross-laced wheels are not very good. The reason the ‘21-‘23 GT got better EPA estimated range is because of the aero covers. That said, for my normal commute, better aero won’t make much difference due to the stop and go nature and short distance. My 9.5” wheels and 275 tires have made only a small difference in my commute. On a road trip, it would make a difference since that would he steady high speed travel. 🤷‍♂️🐩

If you have the talent and the time (and you do a reasonable amount of freeway driving), I say go for it. 😊🐩

OP
OP

verdammte

First Name
Dero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
researcher
Well, I'm good enough with CF work that Ford thought my GT350 had the carbon fibre package till the ran the VIN, so I take that as a win. I also don't have much else to do as my health hasn't been the greatest and I work remote. I'm not remotely bothered that my results won't make all that much difference in the city. Personally, I'm already getting 3-4+ mi/kwh in the city, but the highway is 2.4-2.8 mi/kwh at best and I do a fair bit of it, so it's worth it.

Do you have any particular recommendations on an aerocover style? I've found a few online and the Tesla style seems to be the most effective, but given the large number of Tesla drivers and the recent surge in Musk fanboi-ism, it's hard to tell. That's always been my fallback style.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Flat, like a pizza pan on a Porsche 962 wheel. 🤣🐩

Ford Mustang Mach-E Suggestion for building custom Aerowheel covers with Carbon Fibre IMG_0353

Or if you feel up to it, slightly convex. 🤔🐩

Ford Mustang Mach-E Suggestion for building custom Aerowheel covers with Carbon Fibre IMG_0419

OP
OP

verdammte

First Name
Dero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
researcher
I feel triggered. I've had to process too many datasets from flat-earth "content". It cost me IQ points and sanity, for which I have little left to spare. lol

Alright, input noted. I'll keep reading into it and see if I can make a mould by the end of the weekend.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I feel triggered. I've had to process too many datasets from flat-earth "content". It cost me IQ points and sanity, for which I have little left to spare. lol

Alright, input noted. I'll keep reading into it and see if I can make a mould by the end of the weekend.
I'd look towards the motorsports to see what some of the aero designs (like the post above), but without wind tunnel testing it's more guesswork. Although I would think some computer modeling could take the place of wind tunnel testing? But what do I know.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I had the same thought this year of making the aero better on my GTPE and decided to try two different things.

First I bought a set of Volvo C40 OEM 20" wheels these should have much better aero than the factory GTPE wheels.

Second I am going to try a set of 19" Rotiform wheels and Aerodisc with 255/50/19.

IMG20240420132005.jpg

AREODISC-19x8_8125.5-BLK-A1_1000_1000x.png

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
I would love an aero cover you could snap over your existing rim just before a roadtrip. Then after you get back just pop it back off. If you could get a measurable bump in efficiency those would sell like hotcakes. Anyone want to start a business?

sci_goat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2023 Rte1 Grabber Blue
Country flag
Great idea, we need some aero cover options for the MME. Speaking as someone with a lower trim, I would appreciate alternate covers too.
As a Rte-1 owner, my rims underneath are not worth showing off, so I leave the covers on, but they’re bland. I used Plasti-Dip on the covers to change the color for a nice two-tone appearance, but the problem is that when you bolt them down, the bolts pull the Dip off.

OP
OP

verdammte

First Name
Dero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
researcher
I would love an aero cover you could snap over your existing rim just before a roadtrip. Then after you get back just pop it back off. If you could get a measurable bump in efficiency those would sell like hotcakes. Anyone want to start a business?
I already have a business and this is literally the plan, lol. I'm planning to give away the STL for the file and have an inventory of units that can be shipped out, specifically for given sizes and meant to be popped on and off as desired.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
I already have a business and this is literally the plan, lol. I'm planning to give away the STL for the file and have an inventory of units that can be shipped out, specifically for given sizes and meant to be popped on and off as desired.
If you want someone to beta test some select covers and give you feedback, measure efficiency changes I am game!

So we would be able to 3D print our own?

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
Count me in for a set for our 2022 19" Premium wheels.

OP
OP

verdammte

First Name
Dero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
researcher
If you want someone to beta test some select covers and give you feedback, measure efficiency changes I am game!

So we would be able to 3D print our own?
So that's actually what my business originally was. I build and design 3D printers and CNC machines. Most of them end up stolen, "open-sourced", and/or mass produced in China, but that's that and I'm not really all that hung up on it.

We have a number of potential ways to approach this if we want to work in printers and various size rims. To use the carbon fibre appropriately, it has to be machine or hand made. We can't print layered carbon fibre yet. That would mean we'd have to break it into parts. A Carbon Fibre body that would attach to the wheel via a printable center piece, matching the bolt size and pattern for the car and a set of printable edge trim that would give us a smooth blend where the tyre and wheel meet. More parts means more breaking and less carbon fibre means more weight, but on the scale of a car, the weight difference is minimal. This isnt' a track thing, after all. I'm a decent engineer, but I'm not sure there's much of a way to make it so that we can sell/share a single carbon fibre cover and use printed components to make it fit each bolt pattern and wheel size.

So, I'm, open to ideas. I'm gonna head out in a few min to get some foam blocks to shave into a muold for the '23 GTPE 20" wheels I have (I'll make a silicone mould from that for a smooth finish in a reusable mould). I'm planning to keep them mostly flat and solid, but I'm hoping to work in some openings for better airflow over the brakes that don't ruin the benefit. I don't see why we could not also have solid options of printed plugs that snap closed to seal the gaps.

ack154

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GT PE