Sync won't reset after holding volume down and right arrow

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I'm having an issue where the main screen won't reset even after holding down the volume button + right arrow.

You see the screen go black and restart, then the graphic of that light going down to the volume knob, and then it freezes with a circle light around the volume knob and gets stuck there.

Has anyone else seen this and a work around? It seems to be blocking my charging schedule as well since it doesn't seem to read the charging time correctly. I also notice that the main screen doesn't want to turn off now (I hope this doesn't drain the 12V battery).
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
IDK, but if I were you I'd start pulling fuses or better yet the 12V terminal.

OP
OP

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Pulled and put back fuse 17, still has the same issue. Other fuses to try?

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I'm having an issue where the main screen won't reset even after holding down the volume button + right arrow.

You see the screen go black and restart, then the graphic of that light going down to the volume knob, and then it freezes with a circle light around the volume knob and gets stuck there.

Has anyone else seen this and a work around? It seems to be blocking my charging schedule as well since it doesn't seem to read the charging time correctly. I also notice that the main screen doesn't want to turn off now (I hope this doesn't drain the 12V battery).
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
My '23 GT-PE does this routinely now at startup after sitting for maybe 5-10 minutes while I'm shopping. Freeze with the streak going down to the knob and then goes black and about 45 seconds later (while backing out of the space with no camera) it finally reboots.

My '22 Lightning did it two days ago while driving.

FDRS doesn't even show any error afterward. Like it never happened.

My '21 model that I traded never did this.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
My '23 GT-PE does this routinely now at startup after sitting for maybe 5-10 minutes while I'm shopping. Freeze with the streak going down to the knob and then goes black and about 45 seconds later (while backing out of the space with no camera) it finally reboots.

My '22 Lightning did it two days ago while driving.

FDRS doesn't even show any error afterward. Like it never happened.

My 21 did this on Sunday. First time I've seen it happen.

DCTech

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e California Route 1
Country flag

I have the exact same problem, screen is now bricked, dealership gave me an appointment 15 days in the future... great when you have AC blasting (closed all vents), no backup camera to park in a tight garage. Also I noticed no power from USB ports. It did start shortly after the very last update from end of last September 2023.

DCTech

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.
I have the exact same problem, happened shortly after the last update from the end of September, AC is stuck blasting (closed all vents), Camera not working, USB port is not powered, The Dealer gave me an appointment for 15 days from now, that's a very long time with a car half working.

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag

I get this more times than I'd like '21 CA/RT I'll pop in to the store on the way home, pop out and turn it on, and nothing on the SYNC screen. The radio/USB is playing, but no display.

Sometimes I have a display, the center 'action part' is white but I can poke a few 'buttons' (switch from one of the tiles on the bottom' and it will wake up and show the screen again.

Mostly just the main action screen, not the upper/lower bits.

DCTech

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Has anybody any information about a fix and the root cause? If you do can you post it here? when I get some info I will reply here - meaning when / if they fix my car.

DCTech

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Has anybody any information about a fix and the root cause? If you do can you post it here? when I get some info I will reply here - meaning when / if they fix my car.
Just heard back from Dealer, culprit is the APIM Module, a communication device for Sync.

spicy_taco

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
Yes, there are a couple of threads around related to sync screen freezing on the boot animation, and they all pointed to a corrupted/bad APIM. I had mine replaced a few months ago due to the freezing (and lack of backup camera during that time) and haven't had freezes since.

One thing to note: after they replaced my APIM, my connected navigation services stopped working (no traffic/weather). I had to have another APIM swap for it to be resolved.

DCTech

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hello, so it took 3 weeks to get the new APMI, now it's in place the screen and usb ports are working again. Why so long to just fix/change one part?
Sponsored