Temperature of Glass Roof

ElectrifyME

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does MME have heat protection for the internal cabin of the car that turns on like Tesla?
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
The good news that in SoCal and Arizona alike where there's no humidity the temps drop like a rock when the sun goes down
When it's 115 (as it will be this weekend), it doesn't matter if there is humidity. It's still damn hot.

MME2022PX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium Extended Range
I’m in socal and put tint on my sunroof. It almost feels more hot. If I put my hand in the inside of the sunroof, it’s roasting. Does this happen with the non-tinted roof? My windshield is significantly cooler to the touch. I can also feel ambient heat on my head. Debating taking my tint off :/

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
So I don't live in one of those super sunny regions, but I can tell you that my hairless head has detected an ample amount of heat coming off the glass as I drive. I honestly have wondered if my car got skipped on the way to the IR coating room or something because it definitely has heat that radiates down. It's not hot, but I do notice it on my skin up there since I don't have a buffer of hair.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
So, it’s been uncharacteristically hot where I live. Normally it is in 60s, but the past couple of days it has been in the 90s. I got In the car and put my hand on the underside of the glass roof. Ouch, definitely very hot, but the cabin itself was okay and not excessively warm. Certainly no worse than what I have experienced with other cars with metal roofs. 5 minutes later, after the A/C had been running for a while, and the cabin had cooled down, the glass was much much much cooler.

I thought the glass roof was gonna be a concern and I might have to invest in a shade that clips to the underside. I am glad to say I was wrong. Oh so wrong.

Mosworthy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Country flag
So, I live in the AZ desert and was worried about the glass roof and heat coming through. Yes, I read all about the special IR glass etc. But its hot here like inferno hot. Today I left the gym at noon the MME external temperature said 116 (asphalt impact) actual was only 103. I took out my trusty Laser thermometer to measure the outside top of glass roof. Front to back temp varied 140 to 142. Inside the same machine read 105 from the middle of the glass and the side pillar measured 100. Now, touching the glass was a different story. It felt like a frying pan but very little heat radiation.

A measured the top of the frunk (Star White) it measured 107.
Interesting....
A laser thermometer is actually an infrared thermometer. The laser is just an aiming device.
All infrared thermometers work on a basis of reflecting energy, and not all surfaces reflect the same.
Surface and distance are a huge factor on what it displays

WNKent

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CR1 4X
Occupation
Airline
Country flag
So, I live in the AZ desert and was worried about the glass roof and heat coming through. Yes, I read all about the special IR glass etc. But its hot here like inferno hot. Today I left the gym at noon the MME external temperature said 116 (asphalt impact) actual was only 103. I took out my trusty Laser thermometer to measure the outside top of glass roof. Front to back temp varied 140 to 142. Inside the same machine read 105 from the middle of the glass and the side pillar measured 100. Now, touching the glass was a different story. It felt like a frying pan but very little heat radiation.

A measured the top of the frunk (Star White) it measured 107.
Which begs the question, did the A/C cool the cabin well?

OP
OP

1969Camaro

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium, 2018 Prius Prime, 1969 Camaro
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Which begs the question, did the A/C cool the cabin well?
Drove home today after the car sitting facing the west sky in full sun for 3 hours. It was blazing on the inside when I got in. I hit max A/C and started the drive home which is mostly freeway at 70+ MPH. After 10 minutes I started lowering the fan speed. 15 minutes very comfortable. So, I would say the A/C works great. Not too many places on the planet hotter then AZ Desert.

WNKent

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CR1 4X
Occupation
Airline
Country flag
Drove home today after the car sitting facing the west sky in full sun for 3 hours. It was blazing on the inside when I got in. I hit max A/C and started the drive home which is mostly freeway at 70+ MPH. After 10 minutes I started lowering the fan speed. 15 minutes very comfortable. So, I would say the A/C works great. Not too many places on the planet hotter then AZ Desert.
This is good to hear, from an AZ owner.
Sponsored