John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
So now it makes you wonder if they are gonna just sell some part to let you connect to their plug (more money for them), or I should finally get a teslatap
Tesla Tap will only work at Tesla Destination chargers. If this is ever to happen in NA, they will need some more heavy duty type of adapter or Tesla will need to retrofit chargers with a standard and Tesla connector. As others have said, I doubt we will see this in NA any time soon, unless the government gives Elon a bucket of money to do it.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
A few thoughts:
  • It is a tweet with vague language - it's nothing more than an attention grabber. It's slightly more reliable than a fortune cookie
  • There's no mention of cost - expect to pay a premium for a non-Tesla, especially if the superchargers are busy
  • He's not going to give away the #1 reason to buy a Tesla for nothing and no reason.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Since the cables at super chargers are so short, I wonder how they would even reach the mach e charge port since it's not on the same side as tesla vehicles
Unfortunately it won't unless the Mach-E double parks and takes up 2 parking spots, or Tesla retrofits longer cables, and/ or newer chargers are made with a longer cable.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I wouldn't put it past Tesla to be talking to the government and cut a deal that opens the network to everyone, including modifying chargers. It will be interesting to watch.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
If we could use the Tesla Superchargers, even at only 50 kW it would still make it possible to get through West Virginia on I-77. Assuming that EA doesn't get into Charleston, West Virginia first.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla to open charging network 1626871853963

smartino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RR Mach E First Edition, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Unfortunately it won't unless the Mach-E double parks and takes up 2 parking spots, or Tesla retrofits longer cables, and/ or newer chargers are made with a longer cable.
Or if there is an adaptor that could be made long enough to reach when you pull into a Supercharger.

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
A while back, Tesla started opening up some chargers in Europe as was pointed out, because of the common CCS interface. Not technically sure how this would be handled in the US. I'm a Tesla owner and see this as a good thing. EA has three or four partners each with varying degrees of competence.

gafear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER
Country flag
The most logical hypotheses for what people are bringing here
- I bet there would be an adaptor, probably sold by Tesla, people that want the flexibility would need to buy
- I imagine it would be more expensive for non Teslas. Just like EA has a member and non member rate. It doesn't matter since this is for fast charging and not to replace your Main charging solution
- I doubt that they would jack up the price on the adaptor or the rate to make it impossible for people to use. Remember Tesla does not make money on the cars (last quarter all the profits were from govt grants and Bitcoin), they need to find new revenue streams to keep the business alive

The only caveat is that Tesla is not known for sticking with deadlines, so I dont think we can trust the end of the year. Overall this is great news, accessing EA and SC network should be welcoming for everyone, it gives virtually no issue on range

ManInBlack

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prem. Mach E SR AWD; Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I guess I don’t understand why we don’t, as a society, just make the decision to do the right thing and invest in the infrastructure ourselves (politicians that will actually lead for people) not relying on corporations or single individuals (eg Musk) to decide how we plan our future on this planet.
The same with clean energy. We need nuclear, wind and solar to take off and we can’t rely on re-regulating the markets to ensure that corporations or individuals make bets in technology in order to make tons of money. Fair compensation for the future of the planet and young generation. It’s the ONE thing we can’t screw up. Money and markets are all fungible but the planet? Not so much. The planet will be fine btw, it’s just a matter of whether or not we want to stick around on this blue rock.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Tesla to open charging network to other EVs later this year.

Oh man — I can already hear the Tesla owner’s complaints on this. Most are already upset when they find another EV using a destination charger at a hotel.
I am going to be very curious to see what Elon wants in return. He said he made all his patents available a while ago, but the devil is in the details; the terms were so painful that nobody in thier right mind would take him up on this.

I also wonder what is going to happen when you pull a MME up to an already overcrowded supercharger location. There have been fights already and this is going to make it worse.

With Elon, trust but verify. Personally, I love what he is doing with SpaceX, but the recent issues with the FAA regarding the tower in Texas just remind me of all the steps that are being skipped to achieve speed.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Or if there is an adaptor that could be made long enough to reach when you pull into a Supercharger.
The newer V3 superchargers have liquid cooling in the cables. I don't think Tesla would want to have adapters that extend the cables further possibly compromising the system. They would have to retrofit to longer cables. The cables are already serviced and replaced on a regular basis (supposedly every 2000 uses), so it's something that's doable down the road.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The most logical hypotheses for what people are bringing here
- I bet there would be an adaptor, probably sold by Tesla, people that want the flexibility would need to buy
- I imagine it would be more expensive for non Teslas. Just like EA has a member and non member rate. It doesn't matter since this is for fast charging and not to replace your Main charging solution
- I doubt that they would jack up the price on the adaptor or the rate to make it impossible for people to use. Remember Tesla does not make money on the cars (last quarter all the profits were from govt grants and Bitcoin), they need to find new revenue streams to keep the business alive

The only caveat is that Tesla is not known for sticking with deadlines, so I dont think we can trust the end of the year. Overall this is great news, accessing EA and SC network should be welcoming for everyone, it gives virtually no issue on range
Adapter won't be a good option, as I noted in the post above. The V3 cables are liquid cooled.

Also, the Model 3 and Y are profitable. People have crunched the numbers and estimate the Y generates a 27% profit margin.

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
Just looked at my Tesla app: of the supercharging stations near me I see:

5/5 avail
7/8 avail
20/24 avail
20/20 avail

So, generally speaking, there should only be "lines" on very busy days -- holidays etc.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
The newer V3 superchargers have liquid cooling in the cables. I don't think Tesla would want to have adapters that extend the cables further possibly compromising the system. They would have to retrofit to longer cables. The cables are already serviced and replaced on a regular basis (supposedly every 2000 uses), so it's something that's doable down the road.
If using the adapter limited the total power output, and the adapter/extension was of a thicker gauged wire, cooling of the adapter/extension probably wouldn't be necessary.
Sponsored