AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
An easy win for everybody would be for Tesla to install Magic Dock chargers at locations with spare transformer capacity. Retrofitting (according to my Tesla insider) is expensive as building new.

My Tesla insider showed me the new non-USS Vision update but I’m not still not buying another Tesla until they add a 360 camera or USS back lol.
Instead of retrofitting, I would like to think that Tesla makes a CCS to Tesla adapter that a CCS owner can buy and use at a Super Charger.
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
See, I don’t get the line of thinking where the Telsa owners feel like the Super Charger network should be exclusive. Bc the CCS DCFC is open to Telsa owners and I don’t get the general sense that CCS owners are like, ‘No CCS should be exclusive to CCS owners’.

If you want the EV market to expand, we have to move toward openness.
Honestly I was a little peeved that EVGO is giving Tesla owners free premium tier access to charge at their stations with their Autocharge+ thing and their new Tesla units.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
This is great news. The inclusion of L2 in the mix seems unnecessary, that's already a fixable thing. But maybe that's because we're early adopters, and have early adopter solutions in the frunk :).
L2s are included in the announcement because there is benefit (for Tesla) with no cost (to Tesla)

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Definite doesn't happen cause you don't see it. Some fine logic.
I'm guessing I am lying about my experience since he's never seen anything like that happen. That was exactly the same response I got on the tesla forum when I went to the defense of a guy that was saying tesla needed to add a 360 camera. I said I would personally like it and that they shouldn't attack him about it. within 15 minutes a crew of 4 or 5 decided I was a shill out to denigrate tesla or a fake account created by that guy.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I'm guessing I am lying about my experience since he's never seen anything like that happen. That was exactly the same response I got on the tesla forum when I went to the defense of a guy that was saying tesla needed to add a 360 camera. I said I would personally like it and that they shouldn't attack him about it. within 15 minutes a crew of 4 or 5 decided I was a shill out to denigrate tesla or a fake account created by that guy.
Yeah, I've never experienced a bad EA charging session but that doesn't mean I don't think they really need to fix their network cause there's clearly issues. A lot of EV experiences are anecdotal.

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Instead of retrofitting, I would like to think that Tesla makes a CCS to Tesla adapter that a CCS owner can buy and use at a Super Charger.
Then no government funding.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Honestly I was a little peeved that EVGO is giving Tesla owners free premium tier access to charge at their stations with their Autocharge+ thing and their new Tesla units.
They should definitely not be able to charge for free bc CCS drivers have to pay. We’ll see if EvGo stops the free charging for the Tesla drivers that use Autocharge+.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Let's be honest here. Anyone who drives an EV and is reliant upon DCFC isn't going to park at a charger while not plugged in. As a Tesla driver I've found the entire community to be nothing but friendly, respectful and encouraged by ALL EV adoption. In fact, most of the chatting I've done with other Tesla drivers while charging is usually about the newer EV's coming out and the excitement over them.

If you've found a few incidents where Tesla drivers "ICE'd" for lack of a better term, an EV charger, you've found a very small minority.
just wow. I see that "very small minority" parked in an EV charging space, not plugged in, every day in Portland.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Then no government funding.
I should have said that it would great if they did retrofit while also providing an adapter for stations that haven’t been retrofitted.

But yes, no government money for stations that aren’t retrofitted.

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
Yes, the case I am talking about was locals using the EV space as a personal parking spot. The point being that there's already an ingrained lack of thoughtfulness on the part of some fraction of EV owners who aren't considerate of others.

Things will be VERY different when CCS cars add to the congestion at already congested Tesla chargers. I am certain we both can envision Tesla owners being angry and/or frustrated about it - to the point of some overtly doing something about it. One thing that convinced me NOT to buy a Tesla was an hour on a Tesla forum where a vocal minority shouted down and outright mocked anyone posting honest criticism.

As @dbsb3233 said: even if it is not done with malice the fact is that it can happen and therefore this will not necessarily be the panacea that everyone hopes.
Very true about the Tesla fanboys in Tesla forums. I will admit though, with so many people having a Tesla it provides a lot more YouTube content and or forum activity to pass the time as one is waiting for their MME to arrive.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
This is clearly a more practical solution....
Unless you are intentionally throttling rollout... which Tesla is. That is why they are retrofitting instead of selling adapters.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
They should definitely not be able to charge for free bc CCS drivers have to pay. We’ll see if EvGo stops the free charging for the Tesla drivers that use Autocharge+.
They don't charge for free - they don't have to pay the $12/mo or whatever the fee is to get the cheaper charging rates

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
See, I don’t get the line of thinking where the Telsa owners feel like the Super Charger network should be exclusive. Bc the CCS DCFC is open to Telsa owners and I don’t get the general sense that CCS owners are like, ‘No CCS should be exclusive to CCS owners’.

If you want the EV market to expand, we have to move toward openness.
Except there are a lot of Tesla owners who have never and will likely never charge anywhere except Superchargers, because that's what Tesla's nav routes them to. Many have no idea there is even an alternative because they simply wanted the closed loop system of Tesla. Almost a set it and forget it thing.

Then there is the other group, which I'm a part of. I want EV adoption to increase exponentially and the idea of a charging network being tied to one make of car isn't the path forward. Imagine if Ford, Hyundai, VW etc all had closed charging networks? EV's would fail spectacularly.

Ironically, Tesla's supercharger network is built on the revenue Tesla/Elon generated by selling the regulatory credits to companies like Ford. In essence, Ford drivers paid for the development of the Supercharger network more than Tesla drivers did.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Teslas are so ubiquitous that a lot of the aggression we see sometimes is just plain ignorant EV owners. A lot of Tesla owners I've talked to don't really know much about EVs at all, they just drive a Tesla.
The only problem we've run into like that when charging was actually a Leaf driver, who unplugged us while we were inside the Walmart (the dual CCS/CHAdeMO was the only one open when we arrived).

On social media though, it's a whole different matter. So many of the Tesla peeps there are, well, I won't use the words that come to mind. 😉

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I don't think that will work - completely different protocols that requires an adapter with chips to power the conversion. See old CCS to Tesla adapters that required firmware updates - these were very expensive too. I recall $800+

What you are asking for is very expensive because the adapter can not be "dumb" (piece of plastic + metal) like the Tesla to CCS adapter currently sold by Tesla. Tesla EVs have CCS ECUs built in so they can use the PowerLine/HomePlug communication protocol to talk to CCS chargers.

Some EVGo stalls have CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter because both protocols use CAN-bus. I saw one in Brandon Flasch's video. If you want a cheap adapter... bug your carmaker to install hardware to talk to GB-T (the Chinese standard) / CHAdeMO / Tesla.

Sponsored